News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

el_super

Nothing says start of a vacation like renting a car, dealing with the mess from the airport to Disney, and then parking it there for 7 days. An especially fun place for those foreigners getting their first experience of American driving.

If you rent a car, you can have some privacy with your family, and depending on the resort you can have closer access directly to your room. You also have the freedom to leave property and visit other destinations without making separate arrangements.

If you don't want to drive, you can hire a driver and/or car service that will help with your bags.

Is it expensive? Yes. Absolutely. Does it provide a better value than Magical Express? In some circumstances, yes it absolutely does. So it's just a matter of figuring out convenience, service or cost.

aliceismad

This is such a horrible move. They have made poor move after poor move it seems. The vacation started for us once we got onto the ME. I've always called Disney the most exhausting all-inclusive vacation around. Losing the luggage option, EMH, FP, dinning plan and now this really makes you wonder what is next.
I do wonder if an all-inclusive-type option will ever hit Disney. Package transportation, room, food, photopass, etc. all in one. I know these moves all point to no, but it's so convenient to just pay one price and be done with it that people seem ok to pay a little bit more for it.

Lilofan

Driving around WDW is already a nightmare. I can't imagine what a horror it will turn into with all those additional cars on the road.
Worse case if one gets into a car accident, local police cannot assist in investigation. Florida Highway Patrol has to be called. At times it takes several hours until a trooper shows up to conduct investigation.

KBLovedDisney

I have never, ever used DME and im totally cool with it.
I have never used it either, but I feel bad for the people out there that made it a tradition every trip to do so. It breaks your heart knowing that a big part of one's tradition is going away. Another little bit of Disney...
Disappear Cate Blanchett GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

Last edited:

floydbeatle

I empathize with those who believe this is a big blow for all the various reasons stated in the past 36 pages. I have only taken DME once (1/2020) and I thought it was a great option. I totally could see why folks like the service. However, I am not sure why folks always get bent out of shape on these decisions by Disney and the current corporate regime. They reduce offerings, they make more money. They raise the prices on tickets, passes, food, DDP, etc. and they make even more money. They add new fees e.g. parking, they make even more money. They will not change their behavior and their thinking until the folks on this forum STOP going, and saying how great WDW is. You are the Superfans!

I have a feeling everyone on this forum is STILL going to go to Disney. You may flirt with Uni for a trip, but then you'll come to your senses and go back to Disney. You will all figure out how to live w/o DME, and all the other perks you were used to.

I am not trying to anyone off, but I am amazed and how apoplectic people get. Disney makes these changes because they can. Have you seen the prices they charge for ABD, or their cruises? How about the 1 day 10k VIP tour?

It is possible some are simply priced out of a Disney vacation. Sorry...

TrainsOfDisney

I have never, ever used DME and im totally cool with it.
I didn’t use it often. I would normally arrive by train, but when I did fly in and out it was a very nice service.

I’m always using Uber and public transit when I travel but there was something relaxing about just heading for the signs, checking in, and being “at Disney.”

el_super

However, I am not sure why folks always get bent out of shape on these decisions by Disney and the current corporate regime. They reduce offerings, they make more money.

People keep going because, in addition to removing services, they also add services and options. That usually gets lost when the singular objective of a thread is to denounce a change people don't like.

Magical Express has only been around for the last 15 of 50 years. Removing it isn't the end of the world. If it does result in lower revenue and fewer bookings, they will bring it back.

Dan Deesnee

I empathize with those who believe this is a big blow for all the various reasons stated in the past 36 pages. I have only taken DME once (1/2020) and I thought it was a great option. I totally could see why folks like the service. However, I am not sure why folks always get bent out of shape on these decisions by Disney and the current corporate regime. They reduce offerings, they make more money. They raise the prices on tickets, passes, food, DDP, etc. and they make even more money. They add new fees e.g. parking, they make even more money. They will not change their behavior and their thinking until the folks on this forum STOP going, and saying how great WDW is. You are the Superfans!

I have a feeling everyone on this forum is STILL going to go to Disney. You may flirt with Uni for a trip, but then you'll come to your senses and go back to Disney. You will all figure out how to live w/o DME, and all the other perks you were used to.

I am not trying to **** anyone off, but I am amazed and how apoplectic people get. Disney makes these changes because they can. Have you seen the prices they charge for ABD, or their cruises? How about the 1 day 10k VIP tour?

It is possible some are simply priced out of a Disney vacation. Sorry...

I think you're missing the likelihood that although we will still go, we may go far less than we would have before. In my case, 1 trip instead of 3, over the next 2 years.

You might say, "You would cancel 2 trips because of magical Express going away?". The answer is both yes and no. It's not the main reason, but it's the final straw. I would need to bring 3 car seats with me and I'm not putting my kids in rental car seats nor will I pay for some sort of premium rental car with the car seats included, even if I can afford it.

The hassle and safety risks are too high. We often fly in the night before our trip actually starts, usually around 10-11 at night.

Disney, you've gone too far...

floydbeatle

I think you're missing the likelihood that although we will still go, we may go far less than we would have before. In my case, 1 trip instead of 3, over the next 2 years.

You might say, "You would cancel 2 trips because of magical Express going away?". The answer is both yes and no. It's not the main reason, but it's the final straw. I would need to bring 3 car seats with me and I'm not putting my kids in rental car seats nor will I pay for some sort of premium rental car with the car seats included, even if I can afford it.

The hassle and safety risks are too high. We often fly in the night before our trip actually starts, usually around 10-11 at night.

Disney, you've gone too far...
Totally legitimate rationale, observation , and concern. The issue is that don't I think Disney cares that you go from 3 trips to 1 trip. They have plenty of people to replace you and your family with, and by reducing the amount of times you go, they may reduce the complaints. From what I have heard on this forum, although I don't know the truth of the matter, is that WDW only wants the 1 time guests that come once every 7 years or so. So again, having a family reduce the amount of times they go may be in their business plan.

el_super

Which service(s) replaced free resort parking?

Which service(s) replaced extra housekeeping services like daily linen changes, towel creatures, etc.?

Which service(s) replaced the complimentary resort postcard in the room? (Don’t think they were ever in value).

That's a good fair question. I could take some shots in the dark and tell you why I still go (although to be fair, I definitely wasn't thinking of going back to WDW before visiting some other Disney sites). But at the end of the day it's a personal decision everyone is making. People are still going so there is clearly some value in the trip. Maybe it's the new rides? Maybe it's MDE? Maybe it's the PlayDisney app? The new hotel towers?

Obviously though, right now is probably a bad time to start comparing services and amenities. I can't fathom why anyone is going right now.

Lilofan

Which service(s) replaced free resort parking?

Which service(s) replaced extra housekeeping services like daily linen changes, towel creatures, etc.?

Which service(s) replaced the complimentary resort postcard in the room? (Don’t think they were ever in value).
I've stayed in non Disney hotels where in the shower there is a dispenser for soap and shampoo. Its a cost savings to no longer have bars of soap and shampoo in the hotel room.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
As I said in a post yesterday, I always enjoyed the VEA shuttle and a couple of times we even got some nice prices on the wheel (Disney store resin statues,etc).

My sister wants to try the TGV next time though ... boo

ME was ok for our first time going from CDG to DLP, but I really want to try the TGV to DLP. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom