News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Incomudro

I've only been going to WDW for about 10 years and it's jaw dropping how "stripped down" the customer experience has gotten in that short amount of time.

My first time going (2009 I think) I stayed at the Contemporary in a non-club level room and was cheerfully greeted by a "welcome" greeter when I got off the bus and guided to the front desk, given an actual, customized welcome pack with my itinerary information in a keepsake folder, had a box of chocolates in a chocolate box to greet me in my room, had turn down service every night with a memento card and more chocolates with the Contemporary logo on them. Got a welcome call from Mickey and Minnie too! Maid service twice a day, etc; It was overpriced then but I felt extremely pampered.

Now? I'm lucky if I see any employees at the resort at ALL. Turn down service is long gone. Chocolates (if you get them at all) are now mass branded Godiva squares generic park wide -as is the itinerary packet (which now seems to be a thing of the past as well) and the prices have TRIPLED!

This isn't just Disney - I'm seeing this across the hospitality industry as the bean counters tighten their grip - but you'd think Disney would LEAD in a different direction.

I wish what you said isn't true, but it is.
Disney is decontenting the small things that made it so special.
A little bit here, a little bit there... A big piece over there.
I still love it, and it's still Disney to me - but there may be a tipping point some time in the future where it isn't.

Hotamber

The reason WDW gave you a free ride into their bubble is because people without cars used to spend more money at WDW. Disney paid Mears a price for each person that rode DME because before Uber/Left, Amazon etc those people would only buy food and supplies at WDW. It was worth the cost as the amount DME riders would spend at WDW would cover the Mears cost but that has changed in the last few years as guests take Uber and order Amazon Prime. WDW actually has to spend more on labor and infrastructure like new entances with rideshare zones, bigger mail rooms, more freezors etc to deal with the rideshares and extra deliveries

Last edited:

peter11435

The reason WDW gave you a free ride into their bubble is because people without cars used to spend more money at WDW. Disney paid Mears a price for each person that rode DME because before Uber/Left, Amazon etc those people would only buy food and supplies at WDW. It was worth the cost as the amount DME riders would spend at WDW would cover the Mears cost but that has changed in the last few years as guests take Uber and order Amazon Prime. WDW actually has to spend more on labor and infrastructure like new entances with rideshare zones, bigger mail rooms, more freezors etc to deal with the rideshares and extra deliveries
Exactly. Mears offered this service before DME. Guests paid for the service. In the early 2000’s Disney decided it was financially beneficial for them to avoid guests having access to rental cars. So essentially Disney started paying mears for the service instead of having the guests do so. This came along with Disney branding but the operation was always run by Mears with Disney simply footing the bill. But it was never about providing a guest benefit or making a Disney vacation easier. It was always about what was best for Disney. Now the dynamics in the market have shifted and it is no longer beneficial. So now Mears will continue to offer the service but Disney will no longer foot the bill. The Disney branding disappears and the guests will once again pay for the service.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Exactly. Mears offered this service before DME. Guests paid for the service. In the early 2000’s Disney decided it was financially beneficial for them to avoid guests having access to rental cars. So essentially Disney started paying mears for the service instead of having the guests do so. This came along with Disney branding but the operation was always run by Mears with Disney simply footing the bill. But it was never about providing a guest benefit or making a Disney vacation easier. It was always about what was best for Disney. Now the dynamics in the market have shifted and it is no longer beneficial. So now Mears will continue to offer the service but Disney will no longer foot the bill. The Disney branding disappears and the guests will once again pay for the service.
Did or Does Mears offer service to Universal?

runnsally

Well said. And it is not as if everyone will rent a car come January 2021. A certain percentage will move to rentals (and pay for parking), but the majority will still do Mears or rideshare (or whatever new up charge WDW roles out), so close to the status quo for Disney and they don’t have to pay for it.

Movielover

Pardon for me having to ask but did Mears offer the luggage pickup pre DME as well? Or was it "you get your luggage from the baggage claim then go to the bus stop"?

Mr. Moderate

Pardon for me having to ask but did Mears offer the luggage pickup pre DME as well? Or was it "you get your luggage from the baggage claim then go to the bus stop"?
No, you retrieved your luggage and went to the location of where your shuttle/bus was. My first family trip was in 2002 and that was how Mears did it back then. I remember the bus was similar to what M.E uses now size wise, but was bright yellow. Nothing fancy, service was slow, and I decided to use a limo service ever since.

Movielover

No, you retrieved your luggage and went to the location of where your shuttle/bus was. My first family trip was in 2002 and that was how Mears did it back then. I remember the bus was similar to what M.E uses now size wise, but was bright yellow. Nothing fancy, service was slow, and I decided to use a limo service ever since.
Thank You, Due to circumstances I never used the service pre DME and only used DME accouple times. The biggest attraction to me was the baggage aspect which was nice. I'm totally fine getting a Lyft or other means now.

Mr. Moderate

I agree with what you said, but I still think from a business stand point and public relations, it was a dumb move on Disney's part to end Magical Express. They still were able to keep most of their guests trapped on property inside their bubble, especially the first timers who didn't want to rent a car in a city they never been to or deal with the hassle of it or the uncertainty of ride share. I think most families, with the exception of the wait times, enjoyed M.E for its theming and the exciting first moments of the start of their vacation. A plain Mears shuttle van packed full of other guests like a cattle car, just didn't convey that same message. That's just my opinion.

GCTales

Mears never handled the luggage for DME. It was performed by a company called Bags Inc, who contracted the service with Disney.

They no longer have a contract with Disney, which is why the service went away.

Of all the services, the baggage handling and airport check in at the resort are the two I will miss the most.

voodoo321

I wish what you said isn't true, but it is.
Disney is decontenting the small things that made it so special.
A little bit here, a little bit there... A big piece over there.
I still love it, and it's still Disney to me - but there may be a tipping point some time in the future where it isn't.
I reached that tipping point awhile ago yet, in a form of denial, I kept going. Not anymore for me but I made that decision before hearing of DME going away. The cost/value ratio has skewed in the wrong direction and more importantly the magic of the place has long gone.

Incomudro

I agree with what you said, but I still think from a business stand point and public relations, it was a dumb move on Disney's part to end Magical Express. They still were able to keep most of their guests trapped on property inside their bubble, especially the first timers who didn't want to rent a car in a city they never been to or deal with the hassle of it or the uncertainty of ride share. I think most families, with the exception of the wait times, enjoyed M.E for its theming and the exciting first moments of the start of their vacation. A plain Mears shuttle van packed full of other guests like a cattle car, just didn't convey that same message. That's just my opinion.
100%.
We used Magic Express for all of our past six trips.
All the trips my son's from ages six to fourteen.
Magic Express was part of the bubble.
That feeling that Mickey was carrying you in his gloved hand to and from the airports.
It was nice to be a part of the themeing that entire time, and I will miss it.

Dan Deesnee

The removal of this service, if they don't get your luggage to your room or at least the hotel and if it's expensive, will most definitely tip people over to NOT going.

I am in my 30s and we are the Disney nuts in our large group of friends. Many of them went on their trips in large part because of MEexpress. I don't think people without kids or who haven't had young ones in a long time realize how amazing it is to not only NOT have to go to the carousel and drag your luggage all the way to Disney, but also NOT have to worry about car seats.

It made trips VERY easy on families. Time will tell if it will still be easy but getting people to fork out huge sums of cash for the overall trip and make them figure out how to get to Disney once they land is going to make a lot of people just say "forget it". They may go once "just because" but far fewer people will fall in love with the experience and become die hards.

The removal of MExpress will have far reaching ramifications decades into the future. Less die hards, less DVC members, less annual passholders, less visitors.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

don't think people without kids or who haven't had young ones in a long time realize how amazing it is to not only NOT have to go to the carousel and drag your luggage all the way to Disney, but also NOT have to worry about car seats.

Right, when you are schlepping luggage for 3 or 4 with all the stuff a small child needs plus a stroller, being able to check a bag or two and have it show up in your hotel room is amazing. As my daughter got older and outgrew needing a stroller/could pull her own luggage, we pretty much have just gone with carry-ons, but those early years it was a "magical" service.

biggy H

In the grand scheme of things he number of people using ME compared to getting there by other means was probably not that much and in the end won't make that much difference to guest numbers. Any future guests who hadn't used ME in the past will not even be bothered by it not operating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom