Disney's Hollywood Studios testing restrictions on FastPass+ selections

CTXRover

I must say this is a disappointing change. I really enjoyed FP+ and the bands on our trip in October. However, the restrictions at Epcot and now DHS make it a much less favorable alternative to the old system in my opinion. At least the potential of getting FP for TSM, TOT and RNR all in one day existed with the old paper FP system. Hopefully the system will continue to be modified as paper FP is phased out. It sounds like starting with Pop Century, they will no longer be receiving KTTW cards that can be used to get paper FPs so no more double dipping should be coming soon.

Weather_Lady

Outside of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, how often do the attractions in Group 2 have a significant wait?

It's like the Epcot "Tier 2" attractions (and, I assume will be the same for AK and MK when WDW gets around to devaluing the FP+s there with a tier system) -- you're right, they don't have a significant wait. The fact that they now have FP+ will increase the wait times for those attractions a bit, but the aim is to increase FP+ "capacity" so there are enough FP+ for each guest to have 3 per day, and there aren't enough "headliner" attractions with which to do it, so less popular attractions have been rigged for FP+.

The net result is that guests as a whole will spend the same total amount of time in line each day, but their individual wait times will theoretically be more equal across the board, instead of some guests spending lots of time in lines and others spending little. (The family who never bothered to use traditional FP or show up at rope drop will now wait less for 2 or 3 of their attractions each day -- my family, which used to show up early, make frequent use of FP and experience certain headliners more than once per day, will spend significantly more time in line -- 2-3 hours extra per day, by my reckoning, when you add the inflated wait times of former walk-ons, especially during the first hour of the day when legacy FP didn't used to schedule return times for its attractions but FP+ will, plus the extra time we'll spend in standby lines for "tier 1" attractions after our ardly FP+ "allotment" runs out.) But I'm not bitter. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jlandis44

We're here this week, and Epcot is using this system. Kinda stinks. The other thing to note is don't use a fastpass on Lights Motor Stunt Show. We had one left, and kid want to watch show. I set up a fastpass since we knew time would be close. No point. Turns out the fastpass line dumps you in with the masses behind the stadium. I had assumed our own section, or some other benefit. Not so.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
This was the way it was at the beginning of testing. I wonder if it is "needed" at MK or AK? The two parks that all the complaints have been about are DHS and Epcot.

PolynesianPrincess

We're here this week, and Epcot is using this system. Kinda stinks. The other thing to note is don't use a fastpass on Lights Motor Stunt Show. We had one left, and kid want to watch show. I set up a fastpass since we knew time would be close. No point. Turns out the fastpass line dumps you in with the masses behind the stadium. I had assumed our own section, or some other benefit. Not so.

Same thing with Fantasmic. Don't waste a FP on that! We did last week and showed up at 6:10 because our return time said 5:55pm-6:25pm and in September we had our own section for just FP+ guests... Not anymore! We were told to sit with the rest of the masses. So FP is USELESS for F! I was beyond livid it didn't explain this on the website.

SyracuseOrange

Last week, I was able to use my KTTW and AP to get 2 FPs for EE when I was in DAK, even though I also had a FP+ for that attraction.

But I'm surprised they put BATB in the first group at DHS and Star Tours & ToT in the second...

SyracuseOrange

Same thing with Fantasmic. Don't waste a FP on that! We did last week and showed up at 6:10 because our return time said 5:55pm-6:25pm and in September we had our own section for just FP+ guests... Not anymore! We were told to sit with the rest of the masses. So FP is USELESS for F! I was beyond livid it didn't explain this on the website.
This made me kinda upset too. I did FP+ for Nemo and Fantasmic on my trip last week, assuming there would be reserved seating. When I should up and asked where the seating was, I was told "it's just a reserved spot." So....nothing. Unless it's a really busy day, I see no point in doing these on FP+.

However, I will say that the reserved area for Illuminations was awesome. Hope that doesn't go away.

JohnD

Don't like it. I upgraded to the Seasonal Pass from the FR Weekday pass upon entering. As soon as I did that, I Iogged into MDE from my phone and my FP+ selections for Star Tours, Midway Mania, and ToT in that order. I could care less about FP+ for shows. I just scheduled FP+ for rides around them and went to the shows I wanted to go to. I think FP+ for shows is pretty pointless when they can fit hundreds of people and you arrive early enough to grab a seat for the time you want to see it.

Weather_Lady

Not good, not good at all.

AK is next and they'll make us choose between Everest and the Safari... Just watch.

Agreed. And in the MK (if they do what they did at the beginning of testing -- as far as I can tell the HS tiers are identical to those that were tested early on), you'll get to choose no more than two (that was when they were testing 4 FP+ per day -- if they stick with 3 you may get only one...) of Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Princess M&G, Mickey M&G, Enchanted Tales, Peter Pan, Electrical Parade and Wishes -- I assume they'll add 7DMT to that first tier once it opens.

My family used to FP every single one of those 9 attractions (not the parades/fireworks, obviously) at least once over a 2-day visit. We are so screwed.

LucyK

At least ToT is on another tier at least. I wouldn't spend my FP+ on either B&B or Fantasmic (always use the Fantasmic Dinner package for that one) so now the question is where else will we spend our third selection.

For those who though FP+ would stop the running to TSMM after rope drop, think again. People still will run there in the mornings to get a second ride out of it.

LucyK

Agreed. And in the MK (if they do what they did at the beginning of testing), you'll get to choose no more than two (that was when they were testing 4 FP+ per day -- if they stick with 3 you may get only one...) of Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Princess M&G, Mickey M&G, Enchanted Tales, Electrical Parade, Peter Pan and Wishes -- I assume they'll add 7DMT once it opens.

My family used to FP every single one of these attractions at least once over a 2-day visit. We are so screwed.
Same for us :confused:

You can bet 7DMT will be a first tier FP+ together with the mountains and the princess M&G. They want us free to roam the shops and buy more stuff but they forget they are forcing us to endure more and more lines. This makes me SO mad :banghead:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's like the Epcot "Tier 2" attractions (and, I assume will be the same for AK and MK when WDW gets around to devaluing the FP+s there with a tier system) -- you're right, they don't have a significant wait. The fact that they now have FP+ will increase the wait times for those attractions a bit, but the aim is to increase FP+ "capacity" so there are enough FP+ for each guest to have 3 per day, and there aren't enough "headliner" attractions with which to do it, so less popular attractions have been rigged for FP+.

The net result is that guests as a whole will spend the same total amount of time in line each day, but their individual wait times will theoretically be more equal across the board, instead of some guests spending lots of time in lines and others spending little. (The family who never bothered to use traditional FP or show up at rope drop will now wait less for 2 or 3 of their attractions each day -- my family, which used to show up early, make frequent use of FP and experience certain headliners more than once per day, will spend significantly more time in line -- 2-3 hours extra per day, by my reckoning, when you add the inflated wait times of former walk-ons, especially during the first hour of the day when legacy FP didn't used to schedule return times for its attractions but FP+ will, plus the extra time we'll spend in standby lines for "tier 1" attractions after our ardly FP+ "allotment" runs out.) But I'm not bitter. :rolleyes:

Or just find something else to do...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
My hope is that the warehouse that holds all the paper for the legacy fastpasses burns down in the middle of the night when no one is around. Then, early the following morning some horrific glitch causes all fastpass plus reservations to be lost. Suddenly, lines are moving at a pace that almost seems akin to jogging. During the day some waits get incredibly long, but during the morning and evening there are suddenly times when the waits aren't that bad. Everything else seems like a piece of cake. Realization slowly dawns on people that they can now wander around in what appears to be a haphazard manner doing whatever interests them. The fact that things are moving slowly at Sci Fi isn't a big deal since you no longer feel that your one chance to ride ToT is gone. To many parental units surprise, many a kid is ready for single rider at RnR or TT if it means they can get a lot of rides in. A man who has only ridden EE using fastpass has a mild cardiac event after he realizes that the queue may be better than the ride. A group like epiphany occurs in MK and everyone starts to giggle at once when they realize that the idea of booking a reservation for IaSW months in advance was actually considered. CMs realize that people in standby are no longer agitated and they don't have to deal with people waving smart phones or pages of hand written notes at them when the Mickey circle doesn't spin and turn green. An executive actually says, "You know, maybe a few more well done family friendly rides would reduce the wait at TSMM". What was old is now new and everyone realizes that indeed, a whole new world has revealed itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom