News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

dreday3

It still should be a concern because now you have to pay more for what was once included. Its not like hotel rates are going to go down. You will spend more and more for less and less.

I get that, but I'm just not that bothered by it. I get other people are and fully respect their decision to stay off-site or not go at all.

We stayed at Beach Club in 2000 with no ME offered and I'm thinking the increased price of Beach Club today would be what it is even if they never added Magical Express.

Chip Chipperson

My issue is how many Ubers I have been in with questionable mechanics. I'm not inclined to take my kid if I can avoid it, especially if she needs a car seat. I was in an Uber once in San Francisco that I was positive was not going to make it up the hills and was going to fall apart on the way down.

I tried to get an Uber in San Francisco once. The driver couldn't find the baseball stadium. I wish I was joking.

el_super

Why wouldn’t they announce it now then? This is still possible but I think they would of announced it alongside this.

There could be numerous reasons why, but I think the most likely right now, is the concern that announcing a new service in 2022, may cause people to cancel/postpone trips in 2021. They desperately need people to visit NOW.

Point B isn't your hotel though. That's a massive difference.

Yeah, it's a transfer to another bus or a ride share option. That is inconvenient, but not impossible. Aside from the baggage issue though, it is a fairly minor inconvenience. If, as rail options are at other Disney sites, the rail service is priced competitively against the bus options (usually cheaper) than the financial value could overcome the inconvenience.

I think the obvious best solution today would be taking a ride share from the airport direct to the hotel (or even directly to your room), but that's also the most expensive option.

Again, there's plenty of alternatives for DME and there will likely be an almost similar service by Mears available except it won't be included in your resort stay. I just don't see how Brightline would work for the vast majority of Disney guests flying into MCO.

Just because of having to transfer to a different bus/car at Disney Springs? That's the only objection?

wutisgood

Disney has a huge costly infrastructure to main and yet wants MORE cars? Not to mention the traffic and productivity losses that come from them. Disney should be continuously trying to get people to drive less not more.

Sure I will still go to the parks but this made the decision easy to stay off property. Once you pay the parking fee it is often easier to park hop by driving. Rope drop isn't even as good as years ago now that disney doesn't staff rides as well to start the day.

Disney often feels like the abuser of an abusive relationship.

The competition probably loves when disney does things like this. They make everyone else look good my being greedy.

Lilofan

That happened so long ago, I can barely remember. I am now vaguely remembering a time when Magic Kingdom had extra magic hours till 1 AM (maybe even later). Those were well...magical. Such a shame to see them reduced to this.
Back in the day during Christmas to NYE , MK evening EMH was from 1am-4am 1-2x that week. The park then reopened at 7am 3 hours later.

doctornick

Just because of having to transfer to a different bus/car at Disney Springs? That's the only objection?

Just? That's like a massive difference. You've just taken a flight and are carrying a bunch of luggage -- getting directly to your destination as quickly and seamlessly as possible is going to be the biggest factor driving most people's planning.

Any cost savings between options is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money people are paying for a WDW vacation. That's not going to be a driver of people's choices unless the options are otherwise similar.

TrainsOfDisney

Back in the day during Christmas to NYE , MK evening EMH was from 1am-4am. The park then reopened at 7am 3 hours later.
yes! That’s back when Studios did an amazing fireworks show with a live band (mulch) playing the music.

Studios was open till 3 am- after the fireworks I would watch muppets, roam the Osborne lights practically to myself and if I felt so desired ride tower of terror with a short wait time to ring in the new year properly.

That’s the Disney I couldn’t get enough of!

Lilofan

yes! That’s back when Studios did an amazing fireworks show with a live band (mulch) playing the music.

Studios was open till 3 am- after the fireworks I would watch muppets, roam the Osborne lights practically to myself and if I felt so desired ride tower of terror with a short wait time to ring in the new year properly.

That’s the Disney I couldn’t get enough of!
I was there NYE 1999 park closing at 3am, several bands locations outside at GMR, Sunset Blvd, Indy theatre, and at the end of NY Street up close and personal - Cheap Trick in concert!

el_super

Any cost savings between options is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money people are paying for a WDW vacation.

Then why aren't more people taking Limos instead of Magical Express? Or renting a car?

Renting a car seems like a better option than Magical Express... It's just more expensive.

LSLS

Then why aren't more people taking Limos instead of Magical Express? Or renting a car?

Renting a car seems like a better option than Magical Express... It's just more expensive.
Nothing says start of a vacation like renting a car, dealing with the mess from the airport to Disney, and then parking it there for 7 days. An especially fun place for those foreigners getting their first experience of American driving.

Jrn14

HarperRose

There could be numerous reasons why, but I think the most likely right now, is the concern that announcing a new service in 2022, may cause people to cancel/postpone trips in 2021. They desperately need people to visit NOW.

Yeah, it's a transfer to another bus or a ride share option. That is inconvenient, but not impossible. Aside from the baggage issue though, it is a fairly minor inconvenience. If, as rail options are at other Disney sites, the rail service is priced competitively against the bus options (usually cheaper) than the financial value could overcome the inconvenience.

I think the obvious best solution today would be taking a ride share from the airport direct to the hotel (or even directly to your room), but that's also the most expensive option.

Even before you leave the grounds of MCO, you'll have to go from the main terminal, to baggage claim, drag your bags/carseats/carry ons to take whatever transportation they offer over to the new train terminal, wait for a train, take the train to DS, schlep all your crap off the train, figure out where you need to go to find your way to your hotel, (still schlepping your crap), walk to appropriate bus terminal, wait for a bus to show up and then, finally, maybe two-three hours after you land, you arrive at your vacation destination.

Sounds fun.

note2001

This video about the perks of staying at a Disney resort makes some interesting viewing now...

That was fun, and made me remember why I loved Disney so much. I think the only part of that video that is current for our present time is the transportation from the hotels to the parks.

It's clear that everything detailed out was above and beyond the core basics of what disney needs to provide to stay in business. Even the part of all the hotels is incorrect when we consider there are quite a few still not open.

I'd love to see an updated version of this video. Would probably be played to the soundtrack of Scar singing to the Hyenas to go to war, Gaston over promoting himself for nothing, and Ursala preparing to steal Ariel's voice. (Although I might have Disney confused with political events of our recent past.)

This is such a horrible move. They have made poor move after poor move it seems. The vacation started for us once we got onto the ME. I've always called Disney the most exhausting all-inclusive vacation around. Losing the luggage option, EMH, FP, dinning plan and now this really makes you wonder what is next.

Lilofan

Traffic on Disney property and at MCO is going to be a NIGHTMARE. All these confused tourists each in their own car or uber driving around property getting lost.

What a horrible idea!

Any chance they reverse this awful decision... At least until the train is up and running?
Even before you leave the grounds of MCO, you'll have to go from the main terminal, to baggage claim, drag your bags/carseats/carry ons to take whatever transportation they offer over to the new train terminal, wait for a train, take the train to DS, schlep all your crap off the train, figure out where you need to go to find your way to your hotel, (still schlepping your crap), walk to appropriate bus terminal, wait for a bus to show up and then, finally, maybe two-three hours after you land, you arrive at your vacation destination.

Sounds fun.
Note to self before the next Disney vacation
Practice defensive driving
Work out more at the gym to prepare for more walking and building up muscle strength

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom