News Disney's theme park no-fly-zones may be at risk from new legislation

Brian

I just “love” the idea of endangering people for political gain.
It's obviously political in nature (as is anything coming out of Congress), but the TFRs have been more or less to keep skywriters and other aerial advertisers, as well as the famous "$29 helicopter tours" out of a large swath of WDW's airspace, at least at a certain altitude.

I will not get into the security aspect of it out of concern for "inspiring" malicious actors, and I'd encourage everyone to do the same.

Figgy1

Premium Member
It's obviously political in nature (as is anything coming out of Congress), but the TFRs have been more or less to keep skywriters and other aerial advertisers, as well as the famous "$29 helicopter tours" out of a large swath of WDW's airspace, at least at a certain altitude.

I will not get into the security aspect of it out of concern for "inspiring" malicious actors, and I'd encourage everyone to do the same.
Except this was enacted to preclude bad actors. When enacted it had nothing to do with banners and such https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_3634.html
Also there would be a safety concern due to the volume of traffic

Jlasoon

How is this political if none of the other theme parks in the US have the same benefit?

Disney wanted to go after the state of FL. You made your point Disney, move along, take the L or this is gonna get real ugly for you. I say this as someone who is local, I live near Orlando, I've had passes for decades & have done business with the parks. I'm sympathetic. But with that being said, I'm also a realist. Just move on. You can't win this fight.

You can't pack up a theme park & leave. But the state of FL can make your business experience in the state of FL a living HELL for the forceable future. The state is also getting more & more RED by the minute. You've become 'persona non grata' in FL. Fix this ASAP!

Last edited:

Brian

Except this was enacted to preclude bad actors. When enacted it had nothing to do with banners and such.
Just as RCID was dissolved to supposedly "level the playing field." You don't need to give the real or complete reasoning as to why you're doing something in order to do it. That said, there were some security concerns post-9/11, but as I said earlier, I will not get into them or those matters in general in order to avoid giving any ideas to anyone who may wish to do harm to guests and cast.

Speaking to everyone now:

Since we're early in the thread, and there is a tendency for some to take others' words out of context: I have no issue with the TFR as it stands, nor do I have an issue with rescinding it, so long as it is done in a way that is not considered retaliatory. Considering that the sponsors/co-sponsors responsible for this legislation have come right out and said "Woke corporations shouldn’t get any favors from the government,” I think it's fair to call this retaliatory.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Since we're early in the thread, and there is a tendency for some to take others' words out of context: I have no issue with the TFR as it stands, nor do I have an issue with rescinding it, so long as it is done in a way that is not considered retaliatory. Considering that the sponsors/co-sponsors responsible for this legislation have come right out and said "Woke corporations shouldn’t get any favors from the government,” I think it's fair to call this retaliatory.
Yup.

There's no compelling national security interest in keeping the TFR. But it's also fine if it stays. And it's clear that this is targeted legislation and that's not okay. And it also stands zero chance of passing.

MagicHappens1971

How is this political if none of the other theme parks in the US have the same benefit?

Disney wanted to go after the state of FL. You made your point Disney, move along, take the L or this is gonna get real ugly for you. I say this as someone who is local, I live near Orlando, I've had passes for decades & have done business with the parks. I'm sympathetic. But with that being said, I'm also a realist. Just move on. You can't win this fight.

You can't pack up a theme park & leave. But the state of FL can make your business experience in the state of FL a living HELL for the forceable future. The state is also getting more & more RED by the minute. You've become 'persona non grata' in FL. Fix this ASAP!
This wasn’t introduced in Florida. It was introduced in Congress. It only has one Co-sponsor Rep from FL. The other 6 or so are not.

I won’t even begin to discuss how nonsensical the rest of the content of your post is. This is America, we have free speech that the government can’t retaliate against.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member

What does Disney need to fix?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Here's an interesting thought.

Could a future presidential administration rescind the TFR unilaterally? My understanding is that the TFR was an FAA regulation, not legislation. Legislation could repeal it, but I think it could be repealed on its own of the FAA was so inclined.

Brian

Yup.

There's no compelling national security interest in keeping the TFR. But it's also fine if it stays. And it's clear that this is targeted legislation and that's not okay. And it also stands zero chance of passing.
This right here. The only possible way it gets passed into law is if 1.) it gets House GOP leadership's support (unlikely), and 2.) it is lumped in with the ongoing debt ceiling negotiations (even more unlikely). Even then, it's still a huge long shot.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Here's an interesting thought.

Could a future presidential administration rescind the TFR unilaterally? My understanding is that the TFR was an FAA regulation, not legislation. Legislation could repeal it, but I think it could be repealed on its own of the FAA was so inclined.
I believe the FAA could do it but would not be possible with an EO

mikejs78

Premium Member

That's called retaliation for free speech, which is, last time I checked, unconstitutional.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sure but the FAA reports to the DOT and the head of the DOT is a cabinet secretary.
Absolutely! Direction could come from the top but I believe there would still have to be a process. The FAA is usually a stickler for rules/process and they're a royal pita if you ever have to deal with them;)

Trauma

Ok so let me ask this if you think this should be rescinded.

What benefit does anyone gain from it being rescinded?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's called retaliation for free speech, which is, last time I checked, unconstitutional.
There's a real practical question about whether the courts would opine on legislative intent.

For the sake of illustration, pretend my State has a unicameral legislature with 100 members. I write a bill and I explicitly say "I'm writing this bill to screw Mike's company because I don't like the mean things he said about me." The bill passes 65-35. Five other legislators join me in stating that their support of the bill was because they wanted to screw Mike. 40 legislators say the support the bill for entirely legitimate and neutral reasons. 20 legislators voted for the bill but did not publicly express any opinion about why.

The court is unlikely to strike that down merely based on the retaliatory motivation of the bill's author and the handful of legislators who voted for it for retaliatory reasons. You can't assign the motivations of individual legislators to the entire body.

What benefit does anyone gain from it being rescinded?

Trauma

There's a real practical question about whether the courts would opine on legislative intent.

For the sake of illustration, pretend my State has a unicameral legislature with 100 members. I write a bill and I explicitly say "I'm writing this bill to screw Mike's company because I don't like the mean things he said about me." The bill passes 65-35. Five other legislators join me in stating that their support of the bill was because they wanted to screw Mike. 40 legislators say the support the bill for entirely legitimate and neutral reasons. 20 legislators voted for the bill but did not publicly express any opinion about why.

The court is unlikely to strike that down merely based on the retaliatory motivation of the bill's author and the handful of legislators who voted for it for retaliatory reasons. You can't assign the motivations of individual legislators to the entire body.

So let’s reduce the safety of millions of guests to benefit a helicopter tour company?

Absolute BS sorry need a better reason.

No Name

You may want to look into something called the first amendment.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So let’s reduce the safety of millions of guests to benefit a helicopter tour company?
Exactly zero people are safer now than they'd be if this were rescinded. This is a relic of post-9/11 safetyism and security theater. It was supposed to have been repealed 20 years ago.

Absolute BS sorry need a better reason.
That's not how it works. The burden is on the regulators to justify why a restriction is necessary, not on me to justify why it's unnecessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom