Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

doctornick

And this is why I said "Disney has just surpassed Netflix for subs across all of its streaming services"

And really it doesn't matter, all are subs of Disney streaming under DTC. If Netflix has multiple services they would do the same thing.
Don’t get me wrong, i wasn’t directing it towards your post, just commenting on how Disney reports their numbers.

They report the total subscription number as being more than Netflix but it’s pretty meaningless since Netflix is still the largest service by a good bit. It’s PR fluff on Disney’s part.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don’t get me wrong, i wasn’t directing it towards your post, just commenting on how Disney reports their numbers.

They report the total subscription number as being more than Netflix but it’s pretty meaningless since Netflix is still the largest service by a good bit. It’s PR fluff on Disney’s part.
If you're look at just pure D+ numbers then I would agree with you. However Disney streaming is more than just D+, which is why they count all of them together. Again if Netflix had multiple services they would do the same thing.

So its not meaningless or fluff if you're looking at it from pure subs per company not just per service, which is what most analysts do as the money is coming to Disney just the same.

doctornick

If you're look at just pure D+ numbers then I would agree with you. However Disney streaming is more than just D+, which is why they count all of them together. Again if Netflix had multiple services they would do the same thing.

So its not meaningless or fluff if you're looking at it from pure subs per company not just per service, which is what most analysts do as the money is coming to Disney just the same.
The fluff is by comparing it to Netflix and “beating” them as being something meaningful when it is an apples to oranges comparison. Of course Disney can and should promote their number of subs as a company wide indicator, but comparing to Netflix is just silly when it’s three different services versus one.

Wake me up when Disney+ itself actually passes Netflix.

Jedijax719

Adds on Youtube for just watching basic videos have gotten longer and longer and more numerous. I'm guessing that is where they intend to go which sucks.

What about yearly subscriptions? Any word on those costs? I'm guessing around $110 per year.

doctornick

Adds on Youtube for just watching basic videos have gotten longer and longer and more numerous. I'm guessing that is where they intend to go which sucks.

What about yearly subscriptions? Any word on those costs? I'm guessing around $110 per year.
It’s listed in the pricing article on the last page. Indeed annual subscription cost for ad free Disney+ is 109.99

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The fluff is by comparing it to Netflix and “beating” them as being something meaningful when it is an apples to oranges comparison. Of course Disney can and should promote their number of subs as a company wide indicator, but comparing to Netflix is just silly when it’s three different services versus one.

I think you're just playing semantics here, but whatever.

If Netflix had two services, say Netflix Movies and Netflix Sports, they would combine the number and the media would say they are "beating x" as they are the competition. This is no different, so I don't know why you are so adamant on it only being D+ that has to beat Netflix before you can compare.

Anyways in a couple years when everything is merged under one service it won't matter.

Jedijax719

With the massive dump of MCU news (shows we knew were coming as well as movies we didn't). fans know all of it will be on D+. Movies get there quicker. Add to that anything that will be announced at D23 (not just MCU but Star Wars, other series that are in production, etc.) and I am sure they are using that to justify the changes in price.

MarvelCharacterNerd

On the plus (ha) side - they're finally doing a Disney+Hulu bundle without ESPN. Yay! All ads? Nope.

On the plus side - there will probably be some kind of a deal offered at the D23 Expo and for Black Friday. Yay! Likely will be for ad-tier only. Nope.

On the plus side - they're not raising prices until after the original 3-year-deal subscribers can opt in for one more year of ad-free at the current price of $79.99. Yay-ish. Not nearly as good as the original deal nor for as long, but at least an option for the time being for ad-free at lowest available price point.

$109.99/year for ad-free? Nope.

$10.99/month regularly for ad-free? Nope.

$7.99/month for ad tier? Nope.

So unless I'm surprised by a good deal on the ad-free service at either the D23 Expo or for Black Friday, it's either lock in the current one year price with no ads and give it up after that or just dip in for the months I want to binge shows and churn out immediately after. Decisions, decisions...

Jedijax719

On the plus (ha) side - they're finally doing a Disney+Hulu bundle without ESPN. Yay! All ads? Nope.

On the plus side - there will probably be some kind of a deal offered at the D23 Expo and for Black Friday. Yay! Likely will be for ad-tier only. Nope.

On the plus side - they're not raising prices until after the original 3-year-deal subscribers can opt in for one more year of ad-free at the current price of $79.99. Yay-ish. Not nearly as good as the original deal nor for as long, but at least an option for the time being for ad-free at lowest available price point.

$109.99/year for ad-free? Nope.

$10.99/month regularly for ad-free? Nope.

$7.99/month for ad tier? Nope.

So unless I'm surprised by a good deal on the ad-free service at either the D23 Expo or for Black Friday, it's either lock in the current one year price with no ads and give it up after that or just dip in for the months I want to binge shows and churn out immediately after. Decisions, decisions...
Good chance many will do that latter. I don't see anything "special" coming at D23 beyond this. But I also think that some feel like they're at a point of no return and Chapek knows that. For example, there are a LOT of people simply waiting to see Disney movies on D+. It's no longer about Covid. It's simply about not bothering to go to the theaters if a movie will stream in 45 days. And we've certainly seen the effects. Disney has not put out the biggest movies since before the Pandemic. Neither Top Gun Maverick and No Way Home had definite streaming platforms. TGM hasn't been released and probably won't be for a while. NWH went to Starz. How many people do Starz? Meanwhile, ALL Disney movies went to streaming. It's hard for those who want the biggest Disney franchises to turn away from D+ if they already had it for 3 years. That is exactly what Disney/Chapek is banking on. They've been plotting and anticipating this moment.

I think the real question for many is how ads will work. Will a big blockbuster move on D+ get suddenly interrupted several times in 2 hours by a few 30-second ads? Or will there be a couple before the movie starts? And there's NO doubt they are going to add more and more ads that are longer and longer as time goes by.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Good chance many will do that latter. I don't see anything "special" coming at D23 beyond this. But I also think that some feel like they're at a point of no return and Chapek knows that. For example, there are a LOT of people simply waiting to see Disney movies on D+. It's no longer about Covid. It's simply about not bothering to go to the theaters if a movie will stream in 45 days. And we've certainly seen the effects. Disney has not put out the biggest movies since before the Pandemic. Neither Top Gun Maverick and No Way Home had definite streaming platforms. TGM hasn't been released and probably won't be for a while. NWH went to Starz. How many people do Starz? Meanwhile, ALL Disney movies went to streaming. It's hard for those who want the biggest Disney franchises to turn away from D+ if they already had it for 3 years. That is exactly what Disney/Chapek is banking on. They've been plotting and anticipating this moment.

I think the real question for many is how ads will work. Will a big blockbuster move on D+ get suddenly interrupted several times in 2 hours by a few 30-second ads? Or will there be a couple before the movie starts? And there's NO doubt they are going to add more and more ads that are longer and longer as time goes by.
In general, for a streaming service to have ads that interrupt a movie, they'd have to be a completely *free* streaming service.

D+, Hulu, and Netflix won't have free tiers (for now).

Hulu and soon both D+ and Netflix will have on their ad-supported tiers ads that begin just at the beginning of the movie or an episode of a series.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I get Hulu for .99/month with ads. I'll drop it when the deal ends but at that price I can live with the ads. I dip in and out of Paramount+ when I see deals for .99/month. It's worth that for me to occasionally catch up on shows once or twice a year. Every other streamer I watch with ads is free. $7.99/month with ads is a very easy nope. As is $10.99 without.

MarvelCharacterNerd

In general, for a streaming service to have ads that interrupt a movie, they'd have to be a completely *free* streaming service.

D+, Hulu, and Netflix won't have free tiers (for now).

Hulu and soon both D+ and Netflix will have on their ad-supported tiers ads that begin just at the beginning of the movie or an episode of a series.
I see ads on Hulu throughout every movie and tv show? Like anywhere from 6-8 breaks with them at least depending on what I'm watching.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

No one is saying DisneyPlus is beating Netflix.

They were careful to say that all the subs to all of Disney streaming service is more subs than for Netflix (by a hair, the difference is negligible and should be considered 'tied.')

Internationally, Star is part of D+, but in the U.S., it's mostly part of Hulu. So... how do you count that that? Someone who subs for Hulu content (e.g. A Maid's Tale) in the U.S. doesn't get counted, but someone in the UK who subs to D+ for precisely that same content (A Maid's Tale) does get counted as a D+ sub because Star is part of D+ there?

If you wish to keep that distinction in your mind, fine. But know that the industry doesn't make that distinction because they consider the output of the company and not just hone in on one of their streaming channels.

If you read the trades, you'll see that the subs for HBOmax and Discovery+ get aggregated, as well as Paramount+ with Showtime.

Everyone knows that all these companies are working to merge their streaming channels into one branded interface, at which point, you wouldn't be able to tease out what's Hulu v. D+ or what's Showtime v. Paramount+.

Also, a chunk of D+ subs are being counted as D+ subs because Hulu+TV subscribers were automatically switched to "The Bundle" and are now counted part of the D+ subs. The merger is coming. The distinctions are becoming irrelevant.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I see ads on Hulu throughout every movie and tv show? Like anywhere from 6-8 breaks with them at least depending on what I'm watching.
Oh, I didn't know that... or did I... the TV shows that show up on Hulu from broadcast and cable TV are just straight recordings of how they were on Live TV, so yes, they should have all those commercial breaks.

But what about a movie in Hulu's library? Does Prey or an episode of Only Murders in the Building get interrupted with commercials?

Chip Chipperson

Just watched Only Murders in the Building today, for me at least, they do interrupt and are not just at the beginning. About a minute and a half each time. Volume is also a bit higher than the show.

Yep, OMITB has ad breaks, but it's an episodic series so I would expect ads in the middle of an episode. If Hulu (Or D+ when they roll out the version with ads) has ads in the middle of a movie, then that's stupid and not much better than watching a movie on USA or TNT. I believe Peacock just puts ads before a movie starts, but I haven't watched a movie on Peacock since the last "Halloween" movie so I have limited experience with it. I suppose it's possible they treat new movies differently (better) than older movies, but that seems like it's just begging viewers to cancel their subscriptions out of frustration.

Jedijax719

Ads within a movie for a service that is $1/month isn't awful. The same kinds of ads for a service that is $8/month is terrible. A few ads before a show starts isn't bad at all.
What a lot of people will do is either (1) do month-by-month to see how the ads work before making an annual comittment or (2) just wait to hear about it online from others.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Oh, I didn't know that... or did I... the TV shows that show up on Hulu from broadcast and cable TV are just straight recordings of how they were on Live TV, so yes, they should have all those commercial breaks.

But what about a movie in Hulu's library? Does Prey or an episode of Only Murders in the Building get interrupted with commercials?
The OMITB question was answered, but I was curious and just popped onto my Hulu account.

Now granted, I watch WAY more TV on Hulu (mostly FX stuff and the Marvel stuff that hasn't yet migrated over to D+) than movies. But yes, TV shows always have the breaks. This week I missed a show I usually watch live on ABC so I watched it on Hulu another day and it had all the ad breaks I would have had to sit through live. A friend was on a game show, so I also caught up on that after and same ad breaks.

So just now, I pulled up one of the few movies I have waiting to watch on Hulu (Spider-Man, shocker, I know - but the first trilogy is on Hulu now and I really need to rewatch). It started with an immediate ad but I didn't see the usual pauses in the timeline indicating ad breaks.

For comparison, I pulled up one of the TV shows I'm waiting to binge once the full season is posted (an FX show), and not only did it start with an ad but I could see five ad breaks indicated throughout the episode.

So maybe there are less breaks on some or all movies. But Hulu has a generally lesser movie selection for my tastes, but solid on the TV side where there are ads galore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom