Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

The Grand Inquisitor

I forgot Apple. Plus if Amazon buys both MGM and Lionsgate and Apple buys Sony, does Disney get Soiderman back for free and what is left for Comcast?

On the streaming side of the business, Peacock is not doing as well as some think. Everyone I know has signed up for fhe free version and will never pay for it. That is where most of their customers come from, for free. I pay for Disney+ Hulu and Paramount+. I am also a Prime member but dropped Netflix. If I still need to watch something else there are tons of other free streaming services and no reason to give my money to anyone else. In fact after the first year of Paramount+ Ibmay drop it. It is worth the $60.00 ad free deal for the first year but not worth a penny more.
I believe if Apple buys Sony the spider man rights revert back to Marvel.

Quinnmac000

I forgot Apple. Plus if Amazon buys both MGM and Lionsgate and Apple buys Sony, does Disney get Soiderman back for free and what is left for Comcast?

On the streaming side of the business, Peacock is not doing as well as some think. Everyone I know has signed up for fhe free version and will never pay for it. That is where most of their customers come from, for free. I pay for Disney+ Hulu and Paramount+. I am also a Prime member but dropped Netflix. If I still need to watch something else there are tons of other free streaming services and no reason to give my money to anyone else. In fact after the first year of Paramount+ Ibmay drop it. It is worth the $60.00 ad free deal for the first year but not worth a penny more.
Comcast has been transparent about the number of users who are actually paying members vs given away for having Comcast and more. Out of the 42 million people, 1/3 are MAU (Monthly Active Users actually paying for the service) which exactly 1/3 of Hulu's as well. Additionally, Peacock suffered more from the introduction of COVID then every other service because all the programming to launch Peacock production was stopped due to COVID as well as their big Olympic broadcasting of events through peacock delayed as well.

Comcast is building up their own ecostructure in a way that is different than Disney/Warner with Telemundo Global Studios, Sky Studios, and NBCInternational Studios. Telemundo Global studios is already the leader in creating the most Spanish language productions for streaming services since 2011. Sky Studios is about to spend 20 billion a year on producing content for Sky and outside distributors focusing on UK, and NBCInternational Studios is gaining in traction due to the number of series they have sold to outside distributors around the world.

You made the wrong assumptions as to why Comcast buys certain companies. Comcast wanting to be Fox was less about content and more about Star's infrastructure and penetration into the SE Asian Market which is one of NBCUniversal weakest areas outside of Dreamworks animation.

Additionally you are wrong about Comcast not being able to buy Warner/Discovery. They can not fully own the company nor would they want to fully own it but the suggesting is Comcast becoming a partner in ownership while retaining full control over NBCUniversal and what currently was being suggested and being suggested by Malone and would easily get around antitrust laws.

Apple doesn't want Sony nor does Sony want to sell.

Lastly Comcast doesn't want Lionsgate, the same way they and Apple passed on MGM due to the fact it was over worth 6 billion. Lionsgate lacks the talent and library to jusitfy the level of valuation their shareholders would want.

The Grand Inquisitor

Comcast has been transparent about the number of users who are actually paying members vs given away for having Comcast and more. Out of the 42 million people, 1/3 are MAU (Monthly Active Users actually paying for the service) which exactly 1/3 of Hulu's as well. Additionally, Peacock suffered more from the introduction of COVID then every other service because all the programming to launch Peacock production was stopped due to COVID as well as their big Olympic broadcasting of events through peacock delayed as well.

Comcast is building up their own ecostructure in a way that is different than Disney/Warner with Telemundo Global Studios, Sky Studios, and NBCInternational Studios. Telemundo Global studios is already the leader in creating the most Spanish language productions for streaming services since 2011. Sky Studios is about to spend 20 billion a year on producing content for Sky and outside distributors focusing on UK, and NBCInternational Studios is gaining in traction due to the number of series they have sold to outside distributors around the world.

You made the wrong assumptions as to why Comcast buys certain companies. Comcast wanting to be Fox was less about content and more about Star's infrastructure and penetration into the SE Asian Market which is one of NBCUniversal weakest areas outside of Dreamworks animation.

Additionally you are wrong about Comcast not being able to buy Warner/Discovery. They can not fully own the company nor would they want to fully own it but the suggesting is Comcast becoming a partner in ownership while retaining full control over NBCUniversal and what currently was being suggested and being suggested by Malone and would easily get around antitrust laws.

Apple doesn't want Sony nor does Sony want to sell.

Lastly Comcast doesn't want Lionsgate, the same way they and Apple passed on MGM due to the fact it was over worth 6 billion. Lionsgate lacks the talent and library to jusitfy the level of valuation their shareholders would want.
So basically Comcast could not acquire ViacomCBS?

Quinnmac000

So basically Comcast could not acquire ViacomCBS?
They would have to divest immediately CBS broadcast stations and ownership of CBS. There may be a few other issues as well. But neither have a significant enough market share to be blocked for antitrust reasons if they relinquished CBS.

The issue with the purchase is this, what is the exact value and what is being brought to the table besides established IPs. The strength of Viacom/CBS is their youth content but does it justify the purchase. While Content is king, what is the gain when you have so many overlapping redundancies you will cut/divest later that you spent money on.

Darkprime

Original Poster
What are the companies that Disney would look to buy following the Amazon-MGM and WarnerMedia-Discovery deals?

Honestly, wouldn't be shocked to see Disney at least attempt to buy AT&T 70% (I think it was?) of WarnerBros. Discovery once that deal closes. Whether it would get approved is a whole other matter. Disney would need to weigh up the financial risks and whether or not its worth possibly triggering an anti-trust lawsuit.

Last edited:

brodie999

Honestly, wouldn't be shocked to see Disney at least attempt to buy Amazon's 70% (I think it was?) of WarnerBros. Discovery once that deal closes. Whether it would get approved is a whole other matter. Disney would need to weight up the financial risks and whether or not its worth possibly triggering an anti-trust lawsuit.
Yeah, that deal's probably gotten approval from a few countries already. I don't know which ones, but they were quick to approve it.

Disney owning 70% of WarnerBros. Discovery would be a nightmare for many people, but I wouldn't mind if they did. I accepted the Disney-Fox deal without hesitation.

Darkprime

Original Poster
Yeah, that deal's probably gotten approval from a few countries already. I don't know which ones, but they were quick to approve it.

Disney owning 70% of WarnerBros. Discovery would be a nightmare for many people, but I wouldn't mind if they did. I accepted the Disney-Fox deal without hesitation.

Lol just realize I said amazon I meant AT&T.

Darkprime

Original Poster
Hahaha... that's okay. Have you heard any countries approving the deal?

Nothing yet. I'm guessing the DOJ will approve it first though. That will probably come by December then you'll start seeing the deal approved overseas. Before it finally closes about about a year from now next June.

brodie999

Nothing yet. I'm guessing the DOJ will approve it first though. That will probably come by December then you'll start seeing the deal approved overseas. Before it finally closes about about a year from now next June.
Yeah, your theories sound right, even if some of them don't turn out the true. In the meantime, I can see Disney buying Sony in light of the Amazon-MGM and Warner Bros. Discovery deals.

A purchase of Sony would be the best fit in my opinion, but they will have to spend a pretty penny so they’ll have to wait a while. I dont think you can realistically just buy Sony pictures. They’d have to buy Sony Entertainment with the tv studio and music division as well

brodie999

A purchase of Sony would be the best fit in my opinion, but they will have to spend a pretty penny so they’ll have to wait a while. I dont think you can realistically just buy Sony pictures. They’d have to buy Sony Entertainment with the tv studio and music division as well
I agree. Who knows? It might be announced a few months after the MGM-Amazon and WarnerMedia-Discovery mergers. There's gonna be a fresh new wave of mergers, and companies will go on a shopping spree one by one.

brodie999

It looks like Comcast might be making a move for either Comcast or Roku. Hopefully, it'll be announced within the next month or two. Then it'll be Disney's turn to announce a acquisition.

seascape

Yeah, I agree 100%. If they buy Roku, they'll get free content on Paramount+. The new wave of mergers is coming.
They could buy Roku and not have any problems getting it approved. However, that is something they should have done several years ago when they could have purchased it for much less. Buying Roku now will add $70 billion in debt plus whatever debt Roku has. It may be a good move for Comcast but I think that much debt would hurt their investments in their parks.

brodie999

They could buy Roku and not have any problems getting it approved. However, that is something they should have done several years ago when they could have purchased it for much less. Buying Roku now will add $70 billion in debt plus whatever debt Roku has. It may be a good move for Comcast but I think that much debt would hurt their investments in their parks.
Well, they could finally announce it soon Hopefully, Disney will follow suit by announcing they're buying Sony in another month or so.

brodie999

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom