Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

WizardofDestiny123

I still maintain that the most natural fit for Disney at the moment would be something of a smaller scale;
The Jim Henson Company (the family can work on the characters again/the non-Sesame Street Henson works back under one roof), the Spider-Man movie rights, or maybe Hasbro.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I still maintain that the most natural fit for Disney at the moment would be something of a smaller scale;
The Jim Henson Company (the family can work on the characters again/the non-Sesame Street Henson works back under one roof), the Spider-Man movie rights, or maybe Hasbro.
Sony Corp appears to have no interest in selling just the Spider-Man rights alone, Disney would have to buy all of Sony Pictures. However there has been some speculation that the Spider-Man rights revert back to Marvel automatically in the event Sony Pictures is sold to another company that isn't Marvel/Disney. So if true it would make more sense for Disney to just wait it out and play nice with Sony on any future Spider-Man films until Sony decides to sell Sony Pictures (which has been rumored for years, even though Sony Corp claims otherwise).

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Robbiem

Flip it the other way around- could Sony corp buy Disney? I don’t think they would but I suspect they might be a bigger company overall than the mouse

seascape

Flip it the other way around- could Sony corp buy Disney? I don’t think they would but I suspect they might be a bigger company overall than the mouse
Sony's market cap is only 121.87 billion. That is much smaller than Disney's market cap of 318.22 billion.

Darkprime

Original Poster

Now wouldn't that be an ironic twist of fate? In that hypothetical you would hope Sony would continue to let Feige do his thing and give Marvel full control of Spidey.

Robbiem

Sony's market cap is only 121.87 billion. That is much smaller than Disney's market cap of 318.22 billion.
Wow That’s crazy! Sony is the Apple of Japan

How can a company the size of Sony with all those products and factories be worth less than Disney. Sony make so many things play station, mobile,phones, laptops, digital cameras, TVs etc and thats before you add in making components for other people (they make imaging sensors and chips for a lot of other companies). Its a messed up world when a company that makes entertainment is worth that much more than a company that makes real things and owns its own entertainment company

Last edited:
Once Disney is firing at all cylinders it’s revenue will escalate beyond 100b which is a bit more than Sony’s. The only company that could realistically buy Disney is Apple.

How can a company the size of Sony with all those products and factories be worth less than Disney. Sony make so many things play station, mobile,phones, laptops, digital cameras, TVs etc and thats before you add in making components for other people (they make imaging sensors and chips for a lot of other companies). Its a messed up world when a company that makes entertainment is worth that much more than a company that makes real things and owns its own entertainment company
Sony’s entertainment assets are dwarfed by Disney’s. And parks are a 25-30b yearly revenue machine when everything returns to normal. And gaming and electronics are a fairly low margin business unless you’re Apple and can apply a massive brand premium.

Robbiem

Sony’s entertainment assets are dwarfed by Disney’s. And parks are a 25-30b yearly revenue machine when everything returns to normal. And gaming and electronics are a fairly low margin business unless you’re Apple and can apply a massive brand premium.
Its fascinating that Disney is bigger now than the companies that would have sponsored attractions back in the day

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Hardware is a very low margin business, and in the consumer market its very competitive.

Look at Apple themselves, they went MANY decades before hitting the market cap they are now. Had the iDevices with its built-in infrastructure not caught on with consumers they wouldn't be where they are now, a leader in their space. The problem with Sony is they play in too many markets where they aren't the leader, and that is a low profit game. Its why many investors have wanted Sony to divest itself from some product segments including getting rid of Sony Pictures.

Karakasa

Very good article.

I really do have to wonder why people thought they would in the first place. Sony is more than movies- they've got so many fingers in so many pies, they're actually bigger than Disney in pure revenue- 65b vs. 77.4b in 2020 for Disney and Sony respectively.

Their gaming wing alone is titanic- it rivals Disney Parks in terms of revenue (22 billion in 2020, with the parks making 20-30 billion depending on the year). People mentioned hardware doesn't make a lot, but software certainly does, and besides their own published titles (several of which frequently sell many millions of copies throughout their lifetime, and that's in terms of physical copies), Sony gets a cut of every third party title sold as well.

seascape

Very good article.

I really do have to wonder why people thought they would in the first place. Sony is more than movies- they've got so many fingers in so many pies, they're actually bigger than Disney in pure revenue- 65b vs. 77.4b in 2020 for Disney and Sony respectively.

Their gaming wing alone is titanic- it rivals Disney Parks in terms of revenue (22 billion in 2020, with the parks making 20-30 billion depending on the year). People mentioned hardware doesn't make a lot, but software certainly does, and besides their own published titles (several of which frequently sell many millions of copies throughout their lifetime, and that's in terms of physical copies), Sony gets a cut of every third party title sold as well.
Again, Disney doesn't want to buy Sony but Sony is much smaller than The Walt Disney Company. The entire market cap for Sony as of yesterday's close was $122.06 billion. Disney's was $322.83 billion. It's not even close. There are only 27 companies in the world with a larger market cap than Disney. Sony is ranked 116th and Comcast 32nd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom