Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
…and 5 years ago Iger was praised all day for buying up studios…it was all our “magical” way to find El Dorado…together.

Speculation was rampant on “what’s next?” With gushing praise.

things change.
Even Warner Bros. Discovery has a bigger problems now in next years so Disney is gonna do something for buying WB-Discovery or other studios in the future now....

WizardofDestiny123

Disney needs to clear up some of the debt from COVID and the Fox deal before they start throwing out several billion dollars for other companies.

The most I can see, as I've reiterated ad nauseam, are purchases of the Spider-Man film rights and Paramount's half of Titanic and the first four Indiana Jones movies.

Why does Disney need to purchase a random film or television IP at this point that doesn't fulfill a niche that they don't have filled out already?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
…and 5 years ago Iger was praised all day for buying up studios…it was all our “magical” way to find El Dorado…together.

Speculation was rampant on “what’s next?” With gushing praise.

things change.
That was sooooo last CEO.....

Since 2019, after 21CF, a bunch of us here have been saying that Disney isn't likely to go shopping for awhile. They need to digest what they have been acquiring over the last decade. So unless it was a smaller target to bolster their current platform they ain't hungry for now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Even Warner Bros. Discovery has a bigger problems now in next years so Disney is gonna do something for buying WB-Discovery or other studios in the future now....
Disney is not buying WB-Discovery.

WB-Discovery is out of play until at least 2024. And the way Zalav is going there might not be anything worth buying in 2024 anyways. Comcast is still the most likely place for WB-Discovery if anyone is buy it, but again nothing is happening until mid-2024.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The most likely acquisitions are smaller-scale things, namely the Spider-Man film rights or the distribution rights to the first four Indiana Jones movies, as well as Paramount's half of Titanic. Maybe Bluey, I don't know. Something that fills a niche, but nothing like the deals Iger made.

Chapek doesn't have the industry clout to get a big deal like Pixar through anyways. Say what you want about Iger, but not too many people could have gotten Steve Jobs to come back to the negotiating table like he did.
Sony ain't giving up Spider-Man without Disney buying all of SPE, just not likely gonna happen. Plus even if somehow they convinced Yoshida and the rest of Sony Corp to give up Spider-Man it ain't gonna be cheap.

But I don't see Disney trying to make any other deal for a few years at least. Think after the 2024 buyout of Hulu.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Alright, then the first four Indy films from Paramount.
Why do they need them? Its not like Disney can't use Indy or is missing something by not having them.

Other than streaming rights they don't need them. And I imagine a deal can be worked out with Paramount for Indy streaming rights just like they've done for the early Marvel films, just in time for Indy 5 to be released.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I could see them making a deal effectively sharing the streaming rights to Indy. Any new film will be on Disney and Paramount+ while the first four films are on both as well.
Disney already purchased the production and distribution rights for any future Indy movie back in 2013. So Indy 5 is 100% under Disney now including streaming rights.

Again they don't need the first four films.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Disney needs to clear up some of the debt from COVID and the Fox deal before they start throwing out several billion dollars for other companies.
And Hulu.

The most I can see, as I've reiterated ad nauseam, are purchases of the Spider-Man film rights and Paramount's half of Titanic and the first four Indiana Jones movies.

Why does Disney need to purchase a random film or television IP at this point that doesn't fulfill a niche that they don't have filled out already?
Yep.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Disney is not buying WB-Discovery.

WB-Discovery is out of play until at least 2024. And the way Zalav is going there might not be anything worth buying in 2024 anyways. Comcast is still the most likely place for WB-Discovery if anyone is buy it, but again nothing is happening until mid-2024.
I can see Disney buys some of Sony Pictures IPs like Columbia Pictures and Tristar Pictures.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I can see Disney buys some of Sony Pictures IPs like Columbia Pictures and Tristar Pictures.
If Sony Corp is selling Sony Pictures its going to be selling the whole unit, not just pieces.

And as pointed out in the article reference Disney is not shopping for any other studio purchases, including pieces of studios, any time soon.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Disney would also have to sell 20th Century Studios (along with Searchlight Pictures and 20th Television) in order to make that deal. At least they could give said units to Sony.
Sounds like Comcast is looking at buying Warner bros discovery
I doubt David Zaslav, Jeff Shell, or Brian Roberts are looking into that. They’re just bad rumors. I've read news articles.

brodie999

Disney would also have to sell 20th Century Studios (along with Searchlight Pictures and 20th Television) in order to make that deal. At least they could give said units to Sony.

I doubt David Zaslav, Jeff Shell, or Brian Roberts are looking into that. They’re just bad rumors. I've read news articles.
Yeah, not to mention that CNN was shown on a TV screen in Black Panther 2. That's owned by WB. I was expecting them to show ABC News, not CNN. It's like Disney's trying to hint at buying WB.

Indy_UK

Definitely think Disney will eventually buy the sole rights to Dr Who. They have the TV rights now internationally from the UK and are investing heavily into the show.

Also the BBC aren’t exactly flush with cash and I can see them seeking to Disney then just retaining the UK TV rights

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom