Disney's Punishment of Honest Media/Reviews

Diamond Dot

I think it's obvious to anyone who reads my posts that I detest Disney vloggers, but, the fact is I detest all vloggers and channels that content farm, producing a constant stream of content simply to monetise. Influencers are nothing more than cult leaders, I say that because people follow them blindly and refuse to accept criticism of them. I only watch YouTube and when I first watcjed it, a mere 5 years ago, I was one of those sheep, I subscribed to the Trackers, DFB and Dis, but, the more I watched them and the other channels I subscribed to, the more I realised something wasn't right, they were overly long, padding out their videos with pointless rubbish, then I saw an article on the BBC about a channel produced by an Australian nutritionist of all people and she was going after those content farms that have those 'hacks' that are actually dangerous and I learned about content farming and monetising, so I did my own research and that's when you learn the practices and finances of these channels. I'm now extremely selectiveof what I watch, mainly news and animal rescues, if i'm going to monetise any channel it's going to be people who rescues animals and uses the funds raised to provide care for the animals, surprisingly many of these channels have nowhere near the subscribers of the content farming channels and I find it sad, because the animal rescue channels restore my faith in humanity while influencers and vloggers turn my stomach.

cranbiz

I got kicked of Disboards, I annoyed too many people I think.
I left there after a 30 day vacation for what I don't know but somehow it apparently offended a thin skinned moderator. Once that vacation expired, I departed that board on my own (but I'm sure that I got banned after my last post), but not after leaving a scathing post about how downhill that site had gone and that Pete's Travel Agency would never see another dime from me. His agency was responsible for many of my pre Florida resident trips and in all honestly, the TA's did a great job for me.

Piebald

I think it's obvious to anyone who reads my posts that I detest Disney vloggers, but, the fact is I detest all vloggers and channels that content farm, producing a constant stream of content simply to monetise. Influencers are nothing more than cult leaders, I say that because people follow them blindly and refuse to accept criticism of them. I only watch YouTube and when I first watcjed it, a mere 5 years ago, I was one of those sheep, I subscribed to the Trackers, DFB and Dis, but, the more I watched them and the other channels I subscribed to, the more I realised something wasn't right, they were overly long, padding out their videos with pointless rubbish, then I saw an article on the BBC about a channel produced by an Australian nutritionist of all people and she was going after those content farms that have those 'hacks' that are actually dangerous and I learned about content farming and monetising, so I did my own research and that's when you learn the practices and finances of these channels. I'm now extremely selectiveof what I watch, mainly news and animal rescues, if i'm going to monetise any channel it's going to be people who rescues animals and uses the funds raised to provide care for the animals, surprisingly many of these channels have nowhere near the subscribers of the content farming channels and I find it sad, because the animal rescue channels restore my faith in humanity while influencers and vloggers turn my stomach.
I like TDRExplorer but I'm not sure if it's because he isnt annoying or because he is showcasing something I cannot do/see regularly (versus vloggers here which just post stuff that I can drive 20min to and see)

brb1006

I like TDRExplorer but I'm not sure if it's because he isnt annoying or because he is showcasing something I cannot do/see regularly (versus vloggers here which just post stuff that I can drive 20min to and see)
I really love TDRExplorer, he's more respectful and calm.

RSoxNo1

I mean, not for nothing, but WDWMagic is banned from media events. I thought that was common knowledge.

I‘m banned specifically because of criticism about prices and DHS that got quoted by the NYT. Between the book and the site, around 250,000 families buy our advice every year before heading to a Disney theme park. If it was a question of “Well, we don’t have room for everyone,” at these events, you‘d never see small podcasts or bloggers.

Here’s Disney blacklisting the LA Times‘ film critics, because of what the LAT business section said about the theme parks: https://slate.com/culture/2017/11/disney-is-blacklisting-los-angeles-times-critics.html

One side effect of that thread was that I got stories from other reporters about how they got cut off, or their editors got calls, from Disney PR about what they wrote.

ETA: I think the Washington Post has been mostly cut off since publishing this in 2015: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ke-disney-world-left-the-middle-class-behind/. They have nothing on Halycon, and they’re the 4th largest newspaper in the country.

ETA: The Hollywood Reporter’s farewell to Disney’s last head of PR refers to her “scorched earth” policy when dealing with negative press: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...enia-much-disney-pr-retire-column-1234985254/
Yeah but still...

No Name

There’s a difference between punishing negative coverage of a media event and punishing negative coverage of the company on a regular basis. The latter is really not okay and it would be nice (but unrealistic) to see media entities band together to stop it.

tl77

The pandemic has been devastating for many businesses, including Disney's Theme Parks... but I think they are doing a really poor job of trying to "recover financially" from it right now. The reason it's so poor I think, is because for the past decade or more, the place has been run by people who don't really value, appreciate, understand, or care, about "the guests". For years they've been implementing all kinds of manipulative ways to create profits to keep share holders happy, the "bean counter approach" of cutting budgets and raising prices, but this chips away at the quality of "the product/experience" and the "consumers/guests" pay more for less... So basically, they are "in panic mode" right now, and since they're all a bunch of spineless, greedy, two faced, scumbags, they really don't know "how to do the right thing" ...if everyone yells about it loudly enough, or if "the shareholders are made to suffer"? ...hopefully there will be a change in management... but if you just go along with it? the rich get richer and everyone else pays the price

Rteetz

I thought many, most?, of the mods are gone with Webmasters handling banning.

DIS is a commercial board. Posters who directly (posts on the board), or indirectly (references to blogs, videos) who get paid via affiliate links, sponsored by a TA etc tend to get banned. Posters who are critical of stupid posters are gone. Face it. The purpose the DIS is to create interest in people booking vacations with their Pete's travel agency.

Rteetz, and a few other posters, helped guide us in getting Preview Reservations for MF and insight as to how Rise of the Resistance operated the first few weeks.

Much thanks to Rteetz and Julie (don't remember screen name)
The webmasters are what is the issue there. I have no idea how things are operated now and frankly don't care.

Yulilin3 was her screenname. I still chat with her on a regular basis.

thomas998

I think many have a belief that the Walt Disney company is one of still "good" companies out there. And certainly because so many have such fond memories & experiences associated with Disney & the parks. I know I do. And when I learn of something truly contradictory to this belief....it is really a gut-punch. It saps out the energy to want to go to Disney. And I don't like that feeling.

But here we are. Len Testa, creator of TouringPlans & veteran Disney parks fan released this

This news that people who attended the Star Wars Galactic Cruiser are in fear of reprisals from Disney if they write honest reviews of the experience...is jarring. Especially as relates to the first or second thing we al think about when we think of this new Disney hotel, and that is the high $6,000 expense. Is it worth it? Something to save-up for, something to really treat the family to and enjoy?

This is why people should never really trust most podcaster and vloggers, quite often they are paid or supported by the very companies they are reviewing or talking about so there is a conflict of interest. And whether Disney says specifically that what they say will determine future invites or not the thought remains in the persons head regardless.

Then again you also can't trust anything on a lot fo news shows when it comes from ABC network since they are owned by Disney. In the end your really left with few sources to provide unbiased and unfiltered information. Even the folks at NBC or CBS are probably going to be careful about how far they go as Disney buys millions of dollars in ads on their networks. Unless you find some source like Consumer Reports that does all they can to remain unbiased you have to take everything you see with a grain of salt.

BeentoallDParks

I never trust review/media publications. Only individuals who DONT get a media event and who DONT get free access.
Even this can be a problem. Reporters who work for giant publications with giant expense accounts also never feel the sting of the real cost. Their bosses pay it.

The people I trust the most are the people who really feel the sting of paying the full price. Only then do I trust a review that tells me if the product is of value.

Trouble is, that’s a mighty short list of people, and how can you even tell who?

ImperfectPixie

Even this can be a problem. Reporters who work for giant publications with giant expense accounts also never feel the sting of the real cost. Their bosses pay it.

The people I trust the most are the people who really feel the sting of paying the full price. Only then do I trust a review that tells me if the product is of value.

Trouble is, that’s a mighty short list of people, and how can you even tell who?
By law, anyone receiving such freebies as compensation for PR is supposed to have a disclaimer saying as much.

BeentoallDParks

By law, anyone receiving such freebies as compensation for PR is supposed to have a disclaimer saying as much.
The FTC rule has so much grey area. It’s written to target “relationships” between influencers and companies. What does that even mean if the influencer isn’t otherwise being paid or doesn’t agree to deliver a certain type of coverage?

And it has nothing to say about print or media outlets that might give reporters free trips but, through a different corporate department, buy ads. The FTC rules seem written to focus on social media more than the traditional press.

The FTC rule also doesn’t touch journalists who have other people pay their way, including through expenses to their employer. Those people might potentially also not have true perception of monetary value.

On top of all that, has anyone ever seen the FTC rule enforced?

ImperfectPixie

The FTC rule has so much grey area. It’s written to target “relationships” between influencers and companies. What does that even mean if the influencer isn’t otherwise being paid or doesn’t agree to deliver a certain type of coverage?

And it has nothing to say about print or media outlets that might give reporters free trips but, through a different corporate department, buy ads. The FTC rules seem written to focus on social media more than the traditional press.

The FTC rule also doesn’t touch journalists who have other people pay their way, including through expenses to their employer. Those people might potentially also not have true perception of monetary value.

On top of all that, has anyone ever seen the FTC rule enforced?
It means that if there is any kind of compensation to the influencer/publisher...be it in the form of freebies or actual payment, there needs to be disclosure to that effect. If there isn't compensation of any kind, and the publisher is just talking about a company because they like the products, then there isn't a "relationship" and there's no need for disclosure. The purpose of the FTC rules is to ensure that the consumer is informed of any "relationship" so that they can form their own opinion about whether to trust the information presented to them. (Think of it as similar to when you see an infomercial with the disclaimer that the people presented in the infomercial are actors.)

The problems occur when companies like Disney not only don't enforce the disclosure laws (I don't know if they do or don't), or they expect positive reviews - even when they aren't deserved - and will penalize influencers who don't deliver by no longer offering the freebies and invitations to events. This isn't something Disney brings up with their influencers...it's a "wink wink, nudge nudge, read between the lines" kind of thing. I can't imagine there are many brands with the kind of leverage over influencers that Disney has...most influencers/publishers want to work with Disney because they already love the brand...and it's nefarious because it turns something that's supposed to work FOR consumers into something that works AGAINST them.

I haven't followed it much since vlogging became so popular, but in the blogging/affiliate program world, there is enforcement...by the affiliate programs themselves (which work with advertisers, like Disney, though there are some advertisers who run their own affiliate programs - last I knew, Disney worked with Commission Junction). The affiliate programs enforce because they'd be put out of business if they were found to be allowing mass violations among their publishers. Where "influencer culture" has somewhat changed the relationship between advertisers and publishers, I'm not sure there's enforcement...but there needs to be. That's the problem with government entities - they're slow and generally a step behind what's happening in the real world.

JAB

The webmasters are what is the issue there. I have no idea how things are operated now and frankly don't care.

Yulilin3 was her screenname. I still chat with her on a regular basis.
Yep. After you and Julie were gone, they had no one left to moderate the news boards, so the webmasters had to start doing the modding themselves, but they were very condescending and power trip-y. I got dinged for something someone else posted, and when I tried to point that out to them, I got a ban for daring to question them. Not sure what it's like over there these days, but I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom