Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Would that see them totally loose ESPN to Comcast for the remaining 33% share of Hulu and $20 billion or so in cash? Hmmmm
I hope so
Don't see that happening, ESPN is part of Iger's streaming plans long term as it gets moved to a standalone service.
ESPN has been leaking oil for 14 years…newsflash

And the cost of sports contracts is escalating at a ridiculous rate

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I hope so

ESPN has been leaking oil for 14 years…newsflash

And the cost of sports contracts is escalating at a ridiculous rate
There is no chance of ESPN being let go any time soon. Again its a major part of their streaming strategy, the plan is to spin off the channels from linear to its own standalone service.

Maybe the next CEO will have a different opinion but for now it remains.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You know what I find surprising is that TWDC is not on the top 100 list for ESG. This could affect access to capital.

Unless I am looking at the wrong list.
Its not a factor I track, so can't say if you're looking at the wrong lists or not.

But I wouldn't put that as a factor that could affect access to capital as their debt-to-equity is under 50%.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is no chance of ESPN being let go any time soon. Again its a major part of their streaming strategy, the plan is to spin off the channels from linear to its own standalone service.

Maybe the next CEO will have a different opinion but for now it remains.
The 2020 strategy isn’t matching with the 2023 receipts

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It might be unlikely to happen but it would make the most sense of Disney with any acquisition at this point, at least in terms of major ones. It's not expanding them into a new space, nor is it too much of a risk.

And the reason why I said content catalog only is because of a potential government issue - even though I think with a democrat in office, it is something more likely to happen than Trump or especially DeSantis. I think the antitrust issue is overblown anyway, as WB is not one of the big three in the US and any merger is unlikely to forestall in international markets unlike a deal for parts of Sony or other potential dealings. Even then, I don't think Disney would keep the linear TV networks, because they really have no use for them. Most of the reality based networks simply don't fit in with the current Disney catalog, cartoon network directly competes, and CNN is something I don't think Disney would want to own with a 30-foot pole worth of separation... Unlike that, the content catalog, especially in a theoretical Max merger, is something useful for Disney.

Given Disney is nowhere close to using what they already have, as you noted, but much of the fox catalog is not exactly what you would call Disney spec, particularly a lot of their live action content that I would love to see on D+ or Hulu someday but we never will.

I'd love to see a deal for OLC, just for their folks to be able to take over park management domestically, but if it didn't happen during the pandemic it's not going to happen for a number of years, if ever.
It would be pretty hard to separate out the old content from the rest of WB assets, especially with recent write-offs on the same said content by Zaslav. So I just don't see that happening, it'll be an all or nothing if WB is sold again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Right…all profit ahead.

You want some “magic” beans?
What I find funny is that no one is suggesting that Comcast get rid of their sports network.

Anyways, no matter what your opinion is on the matter this is Disney's current plan. We'll see how it turns out, but my bet is on streaming long term.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I find funny is that no one is suggesting that Comcast get rid of their sports network.

Anyways, no matter what your opinion is on the matter this is Disney's current plan. We'll see how it turns out, but my bet is on streaming long term.
I’m not anti sports business

Hell…I saw it day to day when it was booming in college…on the rise

I just don’t believe it’s Disneys best play. They’ve made their bank off it and now it’s time to move on.

Comcast is still better suited for sports delivery because they are still in delivery

And I know…you and Pengs are the last to believe bobs 2018 D+ speech. Sky’s the limit. And also: Disney can’t lie 🤪🤪

let’s see where the model lands? They’re starting to lose subscribers and want to Jack the price of a bundled, ad revenue engine.

I mean…I guess it COULD work? 🤔

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m not anti sports business

Hell…I saw it day to day when it was booming in college…on the rise

I just don’t believe it’s Disneys best play. They’ve made their bank off it and now it’s time to move on.

Comcast is still better suited for sports delivery because they are still in delivery

And I know…you and Pengs are the last to believe bobs 2018 D+ speech. Sky’s the limit. And also: Disney can’t lie 🤪🤪

let’s see where the model lands? They’re starting to lose subscribers and want to Jack the price of a bundled, ad revenue engine.

I mean…I guess it COULD work? 🤔
Linear is a dying business, that has been known for a long time. Even Comcast will be getting out of their traditional cable delivery business in the long term by offering an OTT streaming replacement. They are losing customers quarterly so its no wonder they also are moving in this direction.

So its not about Disney lying or not, this is the media landscape moving forward. Things will shake out, streaming services will merge, but streaming is the long term play for content delivery.

brodie999

100%. No chance they leave ESPN when they spent so much time at the last investor's call talking about how it fits in, and especially as Disney somewhat accelerates their investment into high value sports content worldwide.

If I had my choice for what I'd like Disney to buy out next - WB's content catalogue. Ignores the issues with their domestic networks mostly being basket cases (from CNN to Cartoon Network), and their international sports channels (except in the UK which they could reasonably add on BT Sports to the deal if interested) likely being a no-go post-Fox. Would give them a whole bunch of content they probably still want since they missed their chance in 2015. DC would be a hugh get. Potter's film rights as well. Arguably the sleeper hit would be establishing control over legacy children's animation - but it's likely a pipe dream sadly.
I agree. That might only be a matter of time. Even if Comcast wanted to bid for WB, Disney would only outbid them again because they have much more money and resources than Comcast and the conspiracy that Disney sent James Gunn to destroy WB, so that they can buy them is actually feeling less crazy by the day. https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/23/23770538/warner-bros-discovery-music-ip-sale

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree. That might only be a matter of time. Even if Comcast wanted to bid for WB, Disney would only outbid them again because they have much more money and resources than Comcast and the conspiracy that Disney sent James Gunn to destroy WB, so that they can buy them is actually feeling less crazy by the day. https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/23/23770538/warner-bros-discovery-music-ip-sale
I wish this idea would just die, Disney is not bidding for WBD. The story you posted is about WDB selling music only, nothing else, and Sony Music is the expected buyer not Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Iger is apparently being pushed to buy a large game developer (like EA) but I just can’t see them committing another such big investment after the Fox deal.

Also, they must still be making decent returns on just licensing?

Disney had a game division and shuttered it, so not sure why they'd want to get back into it. But if they did go for someone large like EA would they continue the non-Disney games or turn them all into Disney branded games?

Disstevefan1

Iger is apparently being pushed to buy a large game developer (like EA) but I just can’t see them committing another such big investment after the Fox deal.

Also, they must still be making decent returns on just licensing?

OH NO! More money wasted!!!

Oh well it doesn't matter. Look how much money TWDC throws away on money losing movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom