Disney's House Gone

TheBullseye

Original Poster
This evening, my friends and I went out to 1249 Tripp Ave, Chicago Illinois. That was the birthplace of Walt Disney. We expected to see the place where the magic was born, but instead, we saw a row of apartment complexes. 2 houses away, and across the street, they were all old style houses. They tore down Disney's house!!! This made everyone of us mad, but it's okay, we'll be in WDW in a few days.

I'm guessing it was something that was taken down a long time ago, long before his death. (This is just speculation) Probably torn down, had something built where it stood, and then had that torn down in place of the apartments that you saw. I heard something and I don't remember exactly, but I think his studio in Kansas City is in a building that is run down now and not used.....I really don't remember tho'.....:veryconfu

FrumiousBoojum

I thought there was a group that had purchased the Kansas City studio... heard about a yearly fund-raising event that the organization holds in order to restore the studio and turn it into a bit of a Walt museum, too.

diz420

disneys house

I just wanted to check in.
I found out that the address was changed to 2156 N. Tripp. . is there anyone that can check on this address?

diz420

Just found This...

Little-known Disney landmark

2156 North Tripp Ave

Chicago
IL

Nearest Train Station Blue Line, Logan Square stop
Neighborhood Logan Square/Humboldt Park
This site is of great interest to Disney buffs and animation fans alike. Disney's father, Elias, had wanderlust in his bones, moving across the country in search of a better life for his growing family. In 1892, he settled on Chicago's North Side and built this house to his wife's specifications. Rumor has it that Elias was a carpenter on the World's Exposition. Walt Disney attended McKinley High School and later took classes at the Art Institute of Chicago.

The city considers declaring this house a landmark building; however, the family who lives here resists the idea in the interest of privacy. Please use common sense, and do not disturb them on your visit.

I found it on OAG.com under chicago-visiting the city...there are lots of landmarks its near the bottom..

Cant find a pic though-stay tuned......

fosse76

Little-known Disney landmark

2156 North Tripp Ave

Chicago
IL

Nearest Train Station Blue Line, Logan Square stop
Neighborhood Logan Square/Humboldt Park
This site is of great interest to Disney buffs and animation fans alike. Disney's father, Elias, had wanderlust in his bones, moving across the country in search of a better life for his growing family. In 1892, he settled on Chicago's North Side and built this house to his wife's specifications. Rumor has it that Elias was a carpenter on the World's Exposition. Walt Disney attended McKinley High School and later took classes at the Art Institute of Chicago.

The city considers declaring this house a landmark building; however, the family who lives here resists the idea in the interest of privacy. Please use common sense, and do not disturb them on your visit.

I found it on OAG.com under chicago-visiting the city...there are lots of landmarks its near the bottom..

Cant find a pic though-stay tuned......

Actually, the reason the house wasn't officially landmarked was political. Disney was accused of being racist, and by preserving his house critics felt the city would be supporting his alleged racist views. Had it been officially landmarked it would most likely still be standing. Though landmark status does not prevent the owner from altering or demolishing the property.

TTARider

Actually, the reason the house wasn't officially landmarked was political. Disney was accused of being racist, and by preserving his house critics felt the city would be supporting his alleged racist views. Had it been officially landmarked it would most likely still be standing. Though landmark status does not prevent the owner from altering or demolishing the property.
As a History major and a huge history fan this makes me sick...

rob0519

Yes, I know I'm bumping an 8 year old thread.https://d23.com/d23-event/d23s-behind-the-scenes-experience-a-return-to-walts-birthplace/

D23’s Behind-the-Scenes Experience: A Return to Walt’s Birthplace 06/03/2017
http://www.thewaltdisneybirthplace.org

Chicago, Illinois
D23 returns to the Windy City to check in on the historic restoration project currently underway at The Walt Disney Birthplace! The event will kick-off at the Logan Theatre with a special presentation by members of The Walt Disney Birthplace restoration team. Guests will hear a brief history on the home, learn about the progress made so far, and be among the first to see plans for its future! Attendees will then board a bus, head over to the home, and enjoy a Chicago-style picnic in the backyard. After lunch, guests will receive a D23-exclusive tour of the home and check out the restoration progress first hand!

My daughter and I have had the experience of attending two tours run by D23 of the restoration of Walt's birthplace in the last 18 months. The home is being fully restored and will have museum quality attractions to show what life would have been like in 1893. Completion is still a long way off, but progress is being made.

rob0519

D23 than and now.jpg
D23 event.jpg

brb1006

Bumping this thread, since there's an entire website called "The Walt Disney Birthplace Museum" that was established in 2013.

The website and project is dedicated to a currently ongoing restoration process of Walt's childhood home. Walt's Home is currently planned on becoming a museum. I don't want to ramble on, but there's more information about the project on their website along with various news interviews and social media accounts. They recently completed the interior and exterior of the house as of December 2018. But there's still more work to be done according to their latest updates.

Mouse Trap

I wonder if they'll do anything with the home(s) he had while in Los Angeles. Last time I went to the "first" Los Feliz home it was behind fences. There's always back and fourth about it being demolished, but still no resolutions.

RaveOnEd

People need to stop weaponizing artifacts for their own agenda.
What's even worse is that the accusations of Walt being racist or antisemitic have been debunked time and time again. It's just a desire for some to rewrite history to their own view and to take down those who made themselves great.

Walt built an entertainment empire from nothing, not to mention being working class, living in an almost penniless existence from time to time, and gave the world magic and smiles that people could find comfort in when the world isn't that good to them sometimes.

One person, starting with nothing, making something of himself and prospering using his own talents and abilities. If nothing else, things like his boyhood home should be a symbol for what anyone should aspire to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom