News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

dreday3

For me whenever I go to Orlando I usually wear sandals the whole time. Have a pair of running shoes if it gets chilly.

I wear mostly gym shoes, but I have quite a few. Different colors, different patterns, some more "dressy"...give me all the shoes!

As to not go completely off topic, I will still miss ME, but will carry on. I am also curious about the seismic shift.

Jrb1979

I wear mostly gym shoes, but I have quite a few. Different colors, different patterns, some more "dressy"...give me all the shoes!

As to not go completely off topic, I will still miss ME, but will carry on. I am also curious about the seismic shift.
I have to wonder if a lot of these cuts are permanent. From the sounds of what Martin is saying the seismic shift isn't in a good direction.

bcoachable

I dare say should ride shares become the norm parking lot space will be rearranged to accommodate.
Wondering if the pricing structure of the hotels will now be adjusted/lowered to reflect the savings on this move (and the move to cancel fireworks, and canceling of parades, and canceling of random encounters in the parks with Citizens, and parking fees disappear, and fast passes removed, and extra magic no longer a perk for staying on property, and no more Extra Magic hours, and lion king show not showing, and Nemo not swimming, and no train, and limited guest encounters with characters, and AP’s disappearing, and encounters with CM’s who had been 30 plus years that had been around on every trip you had been on before but are no longer there so they almost became family, and the canceling of the Little Mermaid show with no replacement, and the canceling of SGE with no replacement, and...)
Adds? Anything?? What’s new? A Copied Rat ride (eventually) A copied Tron Ride in two years. A Guardians ride that has promises, but has been buiilt in the wrong park- Remind me why are we all still paying for this vacation?
There are much cooler places for us to spend our money now!
Thanks, Dizness - it’s been a lot of fun! Someday, maybe you’ll get it- You were so good at treating us ALL like we were important to you- If you figure it out, we will be back.

JMcMahonEsq

This is what I was thinking. I see these people with a dozen suitcases and wonder what the heck they have in there. I don't have that many clothes. LOL
I am assuming that these 2 quotes are coming from people without kids who a) are young and have accidents in their pants so that multiple changes of outfits per day are needed. or b) have kids who are a little bit older and love to spill spaghetti, ice cream, insert favorite snack here, all over their clothes also requiring the multiple outfit packing. or c) have babies which leads into the changing of clothes for spit ups and such, but also require the diapers, bottles, formula expansion pack, which might be a bag all its own. I will also admit that when we go in the summer there are many times we have to pack multiple outfits per day for ourselves as we generally will be sweating like crazy in the Florida heat, and want to change in the afternoon evening. And/or if we are going to V&A or another dressier event, are not going to be wearing the shorts and teeshirts we wore in the morning.

Last edited:

JMcMahonEsq

I have to wonder if a lot of these cuts are permanent. From the sounds of what Martin is saying the seismic shift isn't in a good direction.
I think WDW is going to take advantage (maybe not the right choice of words) of the pandemic to make some large scale changes, and then slowly roll out new features as needed. Lets be honest Pre-Covid the parks and hotels were packed, despite what many people said where outrageous costs. From strictly a business perspective if demand is still super high, you are leaving money on the table by not increasing costs. Right now is a perfect opportunity to do major company wide pricing/packaging changes. Lets face it, right now, if you are a big enough WDW fan to be making vacations during a global pandemic, pricing fluctuations and changes to FP, ME, ect., are not going to keep you from going. Besides at first they were trying to limit capacity, so even a small reduction in attendees would not be a big deal. Now Disney has an opportunity to re-set pricing/experience how they see fit, getting rid of loss leader items, and re-evaluating free incentive, vs pay upgrade type models. Take FP, here's my pitch for transition. I could see this summer, or maybe 2022 that Disney says marketing and research has shown that over the past x months no FB has actually DECREASED wait times over the course of a day, an across all parks. Not having to make FP 60 days out increases attendee flexibility, and therefore it won't come back as a standard. Instead some high profile rides will use the successful boarding group model (less standing in line means more shopping/eating/exploring). Meanwhile for our resort guests, you can purchase a FB block as an extra.

ColdSarsaparilla

There’s quite the seismic shift across the company happening at the moment. I’m not sure how the endgame will look but I’m not looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out to say the least.
Honestly, the success of Disney Plus was bound to backfire on Parks. Not only is the Bobs' TLC on its shiny new toy, but it emboldens Cheapek to believe (even more) that their IP is so ingrained into the culture that they don't need to offer anything besides that in the parks.

mattpeto

I don't know what the seismic shift is for sure. My feeling that a lot of the perks that have been cut aren't coming back. The ones that do you will be paying for.
Sorry for rant ahead, just one man thoughts..

Demand will always be there, but sustaining crowds for diminishing returns will effect multiple visits. Especially for non locals.

Pandemic concerns, personally I wouldn’t come back to Disney in it’s water down state. And let’s be real, It’s not completely their fault for now.

I know I’m only one example, but my plan was to get an AP and get two or three trips in 2021/2022 or 2022/2023. Was exploring purchasing resale DVC. Now it’s very much “wait and see”.

Losing DME for 2022 and onward wasn’t quite the blow I was expecting. Why? It’s too definitive, too certain. It paints a grim picture that “it might be too different” from my hope.

Where I was passionate about multiple trips, it could be on an Olympic rotation of sorts if things don’t revert back.

That being said, I’m still optimistic Disney will make things more like pre pandemic. Time will tell.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What kind of feeling?
First when there was nothing but a slow glowing dream that Martin's fear seems to hide deep inside his mind. All alone he has cried silent tears full of pride in a world made of steel, made of stone. Well, he hears the music, closes his eyes, feels the rhythm wrap around, take a hold of his heart. What a feeling, bein's believin', he can have it all. Now he's dancing for his life.

seabreezept813

I am assuming that these 2 quotes are coming from people without kids who a) are young and have accidents in their pants so that multiple changes of outfits per day are needed. or b) have kids who are a little bit older and love to spill spaghetti, ice cream, insert favorite snack here, all over their clothes also requiring the multiple outfit packing. or c) have babies which leads into the changing of clothes for spit ups and such, but also require the diapers, bottles, formula expansion pack, which might be a bag all its own. I will also admit that when we go in the summer there are many times we have to pack multiple outfits per day for ourselves as we generally will be sweating like crazy in the Florida heat, and want to change in the afternoon evening. And/or if we are going to V&A or another dressier event, are not going to be wearing the shorts and teeshirts we wore in the morning.
I actually always share a suitcase with one of my kids and pack a suitcase with all the stuff we need—cosmetics, sun lotion, medicine, food and snacks, booze, ponchos, etc etc. It always works out great for us and helps us save quite a bit of money. Some stuff we could do without when trying instacart last trip but that was not as smooth as we hoped. Due to plane delays our food didn’t get delivered until a day late and even then was tough to track down.

Bill in Atlanta

First when there was nothing but a slow glowing dream that Martin's fear seems to hide deep inside his mind. All alone he has cried silent tears full of pride in a world made of steel, made of stone. Well, he hears the music, closes his eyes, feels the rhythm wrap around, take a hold of his heart. What a feeling, bein's believin', he can have it all. Now he's dancing for his life.
I don't like these riddles. I feel like they are preparation for more bad news 🥺

MickeyLuv'r

Wonder if shipping luggage in advance (such at all one has on the plane is a carry-on and backpack) is feasible?
Yes, many people do this, but at present, many WDW hotels charge guests for package deliveries - by the box.

There's also (or was) a service in Orlando that will keep a locker's worth of stuff (small lockbox) for frequent WDW travelers for a small monthly fee. The general idea is to use it to store toiletries and maybe a few foods that won't expire before your next trip, like maybe granola bars or applesauce packets. i've not used them, but perhaps they'd also be able to hold a carseat.

There are also companies that rent carseats, strollers, and even some medical devices.

There are also a host of grocery delivery services. I haven't used them, but they will deliver anything the big grocery stores carry: sunscreen, over-the-counter meds, water. The downside is they often charge a fair amount, and usually an adult has to be at the hotel to receive the groceries. One upside though is that they will usually deliver beer/wine, if one is so inclined. I'm not sure they deliver other alcohol, but from what I've read, the beer/wine prices are lower than what you'd pay at a resort pool bar, so that potentially offsets the higher prices on other items. I've only had water delivered. I used one of the big box office stores, I don't remember which one, but they no longer deliver water.

Suffice it to say, WDW has been losing out to other companies in this area. I could potentially see WDW wanting to bring this service in-house.

Oh, on the tail end- WDW will (or at east used to) ship some items to your home. It usually costs something, but I seem to recall it was included or a reasonable price for the more artsy/collectables items. At least some of the DS retailers will also ship purchases, I think for free if you spend over a certain amount.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom