News Disney's own survey is a list of Walt Disney World's 50-anniversary shortcomings

Which reasons best describe why you felt the 50th anniversary was below your expectations?

• The celebration didn't celebrate "classic Disney" and lacked nostalgia

Votes: 356 81.1%
  • Crowds made it difficult to enjoy the celebration

Votes: 153 34.9%
  • The décor was limited

Votes: 167 38.0%
  • Commemorative entertainment for the celebration was limited (stage shows, parades, etc.)

Votes: 259 59.0%
  • It was not special enough for a 50th-anniversary celebration

Votes: 349 79.5%
  • The 50th-anniversary merchandise I wanted was unavailable

Votes: 89 20.3%
  • The fireworks shows/nighttime spectaculars were not as good as previous shows

Votes: 323 73.6%
  • The fireworks shows/nighttime spectaculars didn't celebrate the 50th

Votes: 293 66.7%
  • It was difficult to find the special food and beverage offerings

Votes: 46 10.5%
  • It was not as good as other Disney celebrations

Votes: 272 62.0%

• Total voters

DisneyDebRob

Ironically, one of the most soulless things they've been obsessed with lately is shoving Soul into everything as if it's a beloved classic.
Soul, IMO was a excellent movie. Its not a beloved classic though. Nothing should be called a classic until at least 20-25 years after opening. I do understand what you are saying though about sometimes pushing things down your throat in the parks. The peoples money will make the decision of how good it is.

CaptainAmerica

Soul, IMO was a excellent movie. Its not a beloved classic though. Nothing should be called a classic until at least 20-25 years after opening. I do understand what you are saying though about sometimes pushing things down your throat in the parks. The peoples money will make the decision of how good it is.
Even "recent classics."

Moana, yup. Encanto, yup. Raya? Soul? Turning Red? Nope.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’ve mentioned this before but back in 2011, for whatever reason, there were folks from TDO visiting the DLR. I stood in front of two of them in line for Indy and I overheard one of them pointing out all the extra and “unnecessary” stuff in the queue and in our Adventureland surroundings. He said that California/TDA wastes a lot of money and they’re able to do things for cheaper out in Florida. I heard him laugh and snicker, so he was proud of cutting corners. He was absolutely bragging.

Disney is a very confusing company, for every amazing addition like Carsland you get something cheap like Pixar Pier, amazing theming of Galaxy’s edge gets followed by a mediocre Avengers campus.

I think the same is true out east, you get something stunning like Pandora followed up by Toy Story land, which I like but pales in comparison.

It seems like every couple years the imagineers are able to convince management to give them free reign and that’s quickly followed up by the accountants running the show again.

It’s one of the most frustrating things of being a Disney fan, you get glimpses of what they are capable of which just makes it more frustrating when you see how often they settle for good enough.

Prince-1

Well we are getting those cool new Magic Bands with that awesome haptic feedback that was maybe exciting to some kids perhaps 5+ years ago and they actually ALSO light up and interacts or something like that with those ugly statues.

Yes, that post was dripping with sarcasm.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think I warned about 4 years ago that people where reading the whole “50th” wrong…

I’ll take some credit even with the Covid “thing”…I believe it altered their strategy far less than people might believe.

They don’t do these things in Florida anymore…they don’t need to.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney is a very confusing company, for every amazing addition like Carsland you get something cheap like Pixar Pier, amazing theming of Galaxy’s edge gets followed by a mediocre Avengers campus.

I think the same is true out east, you get something stunning like Pandora followed up by Toy Story land, which I like but pales in comparison.

It seems like every couple years the imagineers are able to convince management to give them free reign and that’s quickly followed up by the accountants running the show again.

It’s one of the most frustrating things of being a Disney fan, you get glimpses of what they are capable of which just makes it more frustrating when you see how often they settle for good enough.
All roads lead back to this: they don’t build enough rides/restaurants/tangible things anymore. They don’t want the employee or ops cost…so they try to divert/trick their way around real additions.

I don’t mean all billion dollar stuff…they need that, and low tech things, and well themed traditional stuff. That’s what worked until 2000 and it wasn’t broken. Get back to it.

Unfortunately WDI thinks they are all artists…when that’s only part of their function. They can’t be trusted not to destroy budgets. That has hurt wdw in particular a lot.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are right, it does not matter what they do, or don't do in WDW, folks still MOB the place... It even better now, a lot less filthy APers taking up space...
Dude…don’t use my point to say the same thing you always say.

Yes…there’s no upside for them to spend in one year things because it wouldn’t increase yield. I’m not saying “Disney is invincible”. Not the same

And aren’t you supposed to be studying up on what reedy creek actually is? 🤪🤓

Disstevefan1

Dude…don’t use my point to say the same thing you always say.

Yes…there’s no upside for them to spend in one year things because it wouldn’t increase yield. I’m not saying “Disney is invincible”. Not the same

And aren’t you supposed to be studying up on what reedy creek actually is? 🤪🤓
You made me do this - ;)
TWDC and its theme parks are invincible - EVEN WITHOUT RCID :)
TWDC and DeSants will be the WINNERS
The Florida Taxpayers will be the LOSERS

Sometimes we must find humor in these terrible, awful times......

CaptainAmerica

I think I warned about 4 years ago that people where ready the whole “50th” wrong…

I’ll take some credit even with the Covid “thing”…I believe it altered their strategy far less than people might believe.

They don’t do these things in Florida anymore…they don’t need to.
Harmonious and Enchantment were appropriate scope, scale, and budget for new nighttime spectaculars. They just happen to suck.

This wasn't an example of them doing too little, it was an example of them doing the correct amount, poorly.

vikescaper

I’ll always remember October 1, 2021 for how short the wait times were throughout the day. If you wanted to go on rides, it was an awesome day. If you wanted more acknowledgment of the 50th, it was a huge letdown. After October 1, it felt just like a normal day in the parks.

Patcheslee

I'm looking at this from a why I didn't bother to visit during the Anniversary celebration. From an outside perspective there just didn't seem like they were doing much without purchasing i.e. food, merchandise, etc. Had they of done more things that felt special, it could have swayed us to visit this year even with covid protocols vs wait for next year. Not even the commercials seemed to hype me up.

Sir_Cliff

I’ve mentioned this before but back in 2011, for whatever reason, there were folks from TDO visiting the DLR. I stood in front of two of them in line for Indy and I overheard one of them pointing out all the extra and “unnecessary” stuff in the queue and in our Adventureland surroundings. He said that California/TDA wastes a lot of money and they’re able to do things for cheaper out in Florida. I heard him laugh and snicker, so he was proud of cutting corners. He was absolutely bragging.
This really doesn't surprise me, as there seems to be something obviously broken with the corporate culture over in Orlando. I hate to harp on this, but the fact it took people calling them out on the Internet for management to realise that it was a mistake to put a DJ on Main Street USA as the last thing people saw as the exited the Magic Kingdom every night shows they really don't have a feel for the product they're selling. You almost get the impression all the theming and immersion business is forced on Team Orlando by Imagineering, and they roll their eyes and go along with it until they can start making their own decisions that slowly strip away all those 'unnecessary' elements that they assume guests don't care about anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Harmonious and Enchantment were appropriate scope, scale, and budget for new nighttime spectaculars. They just happen to suck.

This wasn't an example of them doing too little, it was an example of them doing the correct amount, poorly.
Lol…they replaced ridiculously old things…one was like 21 years old.

My point it Iger built nothing for 10 years…and their show offerings were so stale they were dead.

So everyone just drummed up that “for the 50th” that was really just operational deficiencies.

And yes…they happened to suck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom