News Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show will not reopen and is permanently closed according to reports

OG Runner

I know this will be dating myself, but I took my family to stay at the Polynesian in 1992.
We were on the end buildings, facing the Luau venue. Each night we would hear the
call "Aloooha?" We even saw the fire baton performer practicing out back before going
on. We always enjoyed both versions of the show.

Lord Starwalker

That is too bad. :( The Spirit of Aloha show featured a really great fire dancer at the end of the Luau. I'm worried that this is another change to the Polynesian that is heading in the wrong direction. I hope in the long run Disney does not decide to ruin this wonderfully themed resort.

TikibirdLand

That is too bad. :( The Spirit of Aloha show featured a really great fire dancer at the end of the Luau. I'm worried that this is another change to the Polynesian that is heading in the wrong direction. I hope in the long run Disney does not decide to ruin this wonderfully themed resort.
I think the tower announcement and closing of this show tells you where the Poly is going. It won't end well.

You're right, a 2022 Hilton has way more culture :p

In all seriousness the polynesian/tiki room isn't an educational museum, they are idealized/entertainment versions of real life cultures.

I was referring to the aesthetic cultural value. Thank you for understanding more than just educational cultural value.

Yet hark, I hear someone laughing hysterically in ignorance at others. Whatever floats your boat. Or canoe 😄

montyz81

They're not putting hotels on top of each other, they're expanding an existing resort on the existing resort's footprint.
I can't entirely agree with this. The original Lakeside Lodge was meant to go in a space unused for 23 years. Now they are putting the same hotel in an area previously used by a pay-for entertainment event. I get that DVC will make more money, but they thin out the entertainment options to make more money. My point is they could still do both. Put the Lakeside Lodge into a space that is an eyesore and keep the area that is not an eyesore and simply revamp it.

They are putting a hotel on top of a hotel, period!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So sad :( Another piece of Disney history just being removed.
giphy.gif
Aloha means hello AND good-bye.

Thelazer

I can't entirely agree with this. The original Lakeside Lodge was meant to go in a space unused for 23 years. Now they are putting the same hotel in an area previously used by a pay-for entertainment event. I get that DVC will make more money, but they thin out the entertainment options to make more money. My point is they could still do both. Put the Lakeside Lodge into a space that is an eyesore and keep the area that is not an eyesore and simply revamp it.

Well Said!!

jasminethecat

I do understand your emotional response to the tear-down of the luau, but there is a lot more to consider here. Disney is literally putting a DVC tower on the footprint of a dinner show which some people here attended and will miss, and some others like myself actually tried (twice) and won't miss it. Literally and figuratively, they are not putting a hotel on top of a hotel. They're expanding the polynesian resort area by repurposing non-living space into new waterfront accommodations. Regardless of any other argument, your statement of "They are putting a hotel on top of a hotel, period!" is hyperbole while @CaptainAmerica is correct. Cap was simply stating a fact while you are sharing an opinion but presenting it as fact.

You should dig deeper into the overall decision. I get that you and others here are upset that they're building more rooms in the space of a dinner attraction, but this is prime real estate and Disney is going to do whatever they want with their own property. Disney likely has been polling new and old DVC members and found out that being monorail/lakeside and directly facing the MK will bring in more $$$ than fixing up an aloha dinner show or building the DVC tower in a less desirable location. The poly resort has an established footprint with easy parking, great restaurants, monorail transportation, and a beloved and fun theme. What does the lakeside lodge have going for it? A nice view of trees and a lake. It's next to a campground and will be a huge pain in the butt for buses and any travel other than taking a boat to WDW. You literally have to share a road with RV's the whole way in and out. Terrible travel design and nothing alike with the polynesian.

If I had DVC points I would want to stay in a place like the polynesian tower, much more than in some bland and un-themed hotel where I cannot see the castle and travel is a nightmare. Believe it or not, you may also find friction between people spending top DVC money and people who camp. I have camped there and we had a great time, but there is no overlap between the two groups in terms of expectations of amenities. Honestly, building a new value resort in that space makes the most sense, with theming from an IP like Pixar, Marvel or StarWars. Value hotel go-ers will not mind the significant drawbacks of the "reflections" location if the hotel looks cool and it's cheap. Or they could build some other dinner show or outside entertainment attraction in that space.

If both towers were built, can anyone here say they would actually spend DVC money to stay in a bland resort next to the campground and have sub-par transportation and dining?

Thelazer

ou should dig deeper into the overall decision. I get that you and others here are upset that they're building more rooms in the space of a dinner attraction, but this is prime real estate and Disney is going to do whatever they want with their own property.

I think it's worth pointing out again, that they can't staff or operate the parks without having to manage yield, but yet adding MORE hotel rooms is going to do what?... Somehow fix the issue of not having enough things for folks to do?

So we take a dinner show away, as well in the process, so what people have... again LESS to do?

Pay more for less value, it's the Bob's Way!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom