Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's not gonna happen so you might as well take your bets off. Not only does Disney only hold the North American rights to the movie, but they see it as an embarrassment and would like to keep it buried.

It's pretty easy to tell they're embarrassed by the movie just by looking at the DVD release (the only legal means to get the movie in the States currently): zero extras, no additional languages, and a non-anamorphic widescreen presentation that's obviously a phoned-in Laserdisc master.
Yeah, but a great way to embarrass a rival!

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney’s prowess as an entertainment powerhouse is undisputed. Aaron LaBerge, chief technology officer of the Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) division, argues that the company also has also built an industry-leading competency in ad tech.

Over the last several years, LaBerge’s team has created its own advertising-delivery stack from the ground up, centered on the proprietary Disney Ad Server. The company deployed the new Disney Ad Server on Hulu last year — and it’s now also powering Disney+ with ads, which launched last month. Currently, the Disney Ad Server delivers some 500 million ad impressions per day.

“What you saw with ads on Disney+ was the first product to launch on that ad server from an end-to-end perspective,” says LaBerge.

Why did Disney build its own proprietary technology for digital ads? According to LaBerge, owning that piece of the chain gives the company greater flexibility and control, in order to prioritize delivery behavior for ad clients and its own business. At the same time, the Disney Ad Server is designed to be able to integrate with partner ad solutions — on Disney’s own timetable, without having to rely on a third-party vendor, as some streaming rivals do. (Netflix, for example, has teamed with Microsoft to run ads off the Xandr platform, which Microsoft acquired from AT&T.)

The development of the Disney Ad Server is “focused on our continued commitment to the advertising business,” LaBerge says.

So far, the Mouse House hasn’t disclosed how many people have taken Disney+ Basic With Ads ($7.99/month, priced 27% less than the no-ads plan at $10.99/month) since it launched Dec. 8 in the U.S., or a timeline for the international expansion of the cheaper product.

Execs will likely shed some light on the Disney+ ad-supported tier when the Mouse House reports December 2022 quarter earnings (Q1 of Disney’s 2023 fiscal year) on Feb. 8. It will be the first call with returning CEO Bob Iger — who resumed the helm after the Disney board abruptly booted Bob Chapek from the Magic Kingdom in November. Prior to that, the company this week (on Wednesday, Jan. 25) plans to provide an update on its advertising ops with the livestreamed Disney Advertising Tech & Data Showcase, leading up to its May upfronts presentation for marketers."

Full article -

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"Disney’s prowess as an entertainment powerhouse is undisputed. Aaron LaBerge, chief technology officer of the Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) division, argues that the company also has also built an industry-leading competency in ad tech.

Over the last several years, LaBerge’s team has created its own advertising-delivery stack from the ground up, centered on the proprietary Disney Ad Server. The company deployed the new Disney Ad Server on Hulu last year — and it’s now also powering Disney+ with ads, which launched last month. Currently, the Disney Ad Server delivers some 500 million ad impressions per day.

“What you saw with ads on Disney+ was the first product to launch on that ad server from an end-to-end perspective,” says LaBerge.

Why did Disney build its own proprietary technology for digital ads? According to LaBerge, owning that piece of the chain gives the company greater flexibility and control, in order to prioritize delivery behavior for ad clients and its own business. At the same time, the Disney Ad Server is designed to be able to integrate with partner ad solutions — on Disney’s own timetable, without having to rely on a third-party vendor, as some streaming rivals do. (Netflix, for example, has teamed with Microsoft to run ads off the Xandr platform, which Microsoft acquired from AT&T.)

The development of the Disney Ad Server is “focused on our continued commitment to the advertising business,” LaBerge says.

So far, the Mouse House hasn’t disclosed how many people have taken Disney+ Basic With Ads ($7.99/month, priced 27% less than the no-ads plan at $10.99/month) since it launched Dec. 8 in the U.S., or a timeline for the international expansion of the cheaper product.

Execs will likely shed some light on the Disney+ ad-supported tier when the Mouse House reports December 2022 quarter earnings (Q1 of Disney’s 2023 fiscal year) on Feb. 8. It will be the first call with returning CEO Bob Iger — who resumed the helm after the Disney board abruptly booted Bob Chapek from the Magic Kingdom in November. Prior to that, the company this week (on Wednesday, Jan. 25) plans to provide an update on its advertising ops with the livestreamed Disney Advertising Tech & Data Showcase, leading up to its May upfronts presentation for marketers."

Full article -

The answer to why is easy, so Disney doesn't have to pay someone else to run ads on their own service.

Phroobar

Does anyone have the ads version of Disney+? How frequent are the ads? What kind of ads are they? It is just a the beginning of the movie or is it every half hour or something?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Does anyone have the ads version of Disney+? How frequent are the ads? What kind of ads are they? It is just a the beginning of the movie or is it every half hour or something?
This question has been asked before with no response.

I can't speak for everyone, but I suspect a large majority of posters here that have subscribed to D+ would be on the yearly ad-free tier.

But here are a few articles that describe the ads and how frequent (Google is your friend):

Basically it appears to be an average of 4 mins of ads for every hour of content evenly split across the length of the content of 45-60 seconds worth of several 15 second ads. So for a typical series you're getting 3 ad breaks whereas a movie will get 4 or maybe more. Pretty standard as Hulu and Netflix do about the same.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Ghost93

Where the heck is So Dear to My Heart from 1948?
I also have no idea why So Dear to My Heart isn't on the platform. I remember seeing it as a child in the 1990s on VHS; as far as I remember, there was nothing objectionable about it.

Maybe because it has Bobby Driscoll and Luana Patten, Disney fears people may mistake it for Song of the South and complain? That would be some odd "guilty by association" reasoning, but I can't think of any other reason Disney would object to it being on the platform.

Or maybe Disney feels there just isn't enough of an audience for it. It was never a popular movie.

Animaniac93-98

I also have no idea why So Dear to My Heart isn't on the platform. I remember seeing it as a child in the 1990s on VHS; as far as I remember, there was nothing objectionable about it.

Maybe because it has Bobby Driscoll and Luana Patten, Disney fears people may mistake it for Song of the South and complain? That would be some odd "guilty by association" reasoning, but I can't think of any other reason Disney would object to it being on the platform.

Or maybe Disney feels there just isn't enough of an audience for it. It was never a popular movie.

It's available on DVD through Disney Movie Club.

Both that movie and Summer Magic star Burl Ives and neither are on Disney+. I think that may be the main reason where they have some issue with his estate and streaming rights.

Ghost93

It's available on DVD through Disney Movie Club.

Both that movie and Summer Magic star Burl Ives and neither are on Disney+. I think that may be the main reason where they have some issue with his estate and streaming rights.
Does his estate not want his legacy to live on?

DCBaker

Premium Member
"After lengthy negotiations, Fox Entertainment and Hulu have closed a new multi-year deal for in-season streaming rights to the broadcast network’s primetime series. The agreement also includes an extensive multi-platform marketing partnership.

Under the pact, all Fox primetime entertainment programming – ranging from Family Guy and The Simpsons to The Cleaning Lady and new breakout drama The Accused to The Masked Singer and Next Level Chef — will continue to stream on the Disney-controlled Hulu the next day following their linear telecast. Additionally, the deal adds a new element — joint Fox and Hulu branding across all Fox marketing efforts for its programming on the network’s platforms and beyond as well as on Hulu. Financial details are not been disclosed.

Word of the new deal comes on the heels of Fox announcing last week two-year renewals for its animated stalwarts, The Simpsons, Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers, all produced by Disney TV Studios’ 20th Television Animation. The three series are big library titles on Disney+ (The Simpsons) and Hulu (Family Guy, Bob’s Burgers), and them staying on Hulu in-season was a factor in the renewal, I hear. While the pickup negotiations were separate from the talks on the new Fox-Hulu deal, they were overarching.

The new Fox-Hulu pact ends months of uncertainty as the companies’ previous agreement was set to expire this September. As Deadline has reported, the independent network last year had started asking outside studios for flexibility to be able to sell shows to a new in-season stacking partner should the Hulu deal not get renewed. That was something WBTV — as well as other Fox suppliers — had an issue with as the move could have impacted a potential library (out-of-season) streaming sale, hindering some negotiations for new projects.

The renewal and expansion of the Fox-Hulu deal, along with the program output deal the two companies announced last February that allows Hulu to stream all out-of-season episodes of Fox-owned unscripted and scripted programs, underscores the continuing symbiotic relationship between the network and the streamer despite them not being corporately tied anymore."

Full article below.

doctornick

I wonder whether the deal allows for Hulu programming to be shifted to Disney+ in the US. I would imagine yes and it would not be a barrier to rolling Hulu into D+ (a la Star elsewhere) but the Hulu co-branding of Fox sows makes me wonder.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Hulu is laying out the welcome mat for the Hill family: the streamer is reviving King of the Hill from 20th Television Animation, with co-creators Mike Judge and Greg Daniels set to return, as well as the beloved former cast.

Judge will reprise his role as Hank Hill, while Kathy Najimy will be back as his wife Peggy, Stephen Root as Bill, Pamela Adlon as Bobby Hill, Johnny Hardwick as Dale and Lauren Tom as Minh. The reboot has been in the works since the 2017 San Francisco Sketchfest, where Judge and Daniels reconnected with the cast and celebrated the 20th anniversary of the old Fox animated show.

Saladin Patterson (The Wonder Years, The Last O.G.) will join the production as executive producer and showrunner. 3 Arts’ Michael Rotenberg and Howard Klein, and Bandera Entertainment’s Dustin Davis will serve as executive producers.

“We are all so excited to welcome back Hank, Peggy and Bobby, and to see what they have to say about the world we live in and continue the conversations we began years ago,” said Craig Erwich, president, ABC Entertainment, Hulu and Disney Branded Television Streaming Originals, in a statement. “This show has all of the perfect ingredients to meet this moment in animation at Hulu, and we’re so thankful to be having those conversations alongside this talented group.”"

Full article below.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom