Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

WhatJaneSays

So with Disney+ coming and EndGame being announced for streaming in December some people were worried it might not get a traditional streaming release prior to December well its now confirmed that like Infinity War EndGame's digital release will be July 30th.

The digital release (to buy/rent) is different than the streaming release, which is typically 1-3 months after the digital. Endgame's streaming release will likely be exclusive to Disney+ if they haven't already confirmed that.

Darkprime

The digital release (to buy/rent) is different than the streaming release, which is typically 1-3 months after the digital. Endgame's streaming release will likely be exclusive to Disney+ if they haven't already confirmed that.

Yes I know but when Disney said "streaming exclusively" on Disney+ some people thought it meant that it might not get a traditional Digital release. And fair enough too. I was curious by the wording as well. And wouldn't have put it past Disney to scrap the traditional digital release in favour of Disney+ exclusivity.

Last edited:

brb1006

D-0D66-WwAAhODt.jpg

Janir

So WarnerMedia is having a HBO Max service with 10k hours or content ready out of the box they own, Friends and CW streaming? Netflix is going to be in some real trouble. D+ was bad enough news for them, this feels like someone is turning the screws on them. Netflix had better get some solid content partnership going outside of just their in house productions or they are screwed. All the other content creators are moving to some sort of streaming partnerships or their own setups.

Princess Leia

So WarnerMedia is having a HBO Max service with 10k hours or content ready out of the box they own, Friends and CW streaming? Netflix is going to be in some real trouble. D+ was bad enough news for them, this feels like someone is turning the screws on them. Netflix had better get some solid content partnership going outside of just their in house productions or they are screwed. All the other content creators are moving to some sort of streaming partnerships or their own setups.
Netflix definitely needs to start making quality sitcoms. Cancelling One Day at a Time is regrettable, as I think it just got picked up by another streaming service (I can’t remember if it was CBS or NBC). Netflix makes pretty great dramas, but other companies are succeeding on comedies.

Between Disney+, HBO Max and NBC Universal, Netflix is going to lose a big chunk of their material

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

As I suggested in another thread, buyout of SPE, Lionsgate, and/or Paramount seems to be more and more of a need rather than a nice to have for Netflix.

With SPE they'd get major shows and movies. Not sure they'd want to continue doing theatrical distribution, but the amount of IPs they'd get is significant enough that, adding to their own production and IPs, they could still compete.

Indy_UK

Netflix isn't longed for this world. Eventually it will end for them unless like mentioned, they buy a movie studio with the back catalog.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Netflix definitely needs to start making quality sitcoms. Cancelling One Day at a Time is regrettable, as I think it just got picked up by another streaming service (I can’t remember if it was CBS or NBC). Netflix makes pretty great dramas, but other companies are succeeding on comedies.

Between Disney+, HBO Max and NBC Universal, Netflix is going to lose a big chunk of their material
I would agree. I am not big on rewatching dramas. Movies might get an occasional rewatch, but not so much for a series.

I rewatch comedies all the time. When nothing else is on or I want something up while I am working, Friends, BBT, The Office, etc fit that bill perfectly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I wouldn't count Netflix out entirely. With a saturated and fractured content-provider streaming market, some of them won't be profitable and they'll be looking to license their content back on the aggregators, like Netflix (looking at you, CBS Access). Plus I think Yahoo, Amazon, and Apple are going to be too late to the game to make a go of it as a real competitor. While that's happening, Netflix is still building their original content. It all depends if Netflix can keep borrowing enough until the others fold.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wouldn't count Netflix out entirely. With a saturated and fractured content-provider streaming market, some of them won't be profitable and they'll be looking to license their content back on the aggregators, like Netflix (looking at you, CBS Access). Plus I think Yahoo, Amazon, and Apple are going to be too late to the game to make a go of it as a real competitor. While that's happening, Netflix is still building their original content. It all depends if Netflix can keep borrowing enough until the others fold.
Amazon video streaming feels more like an afterthought at best. It is always the last place I look for anything. There is just not much there outside a couple good originals programs, some outdated 80's movies and a near endless list of Bollywood titles. I would love to re-watch Babalon 5 on it, but the quality of the cut they have is just unwatchable even on a computer screen. It would probably look like Minecraft if I played it on my 65" TV in the living room.

I have Prime for the free shipping. If not for that, there is no way I would pay for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom