Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

BrianLo

Comcast would make the most sense. Potter sharing for the parks and distribution. They would keep all that coin right off the bat. Partnership has already been good with co-productions in film including Twister coming up. Resurgence in Oz interest would be great timing as well.
Then Universal gets coin from Six Flags/Cedar Fair parks selling the merch. Expands the horror library which after Universal WB arguably has the best.

That also gives Comcast the WB Tunes. That would be wild considering what IOA was supposed to include before it was IOA. Universal may release better product there.

I agree, organically it makes the most sense. The parks already lean heavily on WB, it gives Comcast a superhero outlet. It gives peacock an actual destination to wrap into Max subscribers and a streaming platform that seems like it will survive in some combined form. It also gives Comcast access to a general entertainment prestige label (HBO) that they don’t really have right now. They do have a good lock on family entertainment with Dreamworks and illumination.

If only there was a Time Machine. Comcast should have never bid up Disney and chased after Sky. They’d be in a much stronger financial footing to take advantage of the fire sale going on with the other studios. It was those decisions I think that are preventing this from occurring.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I agree, organically it makes the most sense. The parks already lean heavily on WB, it gives Comcast a superhero outlet. It gives peacock an actual destination to wrap into Max subscribers and a streaming platform that seems like it will survive in some combined form. It also gives Comcast access to a general entertainment prestige label (HBO) that they don’t really have right now. They do have a good lock on family entertainment with Dreamworks and illumination.

If only there was a Time Machine. Comcast should have never bid up Disney and chased after Sky. They’d be in a much stronger financial footing to take advantage of the fire sale going on with the other studios. It was those decisions I think that are preventing this from occurring.
Well, WBD's worth is now about $21B.

Comcast just got $9B from selling their portion of Hulu. And they have about $6B cash on hand. So, they only need to scrap together another $6B to buy WBD.

Sure, it'll make things tight for awhile as they dedicate net income to paying down the debt. All they need do is, after Epic Universe, put a hold on new attractions in their parks for about 3-4 years.

It's not like ""fans"" of the parks will freak out over no new builds for a few years and turn on Comcast/Universal and be hypercritical of every little thing that USO does in vengeful spite for how they've been wronged by the lack of new attractions. I mean, a reaction like that would never happen!

BrianLo

Well, WBD's worth is now about $21B.

Comcast just got $9B from selling their portion of Hulu. And they have about $6B cash on hand. So, they only need to scrap together another $6B to buy WBD.

Sure, it'll make things tight for awhile as they dedicate net income to paying down the debt. All they need do is, after Epic Universe, put a hold on new attractions in their parks for about 3-4 years.

It's not like ""fans"" of the parks will freak out over no new builds for a few years and turn on Comcast/Universal and be hypercritical of every little thing that USO does in vengeful spite for how they've been wronged by the lack of new attractions. I mean, a reaction like that would never happen!

WB-Discovery also comes with 45 billion of their own debt. In practicality it’s a near 70 billion acquisition. I think that’s the even bigger factor, Comcast really can’t sit on 150 billion of debt. You’d need a company flush with cash that could absorb it. Disney is also out obviously, though I really don’t think they’d be interested in WB now. Too little synergy.

celluloid

WB was only one part of the strategy, but imagine it will be interesting for Cedar and Six flags merging now if the new WB ownership changes things.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
WB was only one part of the strategy, but imagine it will be interesting for Cedar and Six flags merging now if the new WB ownership changes things.
I don't know the specifics of the WB/Six Flags contract, but not sure why that would make a difference as any licensing deal would likely remain in-place post merger of WB/Comcast, if it were to happen. As it would make no sense to break it as its revenue generated yearly. Something that would be needed post merger of WB/Comcast with the huge debt load they would have.

Unless you're saying that Comcast would also then buy CedarFair/Six Flags post-WB merger, which makes no sense at all.

celluloid

I don't know the specifics of the WB/Six Flags contract, but not sure why that would make a difference as any licensing deal would likely remain in-place post merger of WB/Comcast, if it were to happen. As it would make no sense to break it as its revenue generated yearly. Something that would be needed post merger of WB/Comcast with the huge debt load they would have.

Unless you're saying that Comcast would also then buy CedarFair/Six Flags post-WB merger, which makes no sense at all.

It would by far hurt their texas park competition, which Universal is building in. It depends on how good that deal for WB in Six Flags has been.

Six Flags is about to put WB everywhere. The theme park world is a small slice, but it would make such a big impact for them to suddenly not be able to use them anymore. There is no Mississippi like Marvel law likely in the works for that. California and texas would benefit greatly from being able to use all WB they want (Tunes and DC characters big parts of that)

No, not alluding to comcast purchasing any park already in existence in the states.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It would by far hurt their texas park competition, which Universal is building in. It depends on how good that deal for WB in Six Flags has been.

Six Flags is about to put WB everywhere. The theme park world is a small slice, but it would make such a big impact for them to suddenly not be able to use them anymore. There is no Mississippi like Marvel law likely in the works for that. California and texas would benefit greatly from being able to use all WB they want (Tunes and DC characters big parts of that)

No, not alluding to comcast purchasing any park already in existence in the states.
I don't know the exact terms of the deal between WB and Six Flags but I do know its exclusive. And rumors had the deal being in-place until 2053 or some absurd far off date. So if the rumor is true that deal, just like the Marvel/Uni deal, isn't going anywhere until both parties want it to be over.

Also why would Comcast basically give up free money, which they will need if they buy WBD. They don't need to use the DC/Looney characters in their parks. They got access to PLENTY of other IP they can use.

celluloid

I don't know the exact terms of the deal between WB and Six Flags but I do know its exclusive. And rumors had the deal being in-place until 2053 or some absurd far off date. So if the rumor is true that deal, just like the Marvel/Uni deal, isn't going anywhere until both parties want it to be over.

Also why would Comcast basically give up free money, which they will need if they buy WBD. They don't need to use the DC/Looney characters in their parks. They got access to PLENTY of other IP they can use.

Perhaps.
Also, WB tunes and DC properties not exclusive to Six Flags.

celluloid

Uni has had some stinkers, but when have they ever gone more than a few years without getting no new attractions or rethemes or new builds from either of their theme parks parks in Orlando?

celluloid

Who else in the US beside Six Flags has the theme park rights to Looney Toons and DC?

Well now you are specifying US. It is Tunes* by the way.
There are still other themed entertainment ventures out there for sure getting coin to WB not Six Flags.

And even then...
1709603128597.png

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well now you are specifying US.
There are still other themed entertainment ventures out there for sure getting coin to WB not Six Flags.

And even then...
View attachment 771513
We’ve been talking about the Six Flags/WB theme park contract which is based in the US, so don’t know why I would have to specify the US. But it is exclusive in the US, I believe there is a SEC filing on it, even if other themed entities can use DC and Looney Tunes properties outside the US.

Also the Legoland contract is separate as it’s part of the film rights when the Lego Batman movie was done.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom