Disney's Grand Californian opinions

AGentlRose

Original Poster
Anytime I've been to Disneyland, we've always stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. This time (Sept 13 to 17), I made a res. for the Grand Californian.
Has anyone stayed at the GC and would like to give their opinions? All views are welcomed.

susan5027

My husband and I stayed there for the first time last summer in early August. We too had always stayed at the Disneyland Hotel---with the kids. We spent 5 wonderful days and 4 nights away from our now teenage kids.

We found the service, rooms, house keeping, park view, lobby, restaurants and Hearth lounge all amazing. The price for all of this? Yikes!! But, at least we can say we stayed there once.

Here was the best deal we found at the hotel and for the entire resort. We bought one breakfast burrito, some fruit, and two cups of coffee from the White Water Snacks shop. The burritos are huge-easily big enough to split in half which kept the price per person a true bargain. With newspaper in hand, we took our breakfast up to our room where we enjoyed the early morning, sitting on our balcony, soaking up the view while sharing the burrito and fruit. Who would have thunk the cheapest meal was at the most expensive hotel? :)

I highly recommend eating at the Napa Rose, if you haven't. Service and food again are great. We prefer the Hearth lounge for its warm atmosphere and comfort over the Napa Rose.

Overall, if we're with the kids, it's the Disneyland Hotel. If it's just the two of us, oh how the Grand Californian calls us!

Hope this helps, even if a little.
Enjoy your stay! I'm jealous.

Wilt Dasney

Never stayed there, but I was the most impressed with it of the 3 DLR hotels just from a quick tour. Seemed to have a nice lodge feel on the inside, where the other 2 felt like hotels (nice hotels, but still hotels). Plus, I love how it has entrances directly into both California Adventure and Downtown Disney, without seeming out of place in either one.

AGentlRose

Original Poster
Thanks, we're so looking forward to this. It will be a short visit, just 3 nights, but since we live less than 5 hours away, we're going back in October when both the Haunted Mansion Holidays and the Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy are up and running.

Snapper Bean

I just returned from a 9 night stay at the Grand Californian and I think it is fabulous. You really can't beat the convenience of the private entrance in the DCA or the short walk to Disneyland. The rooms are decent size but not extravagant. Service was excellent always as was the theming. I think its worth it.

worldfanatic

I've stayed there twice, with a 3rd trip planned for Feb.
I've also stayed several times at the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier.

There's no comparison, the Grand Californian is far and away the best.

I actually think it's Disney's best hotel on American soil (haven't been to foreign parks).
And I say that as a WDW resort maniac. I live and breathe the Disney resorts (far more than the parks themselves).
In fact, I'm leaving sunday for a 6 night WDW trip with no park visits(just resort touring and Downtown Disney).

The GC is so full of nook and crannies, and it's location connecting to the center of Downtown Disney is amazing. You're gonna love it!!!!

T0TFan

Love it

I love the private entrance to DCA. It makes it alot easier to get into the parks than having to go through the main bag check area. I think this keeps you immersed in the "magic" alot more than the other two hotels since you have to either walk through Downtown Disney from the DL hotel or cross the street from PP.

And I eat at White Water Snacks EVERY time I am at the resort. But don't tell everyone, I like that it is never crowded.

AGentlRose

Original Poster
Sounds great! I can't wait. We did use the private entrance once even though we stayed at Disneyland Hotel, when we were in DCA and wanted to check out the GC hotel. The looooong walk in the evening after the park closes to the Disneyland hotel was tough for me since I have respiratory issues. I know the monorail goes from Tomorrowland to the DTD/DH area, but again with my breathing problems, that monorail ramp in Tomorrowland nearly killed me one night. The station at DTW has an elevator, but I didn't see one in Tomorrowland.

Thanks for all your responses.

Disneyfalcon

I'm late to this party, but I've stayed in the Grand Californian several times, and we have reservations again in October. It's awesome.

Location, beauty, great pool, restaurants...we love it. You will not be disappointed.:)

Sassagoula-Rvr

I stayed there....the price?? DANG...However by far the COOLEST disney resort I ever stayed at.
You can't beat having your own entrance to a park...and even the walk through Downtown Disney was sweet. (the entrance to the GCH is right across from the Hagen Dazs shop...def stopped there everynight before heading up to room!)

Hot4Hudgens

I stayed there for a week. Great place to stay. Great service as well. By far the best of the 3 hotels and smack dab in the middle of everything, be it the parks (the gate to DCA isvery useful) or Downtown Disney.

AGentlRose

Original Poster
I'm here right now and so very satisfied that we left the "safety" of the Disneyland Hotel. The location and the peaceful setting can't be beat. I had reservations for Nov. at DH, and called and changed to here at GC.

Thanks to all who responded. Trip report will be coming when I get home.

sponono88

I'm here right now and so very satisfied that we left the "safety" of the Disneyland Hotel. The location and the peaceful setting can't be beat. I had reservations for Nov. at DH, and called and changed to here at GC.

Thanks to all who responded. Trip report will be coming when I get home.

awesome! :sohappy: enjoy your trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom