News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

mattpeto

When you check your bags into your home airport, do you consider that part of DME? No.

It isn't any different when you check your bags to go home.

"Approximately two weeks before departure, special luggage tags are provided by Disney to its resort guests* who have booked Magical Express service. The tags are sent out by mail or FedEx. Guests are expected to attach them to their luggage before the bags are checked in at the guests’ departure airport. The tags allow personnel at Orlando airport to identify which bags belong to people using Magical Express."

When you opt-in to DME, pre-covid your bags go from the airport to my room. There are probably 10 services (including Bags) behind all the scenes, but it all starts with opting into DME.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When Super Nintendo World opens in Orlando, Disney execs will regret every shortsighted decision they’ve made since 2017. Mario will be the first thing since Potter to actually live up to its hype.

Eh, who am I kidding? Those people will be long gone, ruining other companies too. “Sell the widgets!”
Disney could do everything 'right' as per the wishes of the people on these forums and a Super Nintendo World will still see huge attendance figures. It's the nature of the business.

The question is always long term impact.

And speaking of long term, SNW is about five year away. Lots of things can be different by then for good or for ill.

goofy5380

This is just horrible.....that's it keep cutting perks.....cut me right out of the picture also....bye ..bye...
seriously people in charge ??

bcoachable

Disney could do everything 'right' as per the wishes of the people on these forums and a Super Nintendo World will still see huge attendance figures. It's the nature of the business.

The question is always long term impact.

And speaking of long term, SNW is about five year away. Lots of things can be different by then for good or for ill.
Has Uni Re-Hired folks (at this moment) to get this back up and running?? If not, that is a pretty optimistic time line....

Plowboy

Sooooo, as a Disney guest I will now have the privilege of both paying for a rental car for a week and also parking it for a week as we seldom leave the property. Oooooh, I'm so thrilled to drop an additional $400 or so for nothing. Thanks Chapek.

Last edited:

Pardonmyfrench

Sorry I'm a little late to the party on this thread. To be blunt, the only part of the Magical Express that was magical was the luggage service. For years, we joked that it was the Magical Mystery Tour because you never knew how long you'd wait for a bus and how many stops it would make. I havent used them in years and either took a cab or now lyfts/uber. Leaving the parks we'd occasionally take it back to MCO but it really depended on how tired we were! One tip (if it has been mentioned before, I apologize for being late), I used the Mears App to order a van for our party 5 and 6 bags. They were on time, it didnt cost anymore than a regular cab to MCO, and everything including the bags were comfortable

note2001

How did they do it before MDE?

How do they do it going almost anywhere else in the world?

I should have said my question was hypothetical, purpose was to get folk to think about people other than themselves. Too many are quick to say "Too bad, so Sad. At least it isn't me."

I had to do that when my kids were really young and it stunk. I rented a town car that showed up late. I paid to have the driver meet me at luggage claim to help and when I finally got a hold of him, he said that because he was running late, he did not want to come in. I also asked for child seats that he did not bring with him. I had a 2 & 3 yo with me at the time. Back then it was over $100rt plus they wanted a tip. I almost cried when Disney announced DME shortly after that.

Jacklgreen, wow, I'm so sorry. Hopefully the remainder of your trip went well and you have great memories.

I was in the single parent group too. Thankfully I only had one child and he had just turned 4 at the time of his first visit. I did not bring a stroller, which in retrospect was a mistake given that he was in the 99th percentile height & weight wise and a pain to carry when his feet wore out. I'm almost 5'7" so not tiny, but man did I build up muscles that trip. LOL.

I cannot recall how we made our way though the airport at all.

It was June. We were packed into an overcrowded Mears van, four of us in the back row including my son on our way to the Disney hotel. That situation had all the feels of traveling in a third world country where there was only one working vehicle in town. At least I had the window, although it wouldn't open. I recall having a breakdown out of exhaustion when we finally got to our room.

I swore never to use Mears again after that awful experience. However, in later visits I liked using Magical Express run by Mears for Disney, and make no mistake, Disney kept them in line.

Last edited:

bcoachable

Sorry I'm a little late to the party on this thread. To be blunt, the only part of the Magical Express that was magical was the luggage service. For years, we joked that it was the Magical Mystery Tour because you never knew how long you'd wait for a bus and how many stops it would make. I havent used them in years and either took a cab or now lyfts/uber. Leaving the parks we'd occasionally take it back to MCO but it really depended on how tired we were! One tip (if it has been mentioned before, I apologize for being late), I used the Mears App to order a van for our party 5 and 6 bags. They were on time, it didnt cost anymore than a regular cab to MCO, and everything including the bags were comfortable
agree with much, but are people grasping they are still paying, what, 350 a night for a small Port Orleans Room with none of the perks that used to justify paying that much? There are better deals to be found outside the bubble...
Im BUMMED cause the bubble just got burst. I enjoyed staying in it when we did. But when there are no perks left to help me justify paying that much to do so, our family won't be. Don't tell me the 30 minutes every day makes a difference. We all know the parks opened 30 minutes early anyway...
There must be something coming in the near future that will keep the "BUBBLE" relevent.

aliceismad

agree with much, but are people grasping they are still paying, what, 350 a night for a small Port Orleans Room with none of the perks that used to justify paying that much? There are better deals to be found outside the bubble...
Im BUMMED cause the bubble just got burst. I enjoyed staying in it, but not when there are no perks left to help me justify paying that much to do so. Don't tell me the 30 minutes every day makes a difference. We all know the parks opened 30 minutes early anyway...
There are some good neighbor hotels that are probably closer than Animal Kingdom lodge or the All-Stars, depending on what Park you're going to.

Pardonmyfrench

Im BUMMED cause the bubble just got burst. I enjoyed staying in it when we did. But when there are no perks left to help me justify paying that much to do so, our family won't be. Don't tell me the 30 minutes every day makes a difference. We all know the parks opened 30 minutes early anyway...
There must be something coming in the near future that will keep the "BUBBLE" relevent.
I agree with your comments. Had this just been the elimination of the Magic Mystery Tour, it wouldnt have been as bad but when taken as a whole, it definitely calls into question, what are the benefits of staying at a Disney Hotel? I have DVC at Bay Lake, ignoring that I'm paid up (yes thats a big deal but stay with me), nothing beats walking to MK and having access to the Contemporary and the monorail. Other than the MK hotels, Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk, and probably Animal Kingdom because of the safari views, no other hotels can replicate that feeling of being 10 minutes from the park. So when you strip away all the benefits, it's hard to make an argument.

floydbeatle

When Super Nintendo World opens in Orlando, Disney execs will regret every shortsighted decision they’ve made since 2017. Mario will be the first thing since Potter to actually live up to its hype.

Eh, who am I kidding? Those people will be long gone, ruining other companies too. “Sell the widgets!”
I tend to agree. I think their decision to delay construction on the park was shortsighted. The original opening date was 2023. If we include typical delays then maybe it would have opened in 2024. Now we will be lucky to see the park in the next 5-7 years. This is just pure speculation on my part with the timelines, but I think Uni should have bet big on their new park. A new park could be the game changer especially if it includes Super Nintendo World. I mean why not just copy Disney and put a big castle for Zelda in the middle of the park.

Jay D'Canuck

Disappointing! Disney got this wrong! ME such a HUGE help for parents with small children. I'm a longtime wdw visitor, visited almost every year the last 10years. Spent the most $$$ at WDW than ANY other vacation destination for my family. Especially for international travellers (I'm Canadian), not having to worry about how to get to/from WDW was part of the appeal of WDW. No driving in an unfamiliar city, no car rentals, no worrying about your luggage, worrying about taxi or Uber cost. Those are big. Disney needs to reconsider this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom