• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

brodie999

Disney might announce they have regained the rights to Spider-Man in a agreement with Sony at D23.

Last edited:

WizardofDestiny123

Disney might announce they have regained the rights to Spider-Man in a agreement with Sony at D23.

That seems a bit of a stretch. I do not doubt that Disney will negotiate such an arrangement at some point, even if it's not complete ownership (i.e. rights sharing). But I feel like something would have leaked to the press by now. If it hasn't, well...then that's quite a showstopper.

matt78

That seems a bit of a stretch. I do not doubt that Disney will negotiate such an arrangement at some point, even if it's not complete ownership (i.e. rights sharing). But I feel like something would have leaked to the press by now. If it hasn't, well...then that's quite a showstopper.
I agree. If anything, I think they might have expanded their current deal to include Sony's expanded Spider-Verse movies. I can't imagine that Disney/Marvel wants Sony making any more Morbius quality movies.

If Disney ever does buy back Spider-Man I wonder if they would expand the deal to include Sony's other Marvel property Men in Black.

WizardofDestiny123

I agree. If anything, I think they might have expanded their current deal to include Sony's expanded Spider-Verse movies. I can't imagine that Disney/Marvel wants Sony making any more Morbius quality movies.

If Disney ever does buy back Spider-Man I wonder if they would expand the deal to include Sony's other Marvel property Men in Black.
No more Morbin' time?

But in all seriousness, that movie is the dullest comic book film since 2005's Elektra movie.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

As I mentioned in the other thread, not likely to happen. The banners were for the Spider-Man 60th anniversary panel not some announcement.

At this point except for maybe Sony expanding the deal to have Marvel help to refocus their Spiderverse nothing is going to change, and certainly isn't resulting in Disney/Marvel taking back full rights to the Spider-Man family.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
…and 5 years ago Iger was praised all day for buying up studios…it was all our “magical” way to find El Dorado…together.

Speculation was rampant on “what’s next?” With gushing praise.

things change.
Even Warner Bros. Discovery has a bigger problems now in next years so Disney is gonna do something for buying WB-Discovery or other studios in the future now....

WizardofDestiny123

Disney needs to clear up some of the debt from COVID and the Fox deal before they start throwing out several billion dollars for other companies.

The most I can see, as I've reiterated ad nauseam, are purchases of the Spider-Man film rights and Paramount's half of Titanic and the first four Indiana Jones movies.

Why does Disney need to purchase a random film or television IP at this point that doesn't fulfill a niche that they don't have filled out already?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
…and 5 years ago Iger was praised all day for buying up studios…it was all our “magical” way to find El Dorado…together.

Speculation was rampant on “what’s next?” With gushing praise.

things change.
That was sooooo last CEO.....

Since 2019, after 21CF, a bunch of us here have been saying that Disney isn't likely to go shopping for awhile. They need to digest what they have been acquiring over the last decade. So unless it was a smaller target to bolster their current platform they ain't hungry for now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Even Warner Bros. Discovery has a bigger problems now in next years so Disney is gonna do something for buying WB-Discovery or other studios in the future now....
Disney is not buying WB-Discovery.

WB-Discovery is out of play until at least 2024. And the way Zalav is going there might not be anything worth buying in 2024 anyways. Comcast is still the most likely place for WB-Discovery if anyone is buy it, but again nothing is happening until mid-2024.

WizardofDestiny123

That was sooooo last CEO.....

Since 2019, after 21CF, a bunch of us here have been saying that Disney isn't likely to go shopping for awhile. They need to digest what they have been acquiring over the last decade. So unless it was a smaller target to bolster their current platform they ain't hungry for now.
The most likely acquisitions are smaller-scale things, namely the Spider-Man film rights or the distribution rights to the first four Indiana Jones movies, as well as Paramount's half of Titanic. Maybe Bluey, I don't know. Something that fills a niche, but nothing like the deals Iger made.

Chapek doesn't have the industry clout to get a big deal like Pixar through anyways. Say what you want about Iger, but not too many people could have gotten Steve Jobs to come back to the negotiating table like he did.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The most likely acquisitions are smaller-scale things, namely the Spider-Man film rights or the distribution rights to the first four Indiana Jones movies, as well as Paramount's half of Titanic. Maybe Bluey, I don't know. Something that fills a niche, but nothing like the deals Iger made.

Chapek doesn't have the industry clout to get a big deal like Pixar through anyways. Say what you want about Iger, but not too many people could have gotten Steve Jobs to come back to the negotiating table like he did.
Sony ain't giving up Spider-Man without Disney buying all of SPE, just not likely gonna happen. Plus even if somehow they convinced Yoshida and the rest of Sony Corp to give up Spider-Man it ain't gonna be cheap.

But I don't see Disney trying to make any other deal for a few years at least. Think after the 2024 buyout of Hulu.

WizardofDestiny123

Sony ain't giving up Spider-Man without Disney buying all of SPE, just not likely gonna happen. Plus even if somehow they convinced Yoshida and the rest of Sony Corp to give up Spider-Man it ain't gonna be cheap.

But I don't see Disney trying to make any other deal for a few years at least. Think after the 2024 buyout of Hulu.
Alright, then the first four Indy films from Paramount.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Alright, then the first four Indy films from Paramount.
Why do they need them? Its not like Disney can't use Indy or is missing something by not having them.

Other than streaming rights they don't need them. And I imagine a deal can be worked out with Paramount for Indy streaming rights just like they've done for the early Marvel films, just in time for Indy 5 to be released.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom