Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

J4546

I think disney should buy Studio Ghibli if possible. And then let them make a japanese disney princess. Its crazy there isnt a japanese princess when Japan has 2 of the best disney parks and japanese people love disney.

Very good article.

I really do have to wonder why people thought they would in the first place. Sony is more than movies- they've got so many fingers in so many pies, they're actually bigger than Disney in pure revenue- 65b vs. 77.4b in 2020 for Disney and Sony respectively.

Their gaming wing alone is titanic- it rivals Disney Parks in terms of revenue (22 billion in 2020, with the parks making 20-30 billion depending on the year). People mentioned hardware doesn't make a lot, but software certainly does, and besides their own published titles (several of which frequently sell many millions of copies throughout their lifetime, and that's in terms of physical copies), Sony gets a cut of every third party title sold as well.
Don’t be intentionally misleading. You know why Disney’s revenue was under Sony’s. That won’t be the case going forward.

Robbiem

Studio Ghiblis glory days are long long gone.
I don’t think buying a Japanese studio would play well in China. I’d love to see Ghibli movies on disney plus though and even a series if they could manage it. Imagine if they made an episode of the new star wars anime show

J4546

Disney should buy the loungefly company....i see so many of those mini backpacks everywhere especially in DL and my gf owns like 10 of them.....that company is printing money. Also maybe disney could alter them and add an elastic stretchable pocket to the side to hold water bottles.

Robbiem

Revenue means nothing, profits do.

I don’t know much about economics but I’d say profit is only one part of the equation. It would fluctuate from year to year and doesn’t account for investment, R&D etc where you are spending for the future or assets the company might hold like property (real and intellectual), perception of brands, soft influence etc.

saying that according to this list Sony is 36 on the worlds most profitable companies while Disney isn’t in the top 50.

In truth there is not going to be any ‘agreed‘ way to value companies and to be honest this is a moot point. Several smaller companies have bought out larger ones in the past so size really isn’t everything

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t know much about economics but I’d say profit is only one part of the equation. It would fluctuate from year to year and doesn’t account for investment, R&D etc where you are spending for the future or assets the company might hold like property (real and intellectual), perception of brands, soft influence etc.

saying that according to this list Sony is 36 on the worlds most profitable companies while Disney isn’t in the top 50.

In truth there is not going to be any ‘agreed‘ way to value companies and to be honest this is a moot point. Several smaller companies have bought out larger ones in the past so size really isn’t everything
When it comes to mergers and acquisitions (commonly known as M&A) its usually Market Cap that is the largest factor of who can by whom on Wall St., and then of course the largest pocket book (access to the most capital).....

Smaller companies tend to have neither so its rare, but not unheard of, for a smaller company to buy a larger company. And in those situations it usually comes down to a shareholder proxy battle, but that is another complicated part that is not worth getting into here.

Point is, going back to your original question, its unlikely Sony would buy Disney as it would have no financial incentive to do so from a business strategy standpoint. Whereas there could be an argument made, as has been seen just by this thread alone, for Disney to buy a piece or all of Sony. But its unlikely for that to happen at this point either, so its a moot subject.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Looks like Disney might gonna buy Alvin and the Chipmunks for this because, Disney has all four live action Alvin and the Chipmunks movies (used to be from 20th Century Fox (now Disney owns it).

Quinnmac000

Looks like Disney might gonna buy Alvin and the Chipmunks for this because, Disney has all four live action Alvin and the Chipmunks movies (used to be from 20th Century Fox (now Disney owns it).
Cost and ROI matter more than the IP. Disney already owns the distribution rights to those live action films without buying the full company just like Universal owns the rights to the animated straight to video movies.

seascape

Now that DVC has switched trading companies from RCI to Interval International, they should consider buying Marriott Vacations Worldwide. The current Market Cap of Marriott Vacations is 6.9 billion so they should be able to buy it for 7.5 billion and gain some of the best resorts and better management for DVC.

Robbiem

Now that DVC has switched trading companies from RCI to Interval International, they should consider buying Marriott Vacations Worldwide. The current Market Cap of Marriott Vacations is 6.9 billion so they should be able to buy it for 7.5 billion and gain some of the best resorts and better management for DVC.
Really interesting idea to grow the company - it might give disney control of the Marriott timeshare by DLP which I think was at one point planned to be DVC

Darkprime

Original Poster
Under the current administration. I think it's clear if Disney wants to acquire anything in the future they'll be limited to small production companies like (Lionsgate) or regaining character rights like Spider-Man. David Faber of CNBC brought up an interesting point how it's unlikely the Fox merger could have been done today. I think In that scenario Disney doubles down on it's efforts to regain Spider-Man but now that they got X-Men and FF regaining Spider-Man isn't a priority and the current Sony deal will suffice but if they hadn't got Fox. Spidey would have definitely been a priority imo and I have no doubt Disney would have made a play for it maybe even Sony as a whole.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Under the current administration. I think it's clear if Disney wants to acquire anything in the future they'll be limited to small production companies like (Lionsgate) or regaining character rights like Spider-Man. David Faber of CNBC brought up an interesting point how it's unlikely the Fox merger could have been done today. I think In that scenario Disney doubles down on it's efforts to regain Spider-Man but now that they got X-Men and FF regaining Spider-Man isn't a priority and the current Sony deal will suffice but if they hadn't got Fox. Spidey would have definitely been a priority imo and I have no doubt Disney would have made a play for it maybe even Sony as a whole.
The likelihood of Marvel/Disney getting just Spider-Man (and his family of characters) from Sony without a Sony purchase is pretty much zero. However there has been debate on if Sony is purchased by someone else that Spider-Man would revert back to Marvel/Disney.

Anyways, Disney isn't likely in the market for anything right now so this is all a moot point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom