Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

doctornick

This scene with Josh Gad is burned into my memory!

Artemis Fowl is actually a decent book series and the film butchered it so badly that it is inexplicable. Not in a "that wasn't in a book" way, but it didn't even use anything that make the books interesting (basically with the lead character being a brilliant but devious criminal mastermind as a teenager). I actually think it would be a good source for a well executed D+ series if they were more faithful.

It makes me worried about their plans for Percy Jackson, but at least that has already had poorly received films

Slpy3270

Just wait. When the writers strike is over (and it will) the number of shows and movies getting pulled from streaming to avoid residuals will skyrocket.

Not even Netflix and Amazon will resist the temptation to pull their own shows and movies off.

Slpy3270

Interestingly, the TV adaptation of The Right Stuff is not listed for removal despite being a Warner Bros. production. I'm guessing with all the turmoil at WB right now, they would not want Disney to stop paying them that money.
Spoke too soon. Oh well. It's not like I was that hooked into it.

I hope WB doesn't give it the tax write-off treatment when they get the rights back.

Phroobar

Just wait. When the writers strike is over (and it will) the number of shows and movies getting pulled from streaming to avoid residuals will skyrocket.

Not even Netflix and Amazon will resist the temptation to pull their own shows and movies off.
That isn't necessarily a bad thing. There is a lot of cheaply made crap of Netflix.

BrianLo

Disney+ needs to be more Apple TV+ than Netflix. I think Chapek's folly was losing sight of that.

What I mean by that is curated, prestige. But a bit of a stronger cadence release than Apple TV+ (which is honestly surprisingly good). FX and Searchlight know how to do this well already.

The element that is surprisingly the weakest is the 'Disney' aspect to the service. I know they are mortified of 'general entertainment'. But as mentioned there's a lot of tween book series that would make for excellent TV length adaptations.

Slpy3270

Disney+ needs to be more Apple TV+ than Netflix. I think Chapek's folly was losing sight of that.

What I mean by that is curated, prestige. But a bit of a stronger cadence release than Apple TV+ (which is honestly surprisingly good). FX and Searchlight know how to do this well already.

The element that is surprisingly the weakest is the 'Disney' aspect to the service. I know they are mortified of 'general entertainment'. But as mentioned there's a lot of tween book series that would make for excellent TV length adaptations.

Apple TV+ has more internet attention than actual viewers, but go on...

BrianLo

Apple TV+ has more internet attention than actual viewers, but go on...

Their success ratio for content spend is far superior to Netflix though. I get that Netflix has way more viewers, but there is just so much garbage and a bit of a 'the cream will rise to the top' mentality that doesn't actually make for a good business venture.

Perhaps it's just me, but I find Apple TV+ content surprisingly enjoyable. Netflix has its occasional non-reality tv standouts.

DCBaker

Premium Member
New WSJ article on the future of Hulu.

"Hulu’s parents are trying to bring an end to their uneasy marriage.

Late last year, top executives from Disney and Comcast, the co-owners of Hulu, visited a New York law office to give depositions in a dispute over the streaming service, people familiar with the situation said. At issue is Comcast’s claim that Disney, the majority owner, injured Hulu by failing to launch it outside the U.S.

The arbitration case, which the companies haven’t discussed publicly, is part of a larger, multiyear battle between Disney and Comcast over one of the streaming industry’s biggest players, and how to divvy up the spoils of its rise. It has featured claims of broken promises, legal threats and dueling valuations.

Now, the companies must overcome that baggage to strike a deal that would lead to Comcast’s exit from the business. Under an agreement between the companies, starting in 2024, Comcast can require Disney, which owns two-thirds of Hulu, to buy its one-third stake, or Disney can require Comcast to sell.

Both sides want to do a deal, but when each has assessed Hulu’s value in recent years, they have been tens of billions of dollars apart, the people familiar with the situation said. Hulu can be valued no lower than $27.5 billion under the pact between the companies.

Disney Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger said on an earnings call this month that the companies have had cordial discussions and signaled his desire to give consumers a single streaming offering that includes Hulu content. “How that ultimately unfolds is, to some extent, in the hands of Comcast,” he said.

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts told investors at a conference days later that the “majority case” is that Disney will buy Comcast’s stake. Hulu’s value, he said, should be based on the hypothetical idea that it would be put up for sale in an auction for anyone—including any major media or tech company—to buy it. “The job is to then give us one-third of that value,” he said. “So I think we have a very valuable position.”

In early 2024, each company will do an assessment of Hulu’s value again, and if they are still very far apart, an independent third party will be enlisted to make a determination, people familiar with the matter said.

“These two companies have a long-term, intricate dance of a relationship, and there are a ton of levers that can be pulled to get to a deal,” said Bernard Gershon, a media consultant and former Disney executive.

Each company has its separate streaming ambitions beyond Hulu. Disney launched its flagship service Disney+ in 2019, while Comcast launched its Peacock service in 2020.

As their fight over Hulu plays out, Comcast has stopped funding Hulu, people familiar with Hulu’s finances said. Disney has provided the equivalent of a bridge loan, so that the streamer gets needed cash, they said.

If Comcast and Disney reach a deal on overall ownership of Hulu, they would settle up on the past payments and could resolve the arbitration as part of a wider transaction, the people said.

Even without a deal, Iger is already taking steps to integrate Hulu with a plan to fold its content into Disney+ in the U.S. by the end of the year—by adding a Hulu “tile”—while maintaining a stand-alone Hulu app. The initiative was known within Disney as “Project Hulk,” and has been under way for more than a year, but came as a surprise to top Comcast executives, people familiar with the situation said."

Full article below.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
New WSJ article on the future of Hulu.

"Hulu’s parents are trying to bring an end to their uneasy marriage.

Late last year, top executives from Disney and Comcast, the co-owners of Hulu, visited a New York law office to give depositions in a dispute over the streaming service, people familiar with the situation said. At issue is Comcast’s claim that Disney, the majority owner, injured Hulu by failing to launch it outside the U.S.

The arbitration case, which the companies haven’t discussed publicly, is part of a larger, multiyear battle between Disney and Comcast over one of the streaming industry’s biggest players, and how to divvy up the spoils of its rise. It has featured claims of broken promises, legal threats and dueling valuations.

Now, the companies must overcome that baggage to strike a deal that would lead to Comcast’s exit from the business. Under an agreement between the companies, starting in 2024, Comcast can require Disney, which owns two-thirds of Hulu, to buy its one-third stake, or Disney can require Comcast to sell.

Both sides want to do a deal, but when each has assessed Hulu’s value in recent years, they have been tens of billions of dollars apart, the people familiar with the situation said. Hulu can be valued no lower than $27.5 billion under the pact between the companies.

Disney Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger said on an earnings call this month that the companies have had cordial discussions and signaled his desire to give consumers a single streaming offering that includes Hulu content. “How that ultimately unfolds is, to some extent, in the hands of Comcast,” he said.

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts told investors at a conference days later that the “majority case” is that Disney will buy Comcast’s stake. Hulu’s value, he said, should be based on the hypothetical idea that it would be put up for sale in an auction for anyone—including any major media or tech company—to buy it. “The job is to then give us one-third of that value,” he said. “So I think we have a very valuable position.”

In early 2024, each company will do an assessment of Hulu’s value again, and if they are still very far apart, an independent third party will be enlisted to make a determination, people familiar with the matter said.

“These two companies have a long-term, intricate dance of a relationship, and there are a ton of levers that can be pulled to get to a deal,” said Bernard Gershon, a media consultant and former Disney executive.

Each company has its separate streaming ambitions beyond Hulu. Disney launched its flagship service Disney+ in 2019, while Comcast launched its Peacock service in 2020.

As their fight over Hulu plays out, Comcast has stopped funding Hulu, people familiar with Hulu’s finances said. Disney has provided the equivalent of a bridge loan, so that the streamer gets needed cash, they said.

If Comcast and Disney reach a deal on overall ownership of Hulu, they would settle up on the past payments and could resolve the arbitration as part of a wider transaction, the people said.

Even without a deal, Iger is already taking steps to integrate Hulu with a plan to fold its content into Disney+ in the U.S. by the end of the year—by adding a Hulu “tile”—while maintaining a stand-alone Hulu app. The initiative was known within Disney as “Project Hulk,” and has been under way for more than a year, but came as a surprise to top Comcast executives, people familiar with the situation said."

Full article below.

Lmao this company leaks like a sieve.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Comcast pulled their content from Hulu. And according to this article, they stopped supporting Hulu.

They actively devalued Hulu.

Meanwhile, Disney has been pumping new and original content into Hulu.

I don't think an arbiter will be kind to Comcast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom