News Disney's theme park no-fly-zones may be at risk from new legislation

Trauma

Exactly zero people are safer now than they'd be if this were rescinded. This is a relic of post-9/11 safetyism and security theater. It was supposed to have been repealed 20 years ago.

That's not how it works. The burden is on the regulators to justify why a restriction is necessary, not on me to justify why it's unnecessary.
I disagree. The regulators at some point felt it was necessary.

I would say the burden would now be to show why it isn’t.

Trauma

From my conservative prospective the only argument that makes sense to me is that other major theme parks don’t share the same advantage.

To that I would respond that instead of taking Disneys advantage away, give the other major theme parks no fly zones.

Ayla

How is this political if none of the other theme parks in the US have the same benefit?

Disney wanted to go after the state of FL. You made your point Disney, move along, take the L or this is gonna get real ugly for you. I say this as someone who is local, I live near Orlando, I've had passes for decades & have done business with the parks. I'm sympathetic. But with that being said, I'm also a realist. Just move on. You can't win this fight.

You can't pack up a theme park & leave. But the state of FL can make your business experience in the state of FL a living HELL for the forceable future. The state is also getting more & more RED by the minute. You've become 'persona non grata' in FL. Fix this ASAP!
None of the other theme parks in the US are terrorist targets.

As for the rest of your post...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Maybe voters should hold these legislators responsible for doing things that help the American people and not a personal vendetta because someone took a leak in someone's Wheaties we might be a better country. Everyone votes, make your voice heard.
They did in November... 🤷‍♂️

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there's a 3 nautical mile radius protected space up to 3000 feet above the surface over sporting events with seating capacity over 30,000. My understanding is also that the the same 3,000 foot altitude 3 nautical mile limit is what is applied to Disney. So, again, it's more of a cafeteria style selection of to whom rules should apply. 30k is probably a good number so if other theme parks, music festivals, etc have +30k capacity then we should be looking to expand protection instead of selectively reducing protections.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
How is this political if none of the other theme parks in the US have the same benefit?

Disney wanted to go after the state of FL. You made your point Disney, move along, take the L or this is gonna get real ugly for you. I say this as someone who is local, I live near Orlando, I've had passes for decades & have done business with the parks. I'm sympathetic. But with that being said, I'm also a realist. Just move on. You can't win this fight.

You can't pack up a theme park & leave. But the state of FL can make your business experience in the state of FL a living HELL for the forceable future. The state is also getting more & more RED by the minute. You've become 'persona non grata' in FL. Fix this ASAP!
Can I have whatever you're on? Sounds intense.

Chi84

Premium Member

You’re okay with the idea that if you criticize the government in this country, it can come after you?

Smiley/OCD

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there's a 3 nautical mile radius protected space up to 3000 feet above the surface over sporting events with seating capacity over 30,000. My understanding is also that the the same 3,000 foot altitude 3 nautical mile limit is what is applied to Disney. So, again, it's more of a cafeteria style selection of to whom rules should apply. 30k is probably a good number so if other theme parks, music festivals, etc have +30k capacity then we should be looking to expand protection instead of selectively reducing protections.
Nope…MetLife stadium is in the landing path of Newark Liberty and Teterboro is a few miles away from the stadium…planes fly over ALL the time.

Lilofan

Fyi - tourism and agriculture , some of the lowest paying industries nationwide are the top two drivers of income for the Sunshine State but you probably already know that.

Brian

Having spent the 1st five years of my life living in a neighborhood that was in one of the flight paths for LAX, I'd prefer my Disney bubble not be impacted by the noise of the hundreds of flights taking off and landing at MCO daily.
The self-described "aviation geeks" can probably speak to this better, but the runways at MCO run N/S, so the risk of having commercial planes flying at low altitudes over WDW when inbound/outbound to/from MCO is low.

rio

I wouldn't be surprised if this were a concession in the budget bill. Even if the intent is bad most simply aren't going to care.

What this DOES show though is that DeSantis's strategy of attacking Disney IS favorable and IS working. Or at least enough people seem to think so that additional politicians want to get involved as well.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

The FAA TFR

Screenshot_20230510-144300.png

ABQ

I don't think any bad actor is concerned at all with a TFR if they are planning to cause harm. It's not as if WDW has jets on standby looking to be scrambled and intercept an aircraft violating the restricted air space the way Washington, DC does. Safety isn't the real concern, the annoying noise and is. Who knows, with more aircraft operating in the area, maybe the sky writers will be pushed out of the way, or get worse?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom