News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

tirian

Point B isn't your hotel though. That's a massive difference.

Again, there's plenty of alternatives for DME and there will likely be an almost similar service by Mears available except it won't be included in your resort stay. I just don't see how Brightline would work for the vast majority of Disney guests flying into MCO.

Please note: I am not saying that Brightline as a service in general or having a stop at Disney Springs specifically doesn't make sense; it does. I'm saying that it doesn't work as a replacement for DME very well, so I don't understand why people are even bringing it up.
^^because it’s a thing to say to remain a Pixie Duster and pretend everything is better than ever before.

jaklgreen

Just thinking of all the single parents with little ones trying to navigate the airport and transportation with one or more children, multiple bags, no help even from Disney. How will they do it? How are they doing it now?

I had to do that when my kids were really young and it stunk. I rented a town car that showed up late. I paid to have the driver meet me at luggage claim to help and when I finally got a hold of him, he said that because he was running late, he did not want to come in. I also asked for child seats that he did not bring with him. I had a 2 & 3 yo with me at the time. Back then it was over $100rt plus they wanted a tip. I almost cried when Disney announced DME shortly after that.

Djsfantasi

The original version of the DDP was great. What it became wasn’t.

It used to include appetizer, entree, dessert and gratuity if I remember correctly?
It still does, if you want it. Except gratuity. I always get DDP Deluxe. While there are more meals than I want, I use the extra meals to dine at the expensive choices. And I convert QS meals to snacks and munch around the parks.

GusEzra

But you could always do that. ;)
True but it was nice to just get off the plane and just live in the bubble and there was no extra cost associated with it, the whole point of a vacation is less stress not more a Disney trip is stressful enough even for seasoned pros. but if they are forcing us to assume a cost to get to the resort, that money is going to come from some where we just wont blindly add it to the cost of the trip and if we are going to have an added stressor might as well turn that in to something that will be more of a stress relief.

tirian

True but it was nice to just get off the plane and just live in the bubble and there was no extra cost associated with it, the whole point of a vacation is less stress not more a Disney trip is stressful enough even for seasoned pros. but if they are forcing us to assume a cost to get to the resort, that money is going to come from some where we just wont blindly add it to the cost of the trip and if we are going to have an added stressor might as well turn that in to something that will be more of a stress relief.
When Super Nintendo World opens in Orlando, Disney execs will regret every shortsighted decision they’ve made since 2017. Mario will be the first thing since Potter to actually live up to its hype.

Eh, who am I kidding? Those people will be long gone, ruining other companies too. “Sell the widgets!”

TrainsOfDisney

It still does, if you want it. Except gratuity. I always get DDP Deluxe. While there are more meals than I want, I use the extra meals to dine at the expensive choices. And I convert QS meals to snacks and munch around the parks.
So if you pay extra you can get part of what you used to get with the regular plan, but not all of what you used to get?

Sounds like WDW standard operating procedure!

jaklgreen

This is no biggie for us. After our last trip in Feb 2020, my husband kept complaining about being in a maximum security prison. The highlight of the trip, in fact the only part he liked, was seeing Patrick Mahomes in the parade in MK. (I’m the fan in the family and he wanted me to be happy. Hes a keeper.)

The worst part of the trip for both of us was the horrible kosher food. At least they didn’t charge us a premium on the DDP.

If we are able to go back some time post-COVID, we will probably stay off site and rent a car. Obviously, we would dine off site at a kosher restaurant.

i did like not having the chore of driving while on vacation, but I’d get over it in favor of the control. With navigation on my phone, I’m not worried about getting lost.

I did not like having to stand in line for an hour just to be assigned to a bus, which then took another hour (in my mind) to load up and get moving. I also did not like enduring multiple stops before reaching my resort. And tbh I didn’t trust luggage service. So the “stress-free just relax” factor wasn’t there for me. Especially since we arrived late morning, had lunch, and went right to the parks before seeing our room.

To the point about airline check-in for the return trip, don’t you just do that online on your phone anyway?

And my last point, what about the transfer between your house and the airport? Last trip we took the Long Island Railroad to Jamaica station, then the AirTrain to the JetBlue terminal. With smartcarts, it was easy peasy. Of course it’s just me and DH, but I think all the airports have the carts now. 😉

We are not saying that it is not possible to transfer ourselves from the airport to WDW. We are saying that some of us like the convenience of not having to worry about that. Not everyone likes driving in a strange city or want to fork over even more money for rental cars, especially now since they charge for parking. It is part of the "inclusive" experience. One of the reasons why I travel solo to WDW annually is because of the fact that I don't have to worry about those things. As soon as I step off the plane, Disney has me. I just get on the bus and I don't have to worry about getting myself anywhere. I ride the busses to the parks too. This is part of the reason that makes Disney different and better then many other destinations. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

Djsfantasi

... Getting rid of the bus as well as EMH is such a massive slap in the face. So let me get this straight...I will be paying the same amount of money for my WDW hotel room, but getting a lot less in return. Yeah...no thanks.
Just announced. EMH are gone! But now EVERY park will open an hour earlier for resort guests EVERY day. A win in my book.

HarperRose

I hope everyone who is affected by this will email complaints to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com. It probably will help just as much as getting those parking fees rescinded, but it's good to let them know when you're unhappy about a recent change.
Thank you for the email address. I sent an email a couple minutes ago, voicing my disappointment.

Djsfantasi

I loved magical express. It was nice not having to worry about our luggage and it felt like the vacation began right at the airport. This more than anything makes me rethink future trips. I told my husband we will probably not be going as often as we had planned in the future, if at all.

I am fast approaching 70yo. Not having to schlep my luggage for a 10 day trip is huge. And I go (went?) to Disney from Boston 2-3 times a year. I could get a 6:00am flight BOS-MCO, and with ME, get to a park around open on the first day. That saved me a day of hotel expenses.

Daddyoh

Just going to get ahead of the "Brightline will replace this" replies:

The Brightline trains won't run nearly often enough to be a viable replacement. And even if they did, what is a family of 5 staying at the Polynesian supposed to do when they get to Disney Springs with 8 pieces of luggage and 2 strollers? Take a resort bus?
My thoughts EXACTLY ! You arrive at the Springs then WHAT ? How do you get to say Beach Club with kids,luggage and strollers ? How is this all suppose to work ? New busses that can take all your necessities as well as the family to your chosen Resort ? talk about wasting time ! Can anyone explain it to us please.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom