News Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show will not reopen and is permanently closed according to reports

montyz81

Looks like they just repurposed Reflections: A Lakeside Lodge.

Why wouldn’t they just restart the WC construction again with the lakeside lodge. With all the land, why do they keep putting hotels on top of each other. The “blessing of size” is no longer a blessing!

Ayla

Actually, for our 25th anniversary we did a Luau on Kauai last year. (In that picture, we don't look like 2 kids barely old enough to drive, let alone get married!) I don't remember the WDW one well enough to compare, but the pre-closing WDW price was actually cheaper than the Hawaiian luau. And the food probably just as good - Hawaii was fine, but nothing to get too excited about. (I'm not sure it's possible to serve a few hundred people simultaneously and have it be spectacular.)
We went to a luau for our 25th last month on Maui (Old Lahaina, for those familiar) and it was spectacular. It was $300 plus tip for 2 people and it was worth every penny.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

you can be sure the new resort will have a level of theming on par with the Riviera... That is the new way of things.
We stayed at Riviera in the 3 bedroom suite...which was very nice, but did not feel in any way like a Disney property...it felt like any other Marriott hotel... Plain nicely manicured grounds, Plain nice pool... Nothing that felt like classic Disney...
Classic Disney looks and smells like cigarette smoke and mildew.

9baffbc67530a9501564461f4c103aa2.jpg

PRV806645.jpg

The good ol' days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well they had to do something with the show and dining pavilion, either reconstruction or demolition as the kitchen and dining area (besides the newer roof) is original from my first visit in 1972. They will need to do some construction for the bus stop as its insufficient for those additional rooms more in line with AKL or Beach/Yacht club with multiple bays and extended seating.

Bocabear

Classic Disney looks and smells like cigarette smoke and mildew.

View attachment 627277

View attachment 627279

The good ol' days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.
For their time they were quite luxe and quite special...they were also not $1000 a night...
Remember also at that time "Theme Parks, Theme Settings, Thee Architecture" were all quite unique...In the past 50 years we have become quite numb to the concept...we live in a world full of thematic design...Maybe not always fantastical, but thematic nonetheless...Disney seems to have just given up and are making everything simple modern and lacking the Disney Touch that they created.

prberk

This is absolutely sad. A Polynesian resort without a luau. It and the landscape and tiki torches really made the theming of the Polynesian the best on property.
Now we get a new “Marriott” tower overwhelming the beautiful longhouses. So much for sight lines and theming.

As for the press release that said how much people loved the monorail resorts and that this was a way to let more people experience them… how about just building more monorails to the other resorts? Oh, wait: that would cost money that we can’t charge for. Better to take the luau out of an Hawaiian resort.

prberk

I never got around to seeing it, but this show was one of the things that made Walt Disney World what it was.

It goes back to the idea of a "vacation kingdom" with a wide variety of activities instead of just theme parks and hotel rooms.

Also, perfect timing to get rid of an opening day attraction that would otherwise be celebrating 50 years with the rest of the resort...
Cannot agree more, although I have been to the show. Both that and Hoop De Doo were great evenings out with a nice, relaxing family entertainment that contrasted nicely with the frenetic energy of the theme parks — like you said, rounding out the resort experience.

CaptainAmerica

They’re adding a timeshare next to the resort that is much larger and has little cultural reference or value.

Fixed that for you.
Spirit of Aloha had zero cultural value and, if it premiered in 2022, would almost certainly be branded "racist."

We kind of need to see the inside to determine cultural reference. I’d love to be surprised. Poly, as it is, has not really attempted to represent culture in the way AKL does. Maybe they will?
I'm laughing hysterically at people who think there was ever any kind of cultural value at the Poly.

CaptinEO

Spirit of Aloha had zero cultural value and, if it premiered in 2022, would almost certainly be branded "racist."

I'm laughing hysterically at people who think there was ever any kind of cultural value at the Poly.
You're right, a 2022 Hilton has way more culture :p

In all seriousness the polynesian/tiki room isn't an educational museum, they are idealized/entertainment versions of real life cultures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom