Disney's resorts fill for spring, summer

TURKEY

Original Poster
Disney's resorts fill for spring, summer
Parks president says reservations on upswing
By Todd Pack
Sentinel Staff Writer

February 20, 2004

Walt Disney Co.'s parks and resorts are doing better now compared with a year ago and should continue to improve throughout the summer, a senior executive said on Thursday.

Attendance at Disney's four parks in Orlando and two parks in Anaheim, Calif., is up about 10 percent so far in the company's second quarter, parks President Jay Rasulo said.

Hotel reservations for travel through March are up about 20 percent from a year ago, while bookings for spring break and summer vacation are "tracking favorably," he said at Citigroup/Smith Barney's 2004 New York Leisure Conference.

Disney won't disclose attendance, but industry estimates show sharp declines at most of the company's parks in 2001 and 2002 and generally flat attendance in 2003.

Rasulo didn't say when the company expects a full recovery in attendance but said growth would be gradual.

Disney's recent improvement was expected, said John Robinett, a consultant in Los Angeles.

The parks division's improved performance comes amid an attempted takeover by the cable company Comcast Corp. and efforts by former board members Roy Disney and Stanley Gold to oust Chairman Michael Eisner.

Disney's board has rejected Comcast's initial offer and said it supports Eisner.

Rasulo defended Eisner on Thursday, telling analysts, "I have seen, firsthand, the creative fountainhead that Michael is in extending the Disney franchises in new and creative ways."

Todd Pack can be reached at tpack@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5407.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...feb20,0,3780594.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

tigsmom

Just finished reading this. Guess I better get my reservations for July done. We've had to change things around a few times already because our choices are not available. But thats a good thing, right?

lebernadin

I was just heckling friends of ours who have now decided to get married at WDW in July instead of in their area. The wedding pavilion will be under rehab for July so that's out of the question for their ceremony. But they also expect at least 60 to make the trek to WDW if they decide to do it there. They apparently already have a room reserved at Bongos for something, but i think they'll be hard pressed to get all 60 in the same resort with this short of notice. :brick:

no2apprentice

turkey leg boy, what's your take on this?

Is this something that you are noticing yourself at your job, or by talking to other CM's at other resorts?

Or is this a way for Disney to get people to make earlier bookings, so they can forecast staffing and hours better?

Or is this something that may have to do with spin because of Comcast's offer?

Just curious...

ead79

lebernadin, Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings Department blocks rooms for its couples, so they wouldn't have to worry about resort availability as much. Typically rooms are blocked at 3 resorts for Disney weddings (I got married at WDW on December 13th of last year).

lebernadin

Thanks for the tip ead. :)

I made it sound like it was for certain, meaning to be at disney. If you ever met this guy and knew his propensity for ideas versus bringing them to fruition. :hammer: hehe...

He also wants to do the bachelor party in LV. So we'll see where both of these ideas lead in the coming months.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yes projected attendance is so good were not scheduling e ride nights or late openings to maximise bonuses, I mean shareholder pay outs, eh I mean guest enjoyment.

Rcoaster809

My family and I are planning to go to florida in late July, and for t he first time we would get annual passes. Would there be discounts avalable in late July? Have there been discounts in past years over the summer?

Nathan

TURKEY

Original Poster
Originally posted by Rcoaster809
My family and I are planning to go to florida in late July, and for t he first time we would get annual passes. Would there be discounts avalable in late July? Have there been discounts in past years over the summer?

Nathan

I'm almost positive that you have to have your AP before you can get discounts, thus you won't be able to for your July trip.

shakes20

AP Discounts

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rcoaster809

Nathan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm almost positive that you have to have your AP before you can get discounts, thus you won't be able to for your July trip.

Actually, you can book a room with a AP discount before you have the AP, but it will have to be activated when you check in (at least that's the way it worked for us last year!)

Sean

Hank Scorpio

But Great News for Disney!!!!

It's good to see so many people back at WDW. Perhaps things are getting back to how they should be. :sohappy:

WDWFREAK53

If you book now...before the AP rates come out...can you get the rate when you check-in? (Assuming that they were announced after you booked)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
If you book now...before the AP rates come out...can you get the rate when you check-in? (Assuming that they were announced after you booked)

Only if you reebook using the codes.

tigsmom

Called yesterday to book our July (24-27) stay. We checked a few moderates and there were rooms for our time frame. Had talked about staying in the Contemporary, but again no rooms. We will be staying in the WL again (I know...poor me :) )

I'm happy attendance is up, but oh the crowds. :wave:

Danijo

So if they know all these people are coming why can't they post the hours and E-ride nights for May and June? Especially for those who want to plan their days and make PS arrangements.

Geesh,

I am really getting scared now. I was holding out for the Summer Dream Maker package discount codes. I wonder if I should just book the trip now, and just forfeit the $79.90 for the travel insurance (which was the only way I was able to rebook my trip for the cheaper rate last summer). What do you all think????

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
Only if you reebook using the codes.

So the smart thing to do...would be book now...to reserve the room...wait for the codes to come out...then REBOOK knowing that the room is already waiting for you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom