News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

TJJohn12

And that uncertainty is what makes this all the more confusing. Nothing about the timing of the DME announcement make sense, considering the actual impact is potentially more than 1 year out.

There was no reason to drop this right now.

Are they getting ready to open 2022 bookings? Because that usually happens in summer, right?

Or are they trying to let the anger over this subside BEFORE they open bookings in a few months?

ParentsOf4

That chart proves a point...but not the same one.

It is direct correlation to recessions. Disney knows that you are never going to “perk” people into going or not. That ended because the Iger regime have driven the prices so high there is no sense in trying to lure in business.
To be clear, Disney's data from their quarterly and annual reports strongly suggests that the introduction of DME in 2005 was a cost-effective investment that helped WDW recover from the post-9/11 doldrums.

DME worked in 2005. However, corporate Disney is now questioning DME's effectiveness in 2021.

Reiterating something I posted earlier, if this turns into a bad financial decision for Disney, we'll see DME quickly return.

Wendy Pleakley

And that uncertainty is what makes this all the more confusing. Nothing about the timing of the DME announcement make sense, considering the actual impact is potentially more than 1 year out.

I'm sure they have a contract, thus they couldn't just terminate the agreement. That's why it will continue to the end of 2021. I'd wager they'd have ended it sooner if they could do so without penalty.

This may be COVID related. For a lot of people, it's going to be more than a year or two to recover to the point they have discretionary money to spend on a WDW vacation. It's not unrealistic to think 2022 will be a slow year for tourism, and ME just won't be as useful as it is now.

donsullivan

Premium Member

Word is that they are getting ready to open 2022 bookings very soon and needed to have this out there before those started.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm aware one of the reasons behind ME was to help keep people in the bubble.

I wonder if they've simply decided this isn't as realistic a proposition any more. With ride sharing being convenient and affordable, combined with Harry Potter making Universal a must-do for families, the number of people willing to only do Disney has surely decreased.

The only thing still keeping people on property is perhaps the ticket pricing structure.

Right?? “There’s more competition, so let’s discontinue a service that keeps people on property but announce resort guests can get into the parks 30 minutes early. That will keep the sheep... errr... guests coming in!”

Whichever “genius” green-lit this decision (I understand it’s a contract thing) should be fired.

ParentsOf4

Trial balloon.

If there's an outcry now, if 2022 bookings are soft, Disney can quickly bring back DME without severe financial impact.

Frankly, it puts Disney in a stronger negotiating position with Mears. "Well... We're thinking of maybe bringing back DME but you're asking too much money..."

Jrb1979

I keep hearing that people book almost a year in advance. They must also not think that bookings are going to return to pre-Covid levels for awhile.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Are they getting ready to open 2022 bookings? Because that usually happens in summer, right?

Or are they trying to let the anger over this subside BEFORE they open bookings in a few months?
Interestingly it seems that post pandemic travel planning is extremely hot right now. I guess there is much pent up demand. But as to the reality of when that pent up demand can be transformed into actual travel is anyone's guess. If so, this change most affects the repeat guests that know about MDE and frequent WDW, and who are probably yearning to get back to WDW. As to whether it changes anyones eventual plans, who know...But it certainly doesn't help build the WDW brand....right now anway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be clear, Disney's data from their quarterly and annual reports strongly suggests that the introduction of DME in 2005 was a cost-effective investment that helped WDW recover from the post-9/11 doldrums.

DME worked in 2005. However, corporate Disney is now questioning DME's effectiveness in 2021.

Reiterating something I posted earlier, if this turns into a bad financial decision for Disney, we'll see DME quickly return.

Those quarterly reports are opinions of the numbers...not the same thing as the numbers.

And in that case...it may have helped. But 2005 was the main inflation of the housing bubble. 2005-2007. Everyone was rich!!!

It’s not that hard.

But that’s just the point. This is recession time...all cuts, no builds, higher prices for less.

It is what it is.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I'm sure they have a contract, thus they couldn't just terminate the agreement. That's why it will continue to the end of 2021. I'd wager they'd have ended it sooner if they could do so without penalty.

This may be COVID related. For a lot of people, it's going to be more than a year or two to recover to the point they have discretionary money to spend on a WDW vacation. It's not unrealistic to think 2022 will be a slow year for tourism, and ME just won't be as useful as it is now.
Contractual agreements versus public announcements are two totally different things. Disney could have waited till the day before suspension of services and announced it, even if they knew contractually the service would end months or years prior.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Interestingly it seems that post pandemic travel planning is extremely hot right now. I guess there is much pent up demand. But as to the reality of when that pent up demand can be transformed into actual travel is anyone's guess. If so, this change most affect the repeat guests that know about MDE and frequent WDW, and who are probably yearning to get back to WDW. As to whether is changes anyones eventual plans, who know...But it certainly doesn't help build the WDW brand....right now anway.

I agree with this.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Trial balloon.

If there's an outcry now, if 2022 bookings are soft, Disney can quickly bring back DME without severe financial impact.

Frankly, it puts Disney in a stronger negotiating position with Mears. "Well... We're thinking of maybe bringing back DME but you're asking too much money..."

Anyone want to be a mole for Mears on this site? 😉

“So, Disney, we hear your bookings are down after you announced the end of DME...” 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom