News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

2bornot2be

I suspect all the cuts are just short-term moves to save money and that they will then bring certain things back (as needed and if needed) to try to lure guests back to the parks when the pandemic is under control.

Sort of like a ride refurb. Take a beloved ride offline, do a light refurb, then market it as an entirely new attraction in hopes that it brings people to the parks.

They could even take the Disney Dining Plan approach and make a successor to DME (and other perks) paid services that they can then offer as included! seasonally or as-needed to generate resort bookings.
This is exactly what I'm thinking.

wutisgood

Disney is using "not my problem" plan. If the parks are slow it's certainly no not the executives' problem. You can deal with cut services, hours, and higher prices. If disney doesn't make enough money that way still not their problem. Some other executive can deal with it while they take a golden parachute out. All those years of huge profits and price increases while underinvesting in rides. Not their problem you kept coming.

Any services they bring back will be in the form of upcharges.

Tomi-Rocket

Although I don’t use ME, only once several years ago, I think this decision is a huge cost cutting mistake. And it is yet another change that flies in the face if the average consumer. Yes there are other alternatives, ones you have to PAY for, something that will now make some people/families have to rethink their vacations to Disney.

UNCgolf

Although I don’t use ME, only once several years ago, I think this decision is a huge cost cutting mistake. And it is yet another change that flies in the face if the average consumer. Yes there are other alternatives, ones you have to PAY for, something that will now make some people/families have to rethink their vacations to Disney.

I don't think it will cause very many people to forgo a Disney trip entirely, because while it will be an additional cost/hassle, it's relatively minor compared to the overall cost of a Disney vacation. I do think it could lead to more people staying off-site rather than at a Disney resort, though. If you're going to have to pay for a ride from the airport/handle your own luggage anyways, some people are going to be more willing to look off-site and save hundreds of dollars by staying at a non-Disney resort.

It doesn't necessarily make sense from a cost standpoint -- you would have still saved money by staying non-Disney even with DME -- but people often don't look at things in those terms. Get annoyed by the removal of a service they liked and are suddenly open to changing their old habits.

MaryJaneP

If I am repeating what has been debated in the foregoing 60 pages, please delete this post

When is WDW gonna start offering "EXCLUSIVE" transportation to/from the airport in specialized character vans for a "MINIMAL UPCHARGE"?

jsweatte

I emailed Disney Guest Services to let them know how disappointed I am in this decision and with the companies direction in general. What follows is their reply. Less is more...sort of Orwellian isn't it.
Thank you for your correspondence to the Walt Disney World Resort.

I truly appreciate the time you took to send in your feedback regarding the announcement of the removal of Disney's Magical Express Service. I have personally read your message so that I can reply to you. It’s obvious that you care a great deal about the Disney brand and reputation, and we deeply value the insight you shared and I am sorry to hear that your potential 2021 plans were altered as a result of this announcement.

As Walt Disney World continues to plan for the future, we will be evolving parts of our experience for Disney Resort hotel stays. A one-size-fits-all approach to airport transportation no longer meets the needs of our Guests today. Guests have far more options to choose from compared to when Disney’s Magical Express service was introduced more than 15 years ago. These options are becoming more popular for vacationers, providing more flexibility and saving time so they can better plan their day at their convenience. As with every other change we’ve made in our history, we will help Guests navigate through these next steps and will continue to deliver on what’s expected from a Disney experience. We will continue to honor Disney's Magical Express Service for Resort arrivals through the end of 2021.

Please know that we take the feedback from our Guests very seriously as we continue to evaluate our offerings and I have shared your thoughts with the appropriate Leadership Teams.

Once again, XXXX, thank you for taking the time to write. Your comments are invaluable, as we are constantly evaluating our operation and our success in generating happiness for our Guests. We do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the Walt Disney World Resort and that your visit will be pleasant in every respect.

Kindest regards,

Geoffrey Kiser
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort
407-934-7249

_caleb

I emailed Disney Guest Services to let them know how disappointed I am in this decision and with the companies direction in general. What follows is their reply. Less is more...sort of Orwellian isn't it.

I truly appreciate the time you took to send in your feedback regarding the announcement of the removal of Disney's Magical Express Service. I have personally read your message so that I can reply to you. It’s obvious that you care a great deal about the Disney brand and reputation, and we deeply value the insight you shared and I am sorry to hear that your potential 2021 plans were altered as a result of this announcement.

As Walt Disney World continues to plan for the future, we will be evolving parts of our experience for Disney Resort hotel stays. A one-size-fits-all approach to airport transportation no longer meets the needs of our Guests today. Guests have far more options to choose from compared to when Disney’s Magical Express service was introduced more than 15 years ago. These options are becoming more popular for vacationers, providing more flexibility and saving time so they can better plan their day at their convenience. As with every other change we’ve made in our history, we will help Guests navigate through these next steps and will continue to deliver on what’s expected from a Disney experience. We will continue to honor Disney's Magical Express Service for Resort arrivals through the end of 2021.

Please know that we take the feedback from our Guests very seriously as we continue to evaluate our offerings and I have shared your thoughts with the appropriate Leadership Teams.

Once again, XXXX, thank you for taking the time to write. Your comments are invaluable, as we are constantly evaluating our operation and our success in generating happiness for our Guests. We do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the Walt Disney World Resort and that your visit will be pleasant in every respect.

Kindest regards,

Geoffrey Kiser
Walt Disney World Resort
407-934-7249
Seems like a nice reply. He obviously read your complaint, empathized with your situation, and provided a rationale for the changes. Probably didn't change how you feel about Disney ending DME, but it does seem like pretty good customer service in terms of responding to a customer complaint.

Chi84

Premium Member

Kindest regards,

Geoffrey Kiser
Walt Disney World Resort
407-934-7249
That's almost word-for-word the same form reply others have received, with the exception of the first paragraph that refers to your 2021 plans. The last two paragraphs have appeared in responses to complaints about services other than DME.

JoeCamel

Kindest regards,

Geoffrey Kiser
Walt Disney World Resort
407-934-7249

Seems like a nice reply. He obviously read your complaint, empathized with your situation, and provided a rationale for the changes. Probably didn't change how you feel about Disney ending DME, but it does seem like pretty good customer service in terms of responding to a customer complaint.

That's almost word-for-word the same form reply others have received, with the exception of the first paragraph that refers to your 2021 plans. The last two paragraphs have appeared in responses to complaints about services other than DME.
Nice reply, very - noncommittal. Is there a Lyft link on their site yet so you can do your "planning"?

Chi84

Premium Member
Nice reply, very - noncommittal. Is there a Lyft link on their site yet so you can do your "planning"?
It's pretty much the same wording as in their announcement about discontinuing the service. I've received some pretty specific replies to emails in the past, including a call once when I didn't even request a reply. This leads me to believe Disney is sending out a boatload of these emails.

jsweatte

Fair enough, the response is polite but it does not address my main queston which was, why discontinue the ME? All the other things mentioned that guests want may be true but they don't lead to the ME being discontinued, do they? People had options before the ME, those remain as options. One size fits all? What does that mean, that the ME was the only way to get to/from MCO to WDW? It may be nice but it does not, as you note, change my mind. All things considered my family has too many good memories related to WDW to stop going. We'll still travel and remember all the good times we've had there. I hope others do as well. My other hope is that Disney straightens its act out.

bcoachable

Random thought:
The DME busses never took a route past Universal for a reason- even Fdot was convinced to construct “alternate routes” to allow disney to bypass guests away from seeing the competition. Won’t l uber drivers take the faster rout to WDW? And won’t that take them just past Uni’s soon to be built Epic Universe? How appealing is that Volcano to your kids as you drive past on I-4?
More thoughts to ponder... super interesting decision they made...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom