Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

CaptainAmerica

That would be convenient and get more guests to remain in D+ longer rather than to go elsewhere, which is the whole point.
No, that is not the "whole" point, it's one point.

The other businesses are not just being used to boost Disney+. They're also using Disney+ to boost the other businesses. This Shop Disney thing was not a way to take merch-buyers and get them to subscribe (or stay subscribed) to D+, it's a way to take D+ subs and turn them into merch-buyers. It's DTC benefiting Consumer Products, not Consumer Products benefiting DTC.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

The other businesses are not just being used to boost Disney+. They're also using Disney+ to boost the other businesses. This Shop Disney thing was not a way to take merch-buyers and get them to subscribe (or stay subscribed) to D+, it's a way to take D+ subs and turn them into merch-buyers. It's DTC benefiting Consumer Products, not Consumer Products benefiting DTC.
I'm waiting for Disney to set up a merch kiosk in my living room.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney Irish

Premium Member

You obviously haven't been paying attention then to Chapek's comments in the recent months on the future of D+.

For example during his recent interview for WSJ Tech Live, he talked about the blending of D+ with other parts of the business, such as theme parks.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this isn't about just this current trial on selling merch in D+. Its a first step in a long term plan about tailoring the experience for the Disney consumer in all aspects of their interactions with Disney from theme parks, to movies, to merch sales, to streaming all with D+ at the center of it.

Deadline also covered this back as part of their coverage for D23:

So if you don't see the long term goal of making D+ the central entry point for Disney consumers then you aren't seeing the writing on the wall.

CaptainAmerica

You obviously haven't been paying attention then to Chapek's comments in the recent months on the future of D+.

For example during his recent interview for WSJ Tech Live, he talked about the blending of D+ with other parts of the business, such as theme parks.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this isn't about just this current trial on selling merch in D+. Its a first step in a long term plan about tailoring the experience for the Disney consumer in all aspects of their interactions with Disney from theme parks, to movies, to merch sales, to streaming all with D+ at the center of it.

Deadline also covered this back as part of their coverage for D23:

So if you don't see the long term goal of making D+ the central entry point for Disney consumers then you aren't seeing the writing on the wall.
Try to pay attention junior, I'll speak slowly.

I'm not debating what they're doing, I'm trying to explain to you why. Nobody cares about driving subs anymore, that's a very 2019-2021 mindset. The point now is profitability. Yes, Disney+ is meant to be the funnel for all of your interactions with The Walt Disney Company, but it's not a funnel for funnel's sake. A single purchase of a $400 Captain Marvel shield is worth five years of the revenue of a D+ sub. A person who takes their family on a cruise or to Walt Disney World one single time is worth probably 100 years of the revenue of a D+ sub. So yes, they'll gladly take their $8 a month from as many hundreds of millions of people as they're able to get, but the real pot of gold is in converting a fraction of those $8 people into $400 or $4,000 or $40,000 people.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Try to pay attention junior, I'll speak slowly.

I'm not debating what they're doing, I'm trying to explain to you why. Nobody cares about driving subs anymore, that's a very 2019-2021 mindset. The point now is profitability. Yes, Disney+ is meant to be the funnel for all of your interactions with The Walt Disney Company, but it's not a funnel for funnel's sake. A single purchase of a $400 Captain Marvel shield is worth five years of the revenue of a D+ sub. A person who takes their family on a cruise or to Walt Disney World one single time is worth probably 100 years of the revenue of a D+ sub. So yes, they'll gladly take their $8 a month from as many hundreds of millions of people as they're able to get, but the real pot of gold is in converting a fraction of those $8 people into $400 or $4,000 or $40,000 people.
You're trying to explain something that is both obvious and something I already know.

So you don't need to 'man'splain it to me buddy.

CaptainAmerica

You're trying to explain something that is both obvious and something I already know.

So you don't need to 'man'splain it to me buddy.
You tried to tell me that offering a $100 Dr. Strange cloak to D+ subscribers is about driving additional people to D+, as if there's a single solitary person on the planet who might want a $100 Dr. Strange cloak who isn't already D+ sub.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You tried to tell me that offering a $100 Dr. Strange cloak to D+ subscribers is about driving additional people to D+, as if there's a single solitary person on the planet who might want a $100 Dr. Strange cloak who isn't already D+ sub.
BTW, I think we're ultimately saying the same thing. I'm just looking beyond this immediate merch trial to 3-5 years down the line.

Wendy Pleakley

Sounds like another marketing tool to make a group of people feel "special" and want to buy something because of "exclusivity".

Just like things such as exclusive pins for passholders that would be shelf warmers if not for this manufactured sensation that someone is getting a special and unique item.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom