News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

note2001

It's a little concerning how many people are scared to death to travel by any method other than something with Disney's brand name on it.

Many people who say they just want to take it easy on vacation and not drive, okay, I get that, but there are town cars, Lyfts, Ubers and the Mears cattle cars.

I understand the issue with special needs folk, or perhaps families of 10.

nickys

Premium Member
Were the park tickets part of the original contract verbiage? Or a sweetener at a certain point? They certainly did away with that.
They were an offer at the start, when OKW was first opened. Don’t know how long it ran for. Every now and then there’s a ticket offer, and of course there’s the discounted AP (well, actually the FL AP rate for a Gold Pass).

Patcheslee

Has anyone tried actually shipping their luggage instead? I've wondered how that might save us since we could make do with a smaller vehicle.
Also Brightline planned a train to Port package in the Miami area before covid hit. With their route, I could almost see the Cocoa turn becoming a transfer point people could use to Canaveral cruises.

runnsally

It's a little concerning how many people are scared to death to travel by any method other than something with Disney's brand name on it.

Many people who say they just want to take it easy on vacation and not drive, okay, I get that, but there are town cars, Lyfts, Ubers and the Mears cattle cars.

I fear car seats

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

"The Same Reliable, Safe, Express Service."

It doesn't matter what they do, it still won't be the same.
  • There will be a per person charge.
  • Mears (without Disney) is known for over-packing people onto vans with broken AC.
  • The Bags service will be nonexistent.
Without that Disney oversight they'll push what they can get away with to the limits.

I'll be very interested in hearing people's experiences. I'm sure at first the reviews will glow as Mears attempts to prove they've got this, and then they'll drop to "it's a cattle car" by summer.

Until that train comes around to try I'll just rent a vehicle or schedule a car to take us to/from. It's best to have a car for heading over to Universal anyway.
I have to agree with some of this. Without a partnership with BAGS INC, for luggage? My Family (just 2 of us), would simply reserve a MEARS cab :(. Do the luggage thing? We're all in :).

Skywise

The train station is not remotely an similar replacement. I honestly do not understand why people bring it up as anything in regards to DME.

The main value for Brightline in regards to WDW will be for people from (for example) Miami to get to WDW easier. Not a local option from the airport.
My bad - As it was going through the airport I had presumed the plan was to make it a commuter rail type system. Although in a way it IS as I bet Disney will use that for its cruise line connections.

HarperRose

I think this was expected, but the price of a trip to WDW just went up. Again. No doubt we'll see hotel and ticket price bump up again as well.
I have to wonder if Mears did this without communicating with Disney, like they did with ending DME without telling Mears, or if it was in advance of whatever Disney is planning to announce as the follow on solution?
Mears found out either shortly before it went public or when it went public. They found out the same day we did.

HarperRose

Is this pre-emptive to the rail line from the airport? But that's not set to be finished for several years yet. Maybe Disney cut the funding to Mears to setup the budget for that rail line?

Also - an Uber from the airport to the parks is about $50 (or used to be anyway) but I used to stay AT Disney because of Mears and then Uber to Universal... no reason not to flip that now.
Brightline is not a DME substitute.

HarperRose

So what are those of us going to do with little kids? There are 4 of us in total, 2 bags a piece for those extra long disney stay + carry-ons. Our last trip we had 8 checked bags and 4 carry-ons because we did a really long disney stay followed by a disney cruise so we had a lot of stuff to check. No way that is all going to get in a lyft or uber. So our only real option is to rent a really large SUV, pay a ton for it, pay for parking and continue to pay for the rental but just park the car wasting money cause we aren't using it but we don't have any other choice. AND then we'll also need to bring with us car seats OR pay to rent those as well. Disney isn't for families anymore? Nothing was said in the new article about price or how luggage will be handled. Have any of you tried to get a ton of luggage to or from a hotel room by yourself? It's is quite difficult with little kids. With Magical Express this was all handled for us and well worth staying on property. Now...well they are making it easy for me to reconsider considering the price of 4 people to stay in a disney themed resort.
The announcement said they'll provide luggage handling.

HarperRose

As noted before, we didn't use the Magical Express - We always rent a car, I am however what I am going to miss is the Airline check in on the way home.

For those who rent a car: $$$
For those who don't rent a car: Transportation from the Airport $$$

Say what you want they know how to get your coin.

I am a d*mb a$$. I do all this complaining and I keep going and going, knowing full well there's only one way to combat this.
Not only do you have to pay to rent a car, you have the additional nightly cost of parking at your resort, too.

HarperRose

I find it hard to believe that Mears will do anything beyond allowing luggage on the buses, their version of luggage handling.
Travelers who use the service will be transported in “high occupancy vehicles,” which will likely be similar to the buses used for Magical Express. The amenities will be similar as well.

“Guests can expect scheduled service, luggage handling, convenient airport terminal staging, and return trips to the airport,” Mears said in a news release.

You can google Mears Connect and find the exact same information.

note2001

Travelers who use the service will be transported in “high occupancy vehicles,” which will likely be similar to the buses used for Magical Express. The amenities will be similar as well.

“Guests can expect scheduled service, luggage handling, convenient airport terminal staging, and return trips to the airport,” Mears said in a news release.

You can google Mears Connect and find the exact same information.
Yeah, I'm so willing to bet that's not the same thing as what you'd like to think at all.
Have fun.

SteveAZee

They were an offer at the start, when OKW was first opened. Don’t know how long it ran for. Every now and then there’s a ticket offer, and of course there’s the discounted AP (well, actually the FL AP rate for a Gold Pass).
I bought in around 1992/1993. DVC said they would provide park tickets until 2000, plus or minus.

JoeCamel

Yeah, I'm so willing to bet that's not the same thing as what you'd like to think at all.
Have fun.
Sounds like Mears has read the room and understands what replacement service will fill the bill. If that means door to door luggage remains to be seen but they do understand what is expected.
Now for the cost...

flynnibus

Premium Member

Which means... They'll be happy to throw your bags in/out of the bus for you. That doesn't necessarily mean bag transfer services (nor room delivery).

MickeyLuv'r

I'm tempted to think the new Mears service will pretty much = DME, only it will be an add-on fee instead of being incorporated into the price everyone pays to stay onsite at WDW.

Mears has already paid for the buses, and the system was well established. What was confusing is that the buses were Disney branded, but not run by Disney. Now, since it is operated by Mears, it will now have the Mears name on it.

In other words, if there's a problem, people will blame/call Mears, instead of calling Disney.

Dan Deesnee

Oh, Uber drivers will get my luggage from the carousel and deliver it to my room?

I also don't need car seats in an Uber??

Ubers are just as safe as Magical Express at 11pm at night for me and my 3 young kids to take???

And Uber is free in Florida????

Nice! Guess I don't need Magical Express after all!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom