Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

doctornick

So, what's up with ESPN+?

Last quarter it had a large loss of $65M (Q2):

1723058478359.png

Then this quarter, it was significantly profitable at $66M (Q3):

1723058441871.png

A total of $131M difference between the two quarters. I ask because keeping that in the black seems like it will be big part of having the streaming services overall be consistently profitable.

BrianLo

So, what's up with ESPN+?

Last quarter it had a large loss of $65M (Q2):

View attachment 807213

Then this quarter, it was significantly profitable at $66M (Q3):

View attachment 807212

A total of $131M difference between the two quarters. I ask because keeping that in the black seems like it will be big part of having the streaming services overall be consistently profitable.

D+ was not profitable this quarter, but the overall streaming service with ESPN+ was. Inverse of last quarter. Mostly because D+ ARPU domestically dropped a bit, which they told us would be the case on last earnings call. Ultimately everything should be fine next quarter and continue to climb with price hikes.

doctornick

D+ was not profitable this quarter, but the overall streaming service with ESPN+ was. Inverse of last quarter. Mostly because D+ ARPU domestically dropped a bit, which they told us would be the case on last earnings call. Ultimately everything should be fine next quarter and continue to climb with price hikes.

I saw that, but it wasn't my question. I am wondering what is up with how and why the ESPN+ profit/loss changed so dramatically the last two quarters.

BrianLo

I saw that, but it wasn't my question. I am wondering what is up with how and why the ESPN+ profit/loss changed so dramatically the last two quarters.

Really hard to say, they don't break it out properly.

"Growth in ESPN+ subscription revenue due to higher rates" - which hopefully are sustained?

Maybe a bundling mix change or advertising change (the core ESPN they highlight as a 17% growth in advertising)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom