Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

Slpy3270

1) Sony wouldn't go for that trade
2) MGM is not the sole owner of the Bond franchise, so whoever buys them will still have to deal with EON and Danjaq
3) Buying MGM is a worse acquisition target than SPE
The 21CF acquisition was the last chance for anyone to reasonably grow.

Of course Disney should try and buy MGM
Then they should trade James Bond to Sony for Spiderman.
They're still trying to digest 21CF right now, and that will likely take another year or two, if not longer given the scale of the merger. There's no need to continue acquiring things; this is as big as Disney's going to get.

seascape

The 21CF acquisition was the last chance for anyone to reasonably grow.

They're still trying to digest 21CF right now, and that will likely take another year or two, if not longer given the scale of the merger. There's no need to continue acquiring things; this is as big as Disney's going to get.

I disagree that this is as big as Disney gets. I believe their streaming service will be the first streamer to reach 1 billion paying customers. Their Parks and Resorts will add 3 or more international resorts over the next 20 years. They could also add some smaller locations in the US. The movie theaters will survive and grow internationally and they will need to increase production to fill Asia's 3 to 4 billion peoples desire for entertainment.

Robbiem

I disagree that this is as big as Disney gets. I believe their streaming service will be the first streamer to reach 1 billion paying customers. Their Parks and Resorts will add 3 or more international resorts over the next 20 years. They could also add some smaller locations in the US. The movie theaters will survive and grow internationally and they will need to increase production to fill Asia's 3 to 4 billion peoples desire for entertainment.

where do you see the three resorts as being. I could see another mainland Chinese resort and one in India but I’m not sure about the third South America / Middle East or somewhere else entirely

Twilight_Roxas

where do you see the three resorts as being. I could see another mainland Chinese resort and one in India but I’m not sure about the third South America / Middle East or somewhere else entirely
If they do Middle East it would have to be in the United Arabs Estimate like Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Haymarket

I think that’s exactly spot-on re China. Beijing, probably. The government will probably want the “prize“ of a Disney resort for the capital and the nation’s north. Universal alone won’t cut it. I think Beijing is presently and into the near future the most likely of any location in the world.

I think Vietnam is possible sometime within 20 years. Saigon (yes, they’ll use “Saigon”, cf. HCMC). Crazy-sounding, compared to almost all of the commonly discussed places and given the general public’s lagging perception of the country, but it’s pretty clear they have a very bright future and key elements are well-aligned for a resort: excellent overall business environment, limited civil society (e.g., NIMBYs, self-appointed cultural guardians among outspoken academics and artists, religious authorities to challenge the state’s economic and cultural agendas), technocratic authoritarian governance, great demographics (almost 100 million, young, etc.). I think they’re also going to make it past the middle-income trap that ensnared Thailand and Malaysia.

I think there will eventually be a small resort in Texas as well. Not a castle park, though. Maybe to start something vaguely like Disney’s American Celebration (cf. Disney’s America; i.e., something with limited scope for the media and civil society to start demanding “input” re content). Hotels and a water park as well. The regulatory landscape of its exurbs and beyond (cf. its cities and suburbs) are just too good, as are its demographics, particularly in contrast to California, where you can’t really build anything big anymore.

Possibly Seoul as well, but less likely than Texas. But its metro area of 25 million is somewhat like Tokyo’s 30 million (the “demographic crisis” line is overhyped given the size of the middle class there), and per capita income (PPP) will surpass that of Japan in 2–5 years (IMF).

Last edited:

Robbiem

If they do Middle East it would have to be in the United Arabs Estimate like Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
UAE is the most likely candidate for a Middle Eastern disneyland but other countries in the region like qatar and even Saudi Arabia are looking to boost their tourism. There are also other nearby resort areas like sharm el sheik and aquaba in Jordan which could also work but I think UAE, and probably Abu Dhabi would be favourite for its access to funding and existing tourist sector - it already has open Warner bros and ferarri theme parks and has spent a lot on museums etc to build its reputation as a stop over destination between europe and the far east / Oceania regions

Lilofan

UAE is the most likely candidate for a Middle Eastern disneyland but other countries in the region like qatar and even Saudi Arabia are looking to boost their tourism. There are also other nearby resort areas like sharm el sheik and aquaba in Jordan which could also work but I think UAE, and probably Abu Dhabi would be favourite for its access to funding and existing tourist sector - it already has open Warner bros and ferarri theme parks and has spent a lot on museums etc to build its reputation as a stop over destination between europe and the far east / Oceania regions
Controversial Saudi leader Bin Salam and other investors are building a massive sports, leisure and entertainment destination lands in Saudi Arabia. A long time Disney exec Phillipe Gas is now their new CEO.

Last edited:

Twilight_Roxas

Plus it would have to be the first indoor Disneyland theme park. Disney most likely won’t be able to put in Dubai since they have Marvel in their park so Abu Dhabi would be the closest to have a indoor Disneyland park.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

This is going to be an annoyingly cryptic post, but I can't contain myself: I have firsthand knowledge an 'intellectual property' that Disney is acquiring! I'm so tempted to spill right now, but I think I need to wait until the official announcement is out within the next few months.

I'm skeptical of your source because I don't know your record. Furthermore anyone can say what you just said lol. "Wait until official announcement" then something happens and one can go like, "that's what I was hinting at!" and if never gets announced one can say that it's still in the works or negotiations fell through.

With that said I think it's likely that Disney is shopping to get properties, mainly because the streaming wars. Marvel properties whose IPs they don't fully own (i.e. Spider-Man, Hulk) obviously come to mind. Distribution rights to older things like Indiana Jones and Muppets as well.

I think that’s exactly spot-on re China. Beijing, probably. The government will probably want the “prize“ of a Disney resort for the capital and the nation’s north. Universal alone won’t cut it. I think Beijing is presently and into the near future the most likely of any location in the world.

I think Vietnam is possible sometime within 20 years. Saigon (yes, they’ll use “Saigon”, cf. HCMC). Crazy-sounding, compared to almost all of the commonly discussed places and given the general public’s lagging perception of the country, but it’s pretty clear they have a very bright future and key elements are well-aligned for a resort: excellent overall business environment, limited civil society (e.g., NIMBYs, self-appointed cultural guardians among outspoken academics and artists, religious authorities to challenge the state’s economic and cultural agendas), technocratic authoritarian governance, great demographics (almost 100 million). I think they’re also going to make it past the middle-income trap that ensnared Thailand and Malaysia.

I think there will eventually be a small resort in Texas as well. Not a castle park, though. Maybe to start something vaguely like Disney’s American Celebration (cf. Disney’s America; i.e., something with limited scope for the media and civil society to start demanding “input” re content). Hotels and a water park as well. The regulatory landscape of its exurbs and beyond (cf. its cities and suburbs) are just too good, as are its demographics, particularly in contrast to California, where you can’t really build anything big anymore.

Possibly Seoul as well, but less likely than Texas. But its metro area of 25 million is somewhat like Tokyo’s 30 million (the “demographic crisis” line is overhyped given the size of the middle class there), and per capita income (PPP) will surpass that of Japan in 2–5 years (IMF).

I would think Chengdu or Chongqing is more attractive to TWDC. Universal is already in Beijing and less entertainment competition in those other metropolitan areas. However, I don't think anything of the sort would happen until we are back to normal in a post covid world and the leverage is back to historical low levels.

A Texas resort would also allow them to have Marvel properties unlike Orlando, so that makes it attractive in and of itself.

Haymarket

I would think Chengdu or Chongqing is more attractive to TWDC
Absolutely — you’re right. I just think that the Chinese government will want a prestige development like another Disney resort built in the metropolitan area of the nation’s capital, which is also arguably the only first-tier metro area (cf. city) in China without such a resort yet (given Shanghai and Hong Kong). I think the Chinese government can pressure and incentivize (authorizing a local Disney Channel, etc.) Disney to “choose” Beijing.

President Xi is currently directing China’s transformation into a “dual circulation” economy where domestic consumption grows into an equal partner of export-led growth. State companies also need big projects. I think it might happen sooner rather than later, the vast majority of it funded by state entities. Like this decade. It could be Chapek’s legacy parks project, as Shanghai was Iger’s.

Last edited:

J4546

I thnk the next park will be in India. After aquiring Star India and getting 700 million subscriber mostly based in india, and new park there would make sense. Also an India Pavilion at Epcot will probably come soon I would guess

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Absolutely — you’re right. I just think that the Chinese government will want a prestige development like another Disney resort built in the metropolitan area of the nation’s capital, which is also arguably the only first-tier metro area (cf. city) in China without such a resort yet (given Shanghai and Hong Kong). I think the Chinese government can pressure and incentivize (authorizing a local Disney Channel, etc.) Disney to “choose” Beijing.

President Xi is currently directing China’s transformation into a “dual circulation” economy where domestic consumption grows into an equal partner of export-led growth. State companies also need big projects. I think it might happen sooner rather than later, the vast majority of it funded by state entities. Like this decade. It could be Chapek’s legacy parks project, as Shanghai was Iger’s.

I thnk the next park will be in India. After aquiring Star India and getting 700 million subscriber mostly based in india, and new park there would make sense. Also an India Pavilion at Epcot will probably come soon I would guess

Sure, with incentives anything is possible. Allow Disney to release Disney+ in China without having to go through a 3rd party, or mainly controlling it, then they'll build a resort wherever the Chinese government wants.

India would be major, but land in the desirable metropolitan areas in India (i.e. Delhi, Mumbai, etc) is crazy expensive. From what I'm told it's comparable to NYC prices.

Sorry, I was totally drunk when I posted, lol. The acquisition literally pertains to me (hence the first hand knowledge), and my excitement mixed with the alcohol prompted the post, when I should really be keeping my mouth shut until I'm allowed to talk about it.

And yes, I could totally see Disney wanting streaming rights for Indie, especially with the new movie and possible reboot being announced.

I am not sure what literally pertains to you means.

Disney has full rights to future Indie movies (and presumably TV shows), but not for the past ones, which is what they would be interested in acquiring.

seascape

Disney's next acquisition is easy, the 1/3 of Hulu they don't own. Now, they should actually triple down on it and buy MGM Entertainment. That would give them full ownership of "Handmaid's Tale" and thousands of other shows and movies.

Of couse I wouldn't stop there. Disney needs to improve it's themepark capacity and numbers so they should buy Seaworld and Cedar Fair. Yes, both of them. Seaworld Orlando would give them their 5th gate in Orlando while Cedar Fair would give them their third in Anaheim. Plus Seaworld San Diego is only a 90 minute drive from Disneyland and could be added to those vacationing at the DLR. The remaining parks could be put in a new Division, Regional Parks, and used as a marketing tool for Disney+, Disneý Movies, Disney Television and Destination Vacations. Plus, Florida and Texas are fast growing states and Williamsburg is close to the only city that never has a recession, Washington DC.

Bob Chapek has the opportunity to put his mark on the Company and today is the day. They have the money so use it.

Brer Oswald

I've said it before and I will say it again. Disney should be looking into video game companies. Video Games, as a medium of entertainment, continue to become more prominent as time goes on. At the very least, Disney should be looking into partnering with more gaming companies for stuff other than the occasional Star Wars or Marvel game. Disney's reluctance to go beyond "dipping their toe" into the gaming industry is quite baffling for such a large multimedia corporation in the 21st century.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom