News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

HansGruber

This isn't going to impact the general public who visit the place once a decade or lifetime.

Most of us here have a sensitivity to the historical decrease in service/ increase in price over the last two decades. Of course, that's not going to stop most people here from doling out cash. I swear, Disney could bolt live children in Small World and most folks here wouldn't blink an eye with their wallets.

icc2515

Other than bus service to and from parks I can't think of any benefit that can explain the high cost. If I'm already staying off site, I'll likely just start using Uber to get around (what I save is room costs will likely pay for that, plus it's more reliable) and I'll probably be eating more meals off property too; most likely breakfast and lunch, since those are easy things I could pick up at a grocery without needing a kitchen to eat. When it comes to shopping, I'm more likely to head to an outlet now because even though I love the restaurants in DS the shops either don't appeal to me or are too expensive. It's not necessarily the removal of ME that caused this, more the removal of all the key perks that made it worth staying onsite being removed.
Good. The more people that do this, the more incentive Disney will have to bring back the perks and add some new ones in there as well. I know I have an offsite stay coming up. Disney's hotels were too expensive and no good deals for passholders either.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Before we get to "casting them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth", Let's go back to the days Before DME existed. We still had Mears, we just didn't have a wrapped bus but still had great service. Before the discounters turned air travel into IMHO a "cattle drive in the sky", we'd fly down because it was more convenient. Only 20 minute drive to the airport half an hour before the flight, 30-minute flight, hop on Mears Coach and be at the resort in half an hour. Going back was even easier as we picked which bus we wanted to take at what time, showed up, and off we go!

These days its 2 hours before a flight, squeeze yourself into a crowded terminal, plane, a 30-minute flight, an hour or two to get to your resort from touchdown, then reverse the process except its three hours leaving to MCO.

UNCgolf

The transportation one, would add to front line cost. Which would mean more bodies to see you have a ticket which means more CM pay and lesser revenue.
The parking fee is easier to mandate because they just have to assume your there. Simple.

Right, that's exactly the point I was making. They wouldn't do it because of the logistics involved.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This isn't going to impact the general public who visit the place once a decade or lifetime.

Most of us here have a sensitivity to the historical decrease in service/ increase in price over the last two decades. Of course, that's not going to stop most people here from doling out cash. I swear, Disney could bolt live children in Small World and most folks here wouldn't blink an eye with their wallets.

I hear Vlad Teppish had another unique way to fix people in place.

aliceismad

It makes lots of sense. They can't charge you a parking fee if you don't have a car and used the bus, but this way they can charger you every night you are there letting your rental car just gather dust in the parking lot of the resort. My guess is they decided they made more from the parking fees than they would make from insuring you couldn't sneak off and get a reasonable priced meal once in a while.
I agree in part, but does Disney have enough parking lots to accommodate large increases in cars at the onsite hotels? I doubt Disney wants to invest in that construction and maintenance costs, not to mention the additional costs to create proper stormwater systems and retention areas to offset the amount of impermeable pavement, plus the requirement to offset "developed" land with additional greenspace.

I really think another option will be introduced, but it will involve a fee.

DisneyDebRob

I think this is what a lot of people saying this is no big deal and won't cause anyone to cancel a trip isn't getting. It might not cause cancelled trips, but there's a big opportunity for a ripple effect here. Just as an example; this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me when it comes to staying onsite. Other than bus service to and from parks I can't think of any benefit that can explain the high cost. If I'm already staying off site, I'll likely just start using Uber to get around (what I save is room costs will likely pay for that, plus it's more reliable) and I'll probably be eating more meals off property too; most likely breakfast and lunch, since those are easy things I could pick up at a grocery without needing a kitchen to eat. When it comes to shopping, I'm more likely to head to an outlet now because even though I love the restaurants in DS the shops either don't appeal to me or are too expensive. It's not necessarily the removal of ME that caused this, more the removal of all the key perks that made it worth staying onsite being removed. And when people aren't staying onsite, spending the entire vacation at Disney is no longer the most convenient option. It's not inconvenient, exactly. But it's just not the no-brainer it used to be.

Death by a thousand cuts is an accurate description here. Just one of the recent cuts would not have been a huge deal, but all the things added together are really hurting the value of the resorts' premium cost.
The straw that broke the camels back is a perfect way to put it.
For many they don’t even know about ME but for us that go yearly a few times, this just hits you hard. Not in itself but with all the cuts that have been going on. I’m not even talking about the pandemic cuts where something will come back eventually.. I’m talking about the gone forever ones. Seems every announcement is about something going away.
We have been on the fence about selling our DVC which we’ve had since 2003. Had so many memories but it just isn’t the same anymore. Now another thing to try and figure out.. how to even get to the parks. I can feel a long conversation coming up with my wife.

UNCgolf

I agree in part, but does Disney have enough parking lots to accommodate large increases in cars at the onsite hotels? I doubt Disney wants to invest in that construction and maintenance costs, not to mention the additional costs to create proper stormwater systems and retention areas to offset the amount of impermeable pavement, plus the requirement to offset "developed" land with additional greenspace.

I really think another option will be introduced, but it will involve a fee.

Some of the older resorts probably do because of how spread out they are. There's a tons of parking at Port Orleans Riverside, for example -- there are decent sized lots at every single building. Both times I've had my car there in the last few years the parking lots weren't even remotely close to being full; they were at less than 50% capacity.

DisneyDebRob

That’s just funny. 😂

Lilofan

Some of the older resorts probably do because of how spread out they are. There's a tons of parking at Port Orleans Riverside, for example -- there are decent sized lots at every single building. Both times I've had my car there in the last few years the parking lots weren't even remotely close to being full; they were at less than 50% capacity.
There is a lot of parking at Boardwalk too. I just had to walk what feels like a half a mile from the parking lot to my hotel room.

JMcMahonEsq

In the realm of conspiracy theories, with how bad CA has been in shutting and keeping Disneyland shutdown, with no real end to this in site, I wonder if behind the scenes the FLA government went under the table to Disney and told them they had to do more to help the local economy. While not a popular decision amongst hard core WDW visitors, shutting down the ME does 1) save some operating costs for Disney, and 2) can be seen as a boon to the local non-Disney travel economy. Cabs/private transportation/car rental companies, ect all now get a piece of the Disney travel crowd, both to and from resorts. Local non-Disney hotels all of a sudden become a lot more competitive/attractive when compared to on site properties now. People now having cars on property maybe more likely to leave the Disney bubble and explore more of what Florida has to offer instead of remaining isolated on Disney Campus.

EPCOT-O.G.

I haven't gone through every single post, but I have to laugh a little about this. So many of us reminisce about how amazing Disney once was and how it's gone downhill. All of my trips as a kid and young adult were in a time with...

- No fast passes
- No extra magic hours
- No real park hopping
- No dining plan
- No Magical Express

Disney is starting to sound a lot like "the good ole days." Yes, I know a version of hopping is being brought back and resort parking fees are being assessed, but still...it's just kind of funny (not in the ha ha way) of how this all looks. That being said, I used the feature when we would fly to WDW, and while it saved some costs, it always kind of frustrated me. So, I'm mixed on it being cut.
Yes, but, for me personally, my nostalgic fondness was formed when I was the child (back in the 80’s and early 90’s) and not the overstressed father trying to maneuver the logistics in making this all work.

As someone who typically flies to Disney, this is by far the most impactful recent cut.

Disney vacations are supposed to be seamless. That's a huge part of the value proposition. This cuts directly to the heart of that, and is the first cut that will actually make me postpone or cancel a trip.

I've emailed Guest Services, and I would encourage you to do the same.

Minnesota disney fan

Interestingly it seems that post pandemic travel planning is extremely hot right now. I guess there is much pent up demand. But as to the reality of when that pent up demand can be transformed into actual travel is anyone's guess. If so, this change most affects the repeat guests that know about MDE and frequent WDW, and who are probably yearning to get back to WDW. As to whether it changes anyones eventual plans, who know...But it certainly doesn't help build the WDW brand....right now anway.

It's definitely changed our plans. We have been going to wDW since 1978. Our kids and grandkids all experienced it with us:)
Because of the cuts, cuts, cuts and mismanagement of the WDW Co, we will definitely NOt be coming back to WDW. This is the straw that broke the camels back. DME was something we both looked forward to; the happiness of going through the DME entrance at MCO, the fun of watching the movie, and even the jokes of the bus drivers. It was so nice to sit back, relax, and know that we would be in our happy place soon, without the hassle of other vacations with driving, hauling bags, traffic, parking, etc.
My husband and I have decided not to return to WDW. We have had many good years and memories there, and cannot tolerate the money grabbing, greedy, management that is now disney.
We fly from a long way, so YES, it has changed our plans. There are too many other great places to visit, and they will be our goal now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom