Disney's Hollywood Studios vs Universal Studios Florida

Better park?

• Total voters

jpinkc

Yeah that was our one big Critique of UO was all the screens gave me headaches. But Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley made it all butterbeer errr better.

Andrew25

Hollywood Studios is better... BUT USF overlaps it whenever there's an event going on.

Diagon is the best theme park land created (not ride, just the land itself).
Tower of Terror is the best ride ever created.
USF & DHS have poor food, but DHS gets the bonus point for Ronto Wraps and Sci-Fi Dine-In.
There are parts of USF where nothing is happening, it's just so empty and outdated.
DHS & USF have little to no shade and are unbearable in August/September.
With the recent changes to Indy, Indy & Bourne are now tied for best stunt show.

USF's advantage is their events. Mardi Gras & Holiday stuff is WAY better than any seasonal event the Disney parks have. Not moving Osbourne somewhere else in the property is a true bummer. And Horror Nights is the best seasonal event in Orlando.

jpinkc

Hollywood Studios is better... BUT USF overlaps it whenever there's an event going on.

Diagon is the best theme park land created (not ride, just the land itself).
Tower of Terror is the best ride ever created.
USF & DHS have poor food, but DHS gets the bonus point for Ronto Wraps and Sci-Fi Dine-In.
There are parts of USF where nothing is happening, it's just so empty and outdated.
DHS & USF have little to no shade and are unbearable in August/September.
With the recent changes to Indy, Indy & Bourne are now tied for best stunt show.

USF's advantage is their events. Mardi Gras & Holiday stuff is WAY better than any seasonal event the Disney parks have. Not moving Osbourne somewhere else in the property is a true bummer. And Horror Nights is the best seasonal event in Orlando.
On the food front 50's Prime Time would like a word with you. I will give you they have the better Holiday stuff I have only been during Mardi Gras but know people who have been several times for Halloween and they rave about it.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
See I see this forum as a Disney information site first, fan site second. We are fans of WDW, but we also appreciate good theme parks and rides. It's more like being on a Ford site and saying, hey did you see what Tesla is putting out and appreciating that, and hopeful that Ford might make something with some of the aspects of the Tesla vehicle.
I like WDW resort overall more that Uni, but there are specific things about Uni I prefer, and that's ok. It also beats coming on here and expecting to just read "Gee wow, that Disney World is some swell amazing place" posts all the time.
Exactly right. @eliza61nyc this is why ^

WishIWasRetired

I was at Universal studios two weeks ago and I found the park to be nice and clean, however after the 3rd simulated screen ride, I just felt like they were mailing it in the ride department. I never really felt immersed in any of the rides because I was being jerked around as quick as possible in front of a screen. Both ET and MIB were good, but they could use a little updating.

Archle456

Choosing between Disney's Hollywood Studios and Universal Studios Florida depends on personal preferences. Disney's Hollywood Studios offers a magical experience with beloved characters and immersive attractions, while Universal Studios Florida provides thrilling rides and a focus on popular franchises. Both parks have their unique charm, making it a matter of individual taste and the type of entertainment one seeks.

FettFan

Hollywood Studios lost me when Iger decided it needed to be Spaceballs The Theme Park.

They should have redeveloped it into different lands for different studios under the Disney banner.
But no. It’s a hodgepodge of random stuff with barely any rhyme or reason.

UNCgolf

USF was much better in the 1990s and early 2000s to be honest. Nowadays it's nothing short of a bunch of boring screen rides, sans Hogsmeade.

USF was definitely much better with the old attraction lineup; Diagon Alley is really the only improvement there and that still required losing a great attraction.

Thing is, DHS was a better park back then too. But current DHS is better than current USF.

Last edited:

mergatroid

OK, I don't know what to say if you think Vivo, Mythos, Toothsome, Palm and the kitchen are bad. I agree you don't eat counter service in Universal but that is true of parks everywhere for me. In the parks I enjoy Finn's and have never had a bad meal at Confisco but I hear reports there, in park Mythos is my go to and the beef medallions are wonderful with first class service.
I think he's specifying what's in Universal Studios excluding City Walk and IOA.

JoeCamel

I think he's specifying what's in Universal Studios excluding City Walk and IOA.
But that's not how it works, CityWalk was created to compliment the parks not be a destination you take a bus to. The mindset of only in the parks gets you Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bills and when it is a five minute walk to the restaurant its all part of the same.

mergatroid

But that's not how it works, CityWalk was created to compliment the parks not be a destination you take a bus to. The mindset of only in the parks gets you Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bills and when it is a five minute walk to the restaurant its all part of the same.
Hey, I'm not making the rules. The OP said if you could only go to one park so I assume they're talking about the parks and what's in them, rather what you pass on the way to them? Just a guess on my part, maybe the OP can clarify? Mythos which was mentioned is in IOA.

celluloid

Only one park is still a movie studio park in spirit and actual production.(yes, small sitcoms and game shows count)

If that does not bother you, that is cool, but only one is doing much with Studio in the name in the last five years.

MickeyLuv'r

Hollywood Studios is a more attractive park overall with better dining.
Have you tried the new Minions Cafe? For a QS, it has excellent theming, and the food is also decent. Mind, the menu is a bit limited, so if you don't happen to like the foods offered, that's understandable, but what we ordered was quite good. Quite a bit better than most WDW QS, though we do like the food at Docking Bay 7.

I also LOVE the new Minions popsicles. The mango and mint-lime are my favorites.

MickeyLuv'r

I think for me a big part of the current experience is that going back at least 4 years HS is just...mucked up. If one ride goes down, the whole park gets gummed up. Touring= miserable waits. Even on a day when everything is up, park touring is often a frustrating mess. If you don't buy G+, you are stuck in very slow-moving lines all day. If you do buy G+, you get crap for options after 11:30am. If you don't get Slinky, you aren't going on it. Rise, is not worth the wait, nor is it worth $25+ per person. Our last 3-4 visits, we've also had a miserably long delay just getting in the gate. The lines just did not move. It took over half an hour. Every visit over the last 4 years, we had some type of really frustrating touring experience at HS.

Whereas touring Universal is easy and relaxed, especially with EP. You just go on any ride you want, whenever you want. Even without it, we usually do pretty well. Most recently, we used the AP entrance and had no wait at all entering the park at rope drop.

Granted, Transformers and Fast&Furious are particularly bad rides.

For food, I'd say eating at Universal is also easy. While yes, many of the places I like to eat are outside the park, going from Citywalk and back to the park is so easy, I don't give it much thought. At WDW, eating outside the park, even the nearest hotel, takes a good chunk of time. For a long time, we did just that on our HS days, but we like Docking Bay 7. US has some bad places to eat, but they also have quite a few we like. Finn's is good, the new Minions Cafe is fun, and we'll happily get a sandwich at Breadbox if we have not eaten in the park.

Animaniac93-98

Have you tried the new Minions Cafe? For a QS, it has excellent theming, and the food is also decent.

I have now and it is cute. Also ate some things from the bakery next door.

I also LOVE the new Minions popsicles. The mango and mint-lime are my favorites.

Wanted to try these, but didn't get around to it. Next time for sure.

BasiltheBatLord

This is super easy to me. DHS is a fairly strong park now as far as attractions go, although it still continues to suffer from wider identity problems.

USF is in a really sorry state right now. The last couple attractions (Villain Con, F&F, Fallon) were all big misses IMO. Villan Con in particular is one of the worst attractions I think I've ever experienced at a major theme park.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom