Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Disney actually has a very talented team of software developers for a lot of aspects of the company, just look at Volume which is 100% all software based. Now I know from the Parks side we don't think so because of the tech fails there, but that isn't a complete picture. They've also been hiring software developers specifically for the metaverse project like crazy, so they can build this team without acquiring another company.

In fact they've already filed patents on a virtual world simulator in the real world, basically the ability to 3D project onto real world objects. This is exactly what metaverse is within Disney, the ability to expand the guest personalized experience. So they are already working on it, what appears to be expanding on the tech used for Volume out in the real world, I don't think they are as far behind as you think they are.

Now could they benefit by acquiring a company like Epic Games for their Unreal Engine which is the software they use for Volume, 100% And in fact I personally would say they should as they use it extensively now in all their film production, and appear to be using it for metaverse as well. But do they NEED it, no as they've been successful in using it so far just by licensing the technology.

As someone who has seen the source code and the testing framework for some of Disney's biggest software programs I disagree, but I digress. My post on M&A is my opinion, you disagree. It's fine.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As someone who has seen the source code and the testing framework for some of Disney's biggest software programs I disagree, but I digress. My post on M&A is my opinion, you disagree. It's fine.
Since I don't know the software you've seen I can only guess its Parks related which is where so many get their opinion of Disney software, and not the actual Helios software, which replaced Unreal Engine, for The Volume which was created by ILM. Remember that ILM is part of Disney, ILM has developed some of the most sophisticated software programs in the world for visual effects. All those same software developers now work for Disney. If you haven't look into it or are not aware of it, I suggest you look into it.

Also I never said I disagree with you, at least not in the long term. All I was pointing out was Chapek's comments didn't indicate acquiring another company. Also as I mentioned them buying someone like Epic Games might make sense long term.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Since I don't know the software you've seen I can only guess its Parks related which is where so many get their opinion of Disney software, and not the actual Helios software, which replaced Unreal Engine, for The Volume which was created by ILM. Remember that ILM is part of Disney, ILM has developed some of the most sophisticated software programs in the world for visual effects. All those same software developers now work for Disney. If you haven't look into it or are not aware of it, I suggest you look into it.

Also I never said I disagree with you, at least not in the long term. All I was pointing out was Chapek's comments didn't indicate acquiring another company. Also as I mentioned them buying someone like Epic Games might make sense long term.

I can see the appeal for Epic Games, but their growth has been significant to the point their multiple would almost make it financially prohibitive. Plus if Sweeney sells the most likely buyer is Tencent since they own 40% of the business.

All the Japanese companies you listed, Disney is not authorized to buy as of 2020.
I know exactly what you are alluding to. Your statement is factually inaccurate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I can see the appeal for Epic Games, but their growth has been significant to the point their multiple would almost make it financially prohibitive. Plus if Sweeney sells the most likely buyer is Tencent since they own 40% of the business.

I don't know if selling fully to a Chinese investment firm is in the best interest of the company.

But either way not sure if Disney has the appetite yet for a major purchase anyways.

Time will tell, but it'll be interesting to see how the next couple of years goes with this new metaverse they are working on.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not saying this means Disney will be buying Sony, I just thought I'd put this on here because it would show fans how much Disney and Sony's relationship is growing.

At this point I don't think there is any reason to believe that the relationship between Disney and Sony has soured again. Sony is grateful for its connection to the MCU and would love to keep that relationship going as long as possible.

WizardofDestiny123

As much as I would love to see Naughty Dog do a Last of Us I and II-quality Punisher game, I am worried that it would attract a political firestorm. There are certain elements of the far-right that have misunderstood what the character is all about and misappropriated him. For some Marvel fans, it has destroyed the character.

I would love nothing more than to see Marvel revitalize the character, especially with an actor of the quality of Jon Bernthal. But it's going to take time and effort. I hope they tread lightly.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney CEO Bob Chapek was at the Sun Valley scene 2 days ago. Any ideas what mergers he might've had on his mind?

None, I wouldn't expect Disney to look to acquire another company for another couple years. They'll likely wait until after any recession uncertainty has passed.

brodie999

Disney might announce they have regained the rights to Spider-Man in a agreement with Sony at D23.

Last edited:

matt78

That seems a bit of a stretch. I do not doubt that Disney will negotiate such an arrangement at some point, even if it's not complete ownership (i.e. rights sharing). But I feel like something would have leaked to the press by now. If it hasn't, well...then that's quite a showstopper.
I agree. If anything, I think they might have expanded their current deal to include Sony's expanded Spider-Verse movies. I can't imagine that Disney/Marvel wants Sony making any more Morbius quality movies.

If Disney ever does buy back Spider-Man I wonder if they would expand the deal to include Sony's other Marvel property Men in Black.

WizardofDestiny123

I agree. If anything, I think they might have expanded their current deal to include Sony's expanded Spider-Verse movies. I can't imagine that Disney/Marvel wants Sony making any more Morbius quality movies.

If Disney ever does buy back Spider-Man I wonder if they would expand the deal to include Sony's other Marvel property Men in Black.
No more Morbin' time?

But in all seriousness, that movie is the dullest comic book film since 2005's Elektra movie.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney might announce they have regained the rights to Spider-Man in a agreement with Sony at D23.

As I mentioned in the other thread, not likely to happen. The banners were for the Spider-Man 60th anniversary panel not some announcement.

At this point except for maybe Sony expanding the deal to have Marvel help to refocus their Spiderverse nothing is going to change, and certainly isn't resulting in Disney/Marvel taking back full rights to the Spider-Man family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom