News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

SteveBrickNJ

You really are wondering why just because it’s not in the contract? Because it’s an Important part of getting to and from the resorts for out of state guests like myself. You would think a company like Disney would take care of it for people who are locked into vacationing there and spent tens of thousands to do so, are paying the yearly maintenance fees. It was also highly touted by the DVC representatives when selling it to us as a reason to pick it over other timeshares.
The last sentence of this post is an important point.

Wendy Pleakley

You really are wondering why just because it’s not in the contract? Because it’s an Important part of getting to and from the resorts for out of state guests like myself. You would think a company like Disney would take care of it for people who are locked into vacationing there and spent tens of thousands to do so, are paying the yearly maintenance fees. It was also highly touted by the DVC representatives when selling it to us as a reason to pick it over other timeshares.

The trouble with locking yourself into DVC is that Disney has zero incentive to provide you with transportation or other benefits.

They already have your money. You have zero leverage.

nickys

Premium Member
Surely the reason for picking DVC over other timeshares is to stay on site at WDW. Anything else is a bonus; benefits and perks are not guaranteed.

I don’t buy the “locked in to vacationing there” argument either. You can rent your pounts out and use the cash to go elsewhere. We try and come every 3-4 years, and take staycations the other years.

MrMichaelJames

So what are those of us going to do with little kids? There are 4 of us in total, 2 bags a piece for those extra long disney stay + carry-ons. Our last trip we had 8 checked bags and 4 carry-ons because we did a really long disney stay followed by a disney cruise so we had a lot of stuff to check. No way that is all going to get in a lyft or uber. So our only real option is to rent a really large SUV, pay a ton for it, pay for parking and continue to pay for the rental but just park the car wasting money cause we aren't using it but we don't have any other choice. AND then we'll also need to bring with us car seats OR pay to rent those as well. Disney isn't for families anymore? Nothing was said in the new article about price or how luggage will be handled. Have any of you tried to get a ton of luggage to or from a hotel room by yourself? It's is quite difficult with little kids. With Magical Express this was all handled for us and well worth staying on property. Now...well they are making it easy for me to reconsider considering the price of 4 people to stay in a disney themed resort.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
As noted before, we didn't use the Magical Express - We always rent a car, I am however going to miss the Airline check in on the way home.

For those who rent a car: $$$
For those who don't rent a car: Transportation from the Airport $$$

Say what you want they know how to get your coin.

I am a d*mb a$$. I do all this complaining and I keep going and going, knowing full well there's only one way to combat this.

Last edited:

doctornick

So what are those of us going to do with little kids? There are 4 of us in total, 2 bags a piece for those extra long disney stay + carry-ons. Our last trip we had 8 checked bags and 4 carry-ons because we did a really long disney stay followed by a disney cruise so we had a lot of stuff to check. No way that is all going to get in a lyft or uber. So our only real option is to rent a really large SUV, pay a ton for it, pay for parking and continue to pay for the rental but just park the car wasting money cause we aren't using it but we don't have any other choice. AND then we'll also need to bring with us car seats OR pay to rent those as well. Disney isn't for families anymore? Nothing was said in the new article about price or how luggage will be handled. Have any of you tried to get a ton of luggage to or from a hotel room by yourself? It's is quite difficult with little kids. With Magical Express this was all handled for us and well worth staying on property. Now...well they are making it easy for me to reconsider considering the price of 4 people to stay in a disney themed resort.

There are plenty of companies that have private vans for the airport to Disney. They will even have car seats if requested. You can reserve that ahead of time and they will typically meet you at the baggage carousel and help take your luggage to the van. For a family, this would seem like the best option IMHO. Of course, the luggage service for DME was a big differentiator though that make that service awesome for families.

wedenterprises

For an even more premium experience, try installing two car seats in a stretch limo. I have and it’s magical.
lol. yes. That is a massive hurdle for me too. Lyft/Uber/towncars are out because of car seat(s). A massive headache for parents. It's Mears or bust. (also consider the cost/hassle of bringing car seats on the plane)

None of this makes any sense. We simply cannot make trips to WDW without DME or a fairly priced Mears.

There's a huge business opportunity right now - Install car seats in a bunch of vans and call it "Magic X-Press"

note2001

lol. yes. That is a massive hurdle for me too. Lyft/Uber/towncars are out because of car seat(s). A massive headache for parents. It's Mears or bust. (also consider the cost/hassle of bringing car seats on the plane)

None of this makes any sense. We simply cannot make trips to WDW without DME or a fairly priced Mears.

There's a huge business opportunity right now - Install car seats in a bunch of vans and call it "Magic X-Press"

I'm curious how you afford Disney as it is if dropping $200 for safe transport to/from your destination is out of reach.
Many of us here don't like that they're taking this away, but they've given us plenty of time to prepare. Just budget for it.

ImperfectPixie

Car seats can be checked for free with many airlines.

Wendy Pleakley

DME didn't exist prior to 2005. Disney was for families then and it will continue to be so now.

I don't love the loss of DME by any means, but people will do what they did before DME, and what they do in countless other vacation destinations. Determine the best way to get their destination on their own.

ImperfectPixie

DME didn't exist prior to 2005. Disney was for families then and it will continue to be so now.

I don't love the loss of DME by any means, but people will do what they did before DME, and what they do in countless other vacation destinations. Determine the best way to get their destination on their own.
It's a loss of one of the things that previously had set Disney apart from other destinations.

aliceismad

Is there no UberXL (and the Lyft equivalent) in Orlando? The last rideshare I rode in was a Cadillac Escalade.

I'm sure details will be released about the Mears shuttle service. It is a PITA to travel with a car seat and several bags, and I certainly hope they can figure out a baggage service option.

wedenterprises

Before central heating people figured out how to stay warm for centuries.

Disney's removing the genius miracle of central heating.

Wendy Pleakley

It's a loss of one of the things that previously had set Disney apart from other destinations.

For sure, and I believe I said long ago in one of these threads it makes it more likely I'll do a split stay (or more) with Universal.

I just think the dramatic "Disney isn't for families anymore" line is overused and not really accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom