News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Jrb1979

First off, it's TiggerDad, named after the beloved character you can play with at Crystal Palace. The generic Tigerdad is someone else who has been here far longer but is not nearly as popular. :angelic:

I agree that this change stinks. We always enjoyed DME and the counterpart in Paris. A generic Mears bus just won't be the same, especially if I have to schlep all of our luggage. I have three girls and they pack a lot of stuff. When they were younger, we would have an entire suitcase of just princess costumes and swap out three per day. So I don't like this change. But some posters on here - not pointing fingers at you - are going on like the internal combustion engine has been outlawed and they will have to walk uphill both ways to get to WDW. Yes it's going to cost more, but prices have gone up one way or another every year. It's not the end of the world.
It's crazy to me how so many people look through Mickey colored glasses and justify everything Dr. Evil is doing right now. From what Martin is saying it's all a part of a seismic shift in the company coming.

Jrb1979

The more I think about the seismic shift, I'm thinking it goes 1 of 2 ways. Either they sell off the parks to a third party or they focus more on rides and attractions and the extras don't come back.

Lilofan

The more I think about the seismic shift, I'm thinking it goes 1 of 2 ways. Either they sell off the parks to a third party or they focus more on rides and attractions and the extras don't come back.
I would concur with the focus. Before Magical Express, guests still survived on their own and got to the parks and resorts with other options. The taxi cabs that were literally put out of business by ME, will be back in force.

TiggerDad

It's crazy to me how so many people look through Mickey colored glasses and justify everything Dr. Evil is doing right now. From what Martin is saying it's all a part of a seismic shift in the company coming.
And it’s crazy to me how many posts say basically this same thing without trying to comprehend what other posters are saying. But that’s the beauty of the Internet.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My point was that without the Magical Express handling large numbers of guests, there will be a lot more congestion at the airport - more people waiting for luggage, renting cars, getting into Ubers, etc. It won't be as uncrowded and easy as it is now, with the buses handling so much of the transportation. Hopefully, a new system will come into place before this happens.

Well... maybe Disney converting all those rooms to DVC will help then... as Hotel Capacity at Disney hasn't really ballooned since pre-DME times :)

Really only Art of Animation and Rivera has been added (any others I'm missing??) since DME has been around... and Disney has been eating away at deluxe capacity with DVC conversions.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well... maybe Disney converting all those rooms to DVC will help then... as Hotel Capacity at Disney hasn't really ballooned since pre-DME times :)

Really only Art of Animation and Rivera has been added (any others I'm missing??) since DME has been around... and Disney has been eating away at deluxe capacity with DVC conversions.
I don’t understand your point. How will converting rooms to DVC affect airport congestion? Hasn’t Disney added a significant number of DVC rooms/buildings to existing deluxe resorts?

Last edited:

jaklgreen

As another female I'm no end baffled by the need to pack tons of stuff. A couple of shirts and changes of underwear, a spare pair of pants - maybe two - a swimsuit and flipper floppers. I can either do laundry in the room or at a laundry room. Maybe one nice outfit and shoes. Maybe. What else do you need?
This is what I was thinking. I see these people with a dozen suitcases and wonder what the heck they have in there. I don't have that many clothes. LOL

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t understand your point. How will converting rooms to DVC affect airport congestion? Hasn’t Disney added a significant number of DVC rooms/buildings to existing deluxe resorts?

Point is... the people riding DME (the onsite hotel population) has a relatively fixed cap - by the population the onsite hotels holds. That population was handled by MCO fine before DME... it can handle it without DME too. It's not some population that has grown over the 15years by leaps and bounds... because Disney onsite capacity hasn't been growing that much.

The main area of impact will be the ride share stuff IMO.

UNCgolf

Gran Destino Tower and Bay Lake Tower, plus the new build DVC villas at multiple resorts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Gran Destino Tower and Bay Lake Tower, plus the new build DVC villas at multiple resorts.

Thx.

Many of those DVC rooms at other resorts cannibalized other room capacity. BLT and and Rivera I guess are the biggest add-ons.. and that's about 800 rooms (roughish). The GD tower replaced some CBR capacity, but is roughly 550 rooms. Even if you call it 1500 rooms added, that is still <5% additional rooms. (rough math).

nickys

Premium Member
Thx.

Many of those DVC rooms at other resorts cannibalized other room capacity. BLT and and Rivera I guess are the biggest add-ons.. and that's about 800 rooms (roughish). The GD tower replaced some CBR capacity, but is roughly 550 rooms. Even if you call it 1500 rooms added, that is still <5% additional rooms. (rough math).
Riviera replaced rooms at CBR, not sure what the net gain was there. Gran Destino at CSR also replaced rooms but again not sure what the net gain was.

Kidani was all new additions. As were the Treehouses at Saratoga. And the Villas at the Grand Floridian.

Chi84

Premium Member
I recall taking a bus with all our luggage when the kids were small. I believe it was a Mears shuttle and we had to buy tickets. Maybe that will return. We rent a car now, but I’ll miss dropping off our luggage at the resort on the way home instead of having to check it at the airport.

I think everyone knows it’s possible to do without DME but it’s a convenience that many people will miss. Some more than others - people are different.

JoeCamel

But it’s within the realm of human experience for someone to prefer not to do laundry at Disney, isn’t it? It’s possible that someone other than you can feel differently?
And that is why they sell mickey underwear at Disney world. Come with just your CC and they can take care of you.
This is what I was thinking. I see these people with a dozen suitcases and wonder what the heck they have in there. I don't have that many clothes. LOL
Maybe those cases are empty and they really are ebay sellers to cover the cost of the trip?

MickeyLuv'r

Kidani was all new additions. As were the Treehouses at Saratoga. And the Villas at the Grand Floridian.
The Treehouses date back to the 1970's. They aren't really new. They used to be for what evolved into the Disney Institute, thought it was discontinued, part of the area became DTD/Disney Springs and DVC. They were underutilized when they were used for Disney Institute, but aren't technically new.

Though, that brings up a good point!

I think some folks are neglecting the many Orlando business travelers had before the pandemic. That travel segment isn't expected to return quickly; MCO isn't likely to be nearly as busy as it was pre-pandemic for quite some time.

Same thing for other big WDW events like weddings. It will take time for that segment to return.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Riviera replaced rooms at CBR, not sure what the net gain was there. Gran Destino at CSR also replaced rooms but again not sure what the net gain was.

GF Villias is one I overlooked for sure... it's kinda a timewarp to remember that was an addition and all the rub that made on the wedding center. But even that is only 147 rooms.. so again not big swings. I always get CSR/CBR mixed up with who got riveria vs the tower. Seems like Riveria took out a sizable section at CBR, while the tower really only took out one building at CSR.

I'm sure someone has spent the time to work this out somewhere :D

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disney parks have been the cash cow of the company for a while. I would argue disney plus will be the real money maker in the future however if you want to sell the parks off you got to have a buyer that thinks they can make more money than you. Buying a mature chain that has already screwed their own guests for maximum profits would be one of the dumbest decisions an investment source could ever make,
But we see on here every day, when it comes to Disney, people think -- and invest -- with their hearts, not their accountants.

At this point, I'd be happy to see someone with a motive to push the parks as entertainment, vice ATM. I'm pretty sure they could only improve the experience over what TDO is doing.

corran horn

You're missing the point. What's so hard to understand that a free service is being taken away. Now people have to pay to get to WDW. Doesn't matter that it was there before 2005.

Dr. Evil really has his fans. The amount people that are ok with all these cuts is crazy.

I understand people who don't use it being 'meh' about it. But thinking that its loss will translate into some sort of price decrease is lunacy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom