Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

Magic Crush Drop

But what IPs Disney would be getting that are worth the trouble of acquiring them?

Disney barely made it out with Fox because of the regulations in different countries, so why would any other country (outside the US) let them get larger and larger?

Darkprime

Original Poster
But what IPs Disney would be getting that are worth the trouble of acquiring them?

Disney barely made it out with Fox because of the regulations in different countries, so why would any other country (outside the US) let them get larger and larger?

Lionsgate is purely a U.S. based studio. As far as I know they a have no international assets that would require international regulatory approval. I dont think Disney would have much trouble get a Lionsgate merger approved by the DOJ. In terms of films they would acquire as I mentioned above. Hunger games would be the biggest one.

But maybe have a look here to get a better idea.

Magic Crush Drop

Lionsgate is purely a U.S. based studio. As far as I know they a have no international assets that would require international regulatory approval. I dont think Disney would have much trouble get a Lionsgate merger approved by the DOJ. In terms of films they would acquire as I mentioned above. Hunger games would be the biggest one.

But maybe have a look here to get a better idea.

Thanks. It makes sense since Hulu has the rights to stream their movies.

Robbiem

I wonder if plans have changed post covid. if the longer term trend moves to more home based entertainment I could see Disney finally moving on the gaming market maybe something a new CEO might do to show he is not Iger?

Another possibly could be something like Lego. There is a great deal of synergy between both companies Something like Lego Star Wars shows the synergy potential for toys, movies etc as a parallel to the main brand. I can’t remember if Lego still own their parks but again it gives disney a different outlet to test some of the regional entertainment ideas they have been toy with for years without damage to the main brand

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if plans have changed post covid. if the longer term trend moves to more home based entertainment I could see Disney finally moving on the gaming market maybe something a new CEO might do to show he is not Iger?

Another possibly could be something like Lego. There is a great deal of synergy between both companies Something like Lego Star Wars shows the synergy potential for toys, movies etc as a parallel to the main brand. I can’t remember if Lego still own their parks but again it gives disney a different outlet to test some of the regional entertainment ideas they have been toy with for years without damage to the main brand
Great idea...

The one problem i could see with Lego is that Disney would have to be “hands off” if they were to acquire it. LEGO has a dedicated reputation/fan base just as Disney does...

An “imperialist American takeover” of it would not be received well.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Great idea...

The one problem i could see with Lego is that Disney would have to be “hands off” if they were to acquire it. LEGO has a dedicated reputation/fan base just as Disney does...

An “imperialist American takeover” of it would not be received well.
Lego is owned and operated by a Denmark company, I don't believe Denmark considers America and by extension Disney as "imperialistic". In many ways Denmark and America are fairly similar.

However I would agree that Lego is likely not a takeover target for an American company. Or any company outside of Denmark for that matter. As Denmark considers Lego as a sense of national pride.

For a good look at Lego I suggest watching "Beyond The Brick" (sometimes labeled as "A LEGO Brickumentary"), a documentary that came out in 2014.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lego is owned and operated by a Denmark company, I don't believe Denmark considers America and by extension Disney as "imperialistic". In many ways Denmark and America are fairly similar.

However I would agree that Lego is likely not a takeover target for an American company. Or any company outside of Denmark for that matter. As Denmark considers Lego as a sense of national pride.

For a good look at Lego I suggest watching "Beyond The Brick" (sometimes labeled as "A LEGO Brickumentary"), a documentary that came out in 2014.
I’ve seen it...

My point is that not everyone company wants to be bought by Disney.

On a Disney forum...”nobody” has bad opinion of Disney or doesn’t want to be bought by them (except ex CMs...of course)

But that isn’t based in reality. They are a popular brand/company but not that loved. No one is.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’ve seen it...

My point is that not everyone company wants to be bought by Disney.

On a Disney forum...”nobody” has bad opinion of Disney or doesn’t want to be bought by them (except ex CMs...of course)

But that isn’t based in reality. They are a popular brand/company but not that loved. No one is.
I have no doubt or even question that Disney isn't beloved by all, especially in the business world. Disney (and a lot of other American companies for that matter) is seen as ruthless from a business perspective.

Magic Crush Drop

How about Don Bluth’s new studio?
Don Bluth's new studio doesn't (at lease that I know of) have any IP yet. If Bluth's studio had IP, still Disney wouldn't buy it because they have to deal with the current situation. Also this might alert the government because how much market power Disney has in animation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom