Disney's Hollyday/Horrorwood Studios?

Teenchy

With DHS receiving Night of Joy and perhaps another hard ticket as well I think that it would be a bit of overkill. Especially since they would be competing against themselves for both events unless of course the MK decides to drop more.

**Serious thread drift ahead**

Is the move of NOJ official?? Would not have the same "magic" at DHS.....The difference in seeing your favorite bands in front of the castle vs. the Hat ...:cry:

comics101

I don't see why Disney can't do something scary... As stated above, it would probably have appeal to the teen audience than any other, and i'm not sure how much this group enjoys MNSSHP... I don't think it would cause Disney to loose money bc of it, and I would love a Nightmare Before Christmas attraction! I think it could be even more awesome if they expanded it into a Villiansland, and maybe opened attractions based around Disney's collection of villians...

WDWFigment

Original Poster
The reason Disney can't do something this scary? Alien Encounter.

Sure, it may have been in the MK, but that attraction proves that people don't heed warnings Disney gives about the scary nature of something because, "they're in WDW, it can't be that bad." People with kids would attend the events, thinking they wouldn't be too scary, and then would complain like crazy when their kids were frightened.

Along the same lines, this is why it would be difficult for Disney to compete with Universal's event. Disney may be able to do it better, but the Disney name is synonymous with family. If you're a teen/young adult living in Central Florida looking for an 'adult' event, why risk having a bad time at a "new" event by the Disney corporation that you figure will be tame when you have a sure fire bet in Universal's event. I know I wouldn't want to take a $60 gamble if I were a high school student.

So, in short, Disney's name and accompanying reputation precludes it from doing certain things and raises certain expectations. Holding the event in DHS instead of MK isn't a big enough distinction to make a difference. It doesn't remove the event from the Disney rep., and certainly isn't worth the long term repercussions.

disnyfan89

To add fuel to the fire I thought I would add this picture to the discussion.

gu092707y.jpg

This picture is from the new Main Street Haunted Hotel maze at HKDL.

I have no doubt in my mind that Disney could take on HHN *IF* they wanted too. I also wouldn't worry about a new event of this type (if done right) by Disney falling flat on its face. Just look at Howl-o-Scream at BG. I think if marketed right and executed effectively Disney could pull this off. As to families bringing children into the event Disney could always be the first in Orlando to apply a no one 13 and under allowed rule.

ImaYoyo

**Serious thread drift ahead**

Is the move of NOJ official?? Would not have the same "magic" at DHS.....The difference in seeing your favorite bands in front of the castle vs. the Hat ...:cry:
Yes, all of the NOJ materials have been updated (including the website). It should be a great move though, as the event should flow much better and offer guests MUCH better viewing of the concerts! If you saw the fantasyland stage this year, you know how bad some of the viewing and traffic issues were. The studios is just much better prepared for a concert-type setting.

comics101

The reason Disney can't do something this scary? Alien Encounter.

Sure, it may have been in the MK, but that attraction proves that people don't heed warnings Disney gives about the scary nature of something because, "they're in WDW, it can't be that bad." People with kids would attend the events, thinking they wouldn't be too scary, and then would complain like crazy when their kids were frightened.

Along the same lines, this is why it would be difficult for Disney to compete with Universal's event. Disney may be able to do it better, but the Disney name is synonymous with family. If you're a teen/young adult living in Central Florida looking for an 'adult' event, why risk having a bad time at a "new" event by the Disney corporation that you figure will be tame when you have a sure fire bet in Universal's event. I know I wouldn't want to take a $60 gamble if I were a high school student.

So, in short, Disney's name and accompanying reputation precludes it from doing certain things and raises certain expectations. Holding the event in DHS instead of MK isn't a big enough distinction to make a difference. It doesn't remove the event from the Disney rep., and certainly isn't worth the long term repercussions.

As Disneyfan said, just put an age limit on it. I do agree that Disney's name and reputation is on the line in DHS just as much as it is in MK, and would expect great Detail and fun if they were to do an event like this. However, there's nothing wrong with doing a more "adult" type event in DHS. A great example is Pleasure Island. If I'm not mistaken (I may be bc I've never been there) there's an age limit and it's geared to adults. Do the same in the studios, just make it Disney Quality...

Figment571

I'm sure that there are people who would love to do a scarier event for Halloween. That seems to be a holiday that is gaining more and more attention and Disney could tap into it more than they are.

I-4Warrior

There is a huge teens-twentys crowd (the Hot Topic shoppers, if you will) who would bust down the gates for an NBC ride at MGM...errr... DHS. It seems to be a lost opportunity. Heaven knows, they carry enough merchandise in the gift shops, they might as well tie it in with a quality attraction.

It almost seems to me that Disney is surrendering the tween audience to Universal around Halloween without a fight. There is no reason that they can't do a teen or above targeted Halloween party at MGM to compete with HHN. Let families with younger ones hit MNSSHP, let those who actually like some spook-factor with their Halloween go to another, more intense offering. My wife and I are going out to the Epcot for Food and Wine Festival this weekend, but we're leaving the World at night to go to HHN at Universal. This is our yearly journey to the U, and our only reason for doing so during the calendar year. We aren't the only ones, and this is a failure in the battle for Disney, by not keeping people on property. People were going to Wet N' Wild and Water Mania, let's build two more water parks. People were leaving for Church Street Station, let's build Pleasure Island. People were leaving for Holiday Inn, let's build value resorts. People are leaving for HHN? Make one of your own (NOT MNSSHP).

For those who are squeemish, HHN is not your thing. For those who may doubt its quality, do not, it is exceptional and on par with anything you'll see at any park. It is really incredible and since they've had experience doing it for almost 20 years, I don't know that Disney can step in and do a better job, but we and they won't know unless they try.

JimboJones123

I am really down with Heroes being part of a ride, although I don't know why they would do this without even trying to put together an Incredibles ride????

Also a part of it could be Chuck and make it like Buzz/MIB, but the new Toy Story ride will already have that in the park????

I know I can't ge me enough Texas High School Football though, so I really hope that they add a Friday Night Lights part. Maybe something about kids sneeking back across the border with their 'roids????

But most importantly, ER definatly needs to be in a theme park. I do hope they show respect to some of the older cast, Batman and Gilbert especially!!!!

Could be an ineresting mash of products. Would fit nicely with GMR as well. First a Movie ride, then a Television ride. Really working that "Hollywood" studios angle huh????

Chux

Disney can do scary, Inside the Magic had a report from HKDL this week about the Haunted Hotel and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. Wish there was more media around for the HK festivities.

We’re going to Universal a day before our Disney Cruise (The 27th) I’m gonna try to factor HHN into it, since we’ve been to MNSSHP for the past 3 years.

Lexxweb

My $.02,

Disney appeals to kids and families. If you're a teen/adult and you venture into Disneyworld it's probably because you had childhood memories there. However, teenagers are changing. They seek new thrills that Disney can't produce because it might be "too" scary.
If you haven't caught on, I'm talking about Halloween Horror Nights. Universal's cash cow. Universal just sits there and laughs as thousands of teenagers and adults pour into their park each halloween while Disney can't bank on it because Not-So-Scary doesn't appeal to the same demographic. How do we solve this problem? Compete.
Not all of Disney is family friendly, don't know what genius said that. Ever look at Pleasure Island? Pretty much a good chunk of Downtown Disney becomes a teen/adult hangout past 9PM. Families have already had their dinner and are probably back at their hotel.
Teens and adults are a huge demographic that Disney could easily bank on. They could make so much money and rip HHN right out from Universal's feet. If they're going to let a few ignorant parents/tourists stop them, then that is a shame. Perhaps the first year make it a seperately ticketed event with an age limit. BAM! There goes the problem. Any parents that complain can be told "This event is too scary for children, sorry".
Or if Disney will let anybody in they should tell people with children at the turnstiles that the event is scary. Better yet, when they're buying tickets, OR if the commercials, billboards, ads, etc. look really scary and have "NOT FOR CHILDREN" printed so everyone can see it, that should help to.
In conclusion, Disney is letting a potential opportunity for easy money fly right past them. Get on the bandwagon and produce a few haunted houses for 2008, Disney. You'll be glad you did.

P.S. - What is the deal with Nightmare Before Christmas? It was a creepy film, but it wasn't scary. It's not something you'd find at HHN. It would be pathetic if the halloween event focused on Disney villans or Jack Skellington. Lame. Gore, Chainsaws, Fog, etc. is needed at an event to compete with HHN, not Jack Skellington.

:cool: Lexxweb

djkidkaz

Have you been to Downtown Disney lately? It sucks! There is noone there. Disney is expected to be family friendly and when its not, they don't do well. Disney won't try to compete with Universal on the Halloween front, just like they don't try and compete with Six Flags on the thrill ride front. Out of those 3 companies, who's doing the best? Thats right, Disney! :king:

darthjohnny

Have you been to Downtown Disney lately? It sucks! There is noone there. Disney is expected to be family friendly and when its not, they don't do well. Disney won't try to compete with Universal on the Halloween front, just like they don't try and compete with Six Flags on the thrill ride front. Out of those 3 companies, who's doing the best? Thats right, Disney! :king:

While I agree that it is the common mindset of people that Disney is more family friendly, I believe Disney is capable of creating things such as a horror event or gigantic thrill ride.

But Disney chooses not to go that route because it is not them.

coasterphil

u think more people go to universal's horror nights than magic kingdom's not-so-scary parties?

HHN is definitely more popular, and it actually brings people to the resort. If Universal didn't have the HHN cash cow, they'd be in even more trouble than they are right now. It fills the resorts and sells Express Passes and alcohol (which are basically pure profit). I don't know many people who come to WDW for a weekend just to experience MNSSHP, because other than the parade and fireworks it doesn't have much to offer that's different from a normal night. Sure some Floridians come out for it, but the majority of the guests were already down here for a vacation and tacked that event on.

Enderikari

What do you all think?

That Jim Hill doesn't know his @#$% from a hole in the ground, and now he proves it on an almost weekly (or should I say, weakly?) basis. Seriously, there is not enough salt produced in a year for the level of granularity that you would have to take him.
In all honesty, he should be forced to write a letter of apology to anyone who has visited his site in the the last 4 years, due to his lack of discretion, his lack of contacts, his lack of any REAL knowledge about the goings-on at any of the Disney Theme Parks.

What? You asked what I think

disney1266

I agree. Disney needs something to compete with HHN at Universal. I have been to HHN the past 2 years and this year was totally packed with lines at least 1 1/2-2 hours deep. Talk about the money potential for Disney to create something of the same nature. Disney's MNSSHP is kind of lame and I am a total Disney fanatic. But for the money and what you get (a few pieces of candy at each stop) and only 5 hours in the park, it's not worth it. MGM could be transformed and the backlots could be really the focal point of the night. Come on Disney, step up to the plate and show Universal that you are the #1 theme park with the Halloween theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom