Disney's Contemporary Resort to debut new 'Health and Wellness' suites

bugsbunny

I'm not sure how anyone can go to WDW to "relax" and actually make the top destination of your trip "the room". Even if you didn't want to go, you are probably there with your family, so you have to be quite a to tell them to go to the parks and you will stay in the room all day to do yoga. Yoga, really? You came all this way and paid big $$$$$ to enjoy some relaxing yoga in a hotel room? :shrug:

Gas is over $4/gallon and airfare is easily $1000+ for a family, which in most cases is more than the price to stay at a value for 5 days. Hello Disney?? This is the state of the economy and the average American salary, have we met before? Oh that's right, you do our best interest by building the Animation Suites 80-90% the cost of getting 2 rooms, so some how this will also be a perceived bargain and you helping us out?

Other than us on these boards, is there any family able to go to WDW more than once every 2 years even if they can afford that? It seems WDW is taking the Apple approach and simply trying to be a luxury brand anymore. Remember, at one point the "boutique park" would have been the 5th gate. And the AK jungle trek for $200+/head...plus admission to the park?? What's next? Oh that's right a DVC for GF. Does anyone else see the trend here?

Sadly, I'm still hooked and will return for 10 days at the end of October. The power of the Kool Aid is strong. :ROFLOL:

DonaldDoleWhip

Is this the first instance of Disney serving organic food on a relatively large scale at Walt Disney World (and I don't mean just one entree on a menu, but a whole concierge lounge full of organic food)?

Because I'm sure there are lots of people who would be willing to pay for organic food, but aren't nearly wealthy enough to stay in one of these suites for an extended stay. Those rooms were already the most expensive by far at Contemporary.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm not sure how anyone can go to WDW to "relax" and actually make the top destination of your trip "the room". Even if you didn't want to go, you are probably there with your family, so you have to be quite a to tell them to go to the parks and you will stay in the room all day to do yoga. Yoga, really? You came all this way and paid big $$$$$ to enjoy some relaxing yoga in a hotel room? :shrug:

Gas is over $4/gallon and airfare is easily $1000+ for a family, which in most cases is more than the price to stay at a value for 5 days. Hello Disney?? This is the state of the economy and the average American salary, have we met before? Oh that's right, you do our best interest by building the Animation Suites 80-90% the cost of getting 2 rooms, so some how this will also be a perceived bargain and you helping us out?

Other than us on these boards, is there any family able to go to WDW more than once every 2 years even if they can afford that? It seems WDW is taking the Apple approach and simply trying to be a luxury brand anymore. Remember, at one point the "boutique park" would have been the 5th gate. And the AK jungle trek for $200+/head...plus admission to the park?? What's next? Oh that's right a DVC for GF. Does anyone else see the trend here?

Sadly, I'm still hooked and will return for 10 days at the end of October. The power of the Kool Aid is strong. :ROFLOL:

I don't get it. What trend?

Testtrack321

I don't get it. What trend?

The trend of going for the premium to ultra-premium.

It's a short term trend, but not a long term trend. Disney USED to be very expensive, then under Eisner the moderates and value resorts were added. Slowly later in Eisner and Iger we're getting towards more expensive offerings again (Bay Lake, those houses on property, GF DVC, Family Suites.)

It's not a bad trend. The rich will remain rich in any economy. Catering to them is a safe bet.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The trend of going for the premium to ultra-premium.

It's a short term trend, but not a long term trend. Disney USED to be very expensive, then under Eisner the moderates and value resorts were added. Slowly later in Eisner and Iger we're getting towards more expensive offerings again (Bay Lake, those houses on property, GF DVC, Family Suites.)

It's not a bad trend. The rich will remain rich in any economy. Catering to them is a safe bet.

I assumed that is where he was headed. The post was bit garbled though.

IMO, having high end options is not a trend. Virtually every business in the world offers a range of products from high to low end. This is especially true in the world of travel. Every Hotel I have ever stayed in offers different levels of rooms. This isn't a trend. It has been happening forever.

flavious27

Why would you want to do any sort of cardio, outside of all the walking and everything else you do on property? The rooms look great, but I get my cardio workout walking around the parks and resorts while I'm there, why walk in a hotel room.

If someone is renting a 4k - 5k a night room, I doubt they are going to be sweating in the parks.

With these 20 suites taking up the whole 14th floor, how many rooms were there in the first place?

dreamfinder

Why would you want to do any sort of cardio, outside of all the walking and everything else you do on property? The rooms look great, but I get my cardio workout walking around the parks and resorts while I'm there, why walk in a hotel room.

If someone can drop the assumed $2k per night, I wouldn't be surprised if they have nannies or travel with family. Send the kids to the park for the day with nanny/granny (who is staying in a regular room at the resort), get your workout in, attend a conference call with the board, and then join Johnny and Susie for the afternoon parade, and 2 rides. Then dinner and some wine back in the lounge. Don't have time to do more than that.......

Also, there is a difference between walking cardio, and a normal cardio workout if you do it regularly.

cbconglom

Is this the first instance of Disney serving organic food on a relatively large scale at Walt Disney World (and I don't mean just one entree on a menu, but a whole concierge lounge full of organic food)?

Because I'm sure there are lots of people who would be willing to pay for organic food, but aren't nearly wealthy enough to stay in one of these suites for an extended stay. Those rooms were already the most expensive by far at Contemporary.

i believe so. and i for one would be willing to pay for organic food.. and while were at it if they want to hire me on as a consultant i can direct them to some better gluten freen products..(thanks so much disney for having them though i'm not really complaining)

sublimesting

Rain water shower eh? I like my water to not have pollution in it thank you.

I'm assuming it is filtered somehow.

In anycase this makes me think how fancy words really make people pay extra for things even when they are just the same without fancy wording.

What sounds better:
Chocolate or Swiss Chocolate
Vanilla or French Vanilla

On thtis note do the French think French Vanilla sounds classier than regular Vanilla. Does America have anything that the rest of the world adds our name to to make it sound exotic? I guess we do have cheese....

I happen to have a new tea sitting in front of me it is called "Aztec Sweet Chili Spice Tea"...formerly Mexican Tea. Aztec sounds better.

Anyways, my shower water is made with crystal clear Appalachian Mountain Water.

SleepingMonk

We'll give them a go when available.

"Organic" is mostly a scam and pure marketing at this point but it is nice to see healthy options and more fitness awareness at any resort.

Maybe they'll do some real research and include Paleo friendly options next....CrossFit WOD......Oly lifts by the beach?

:D

cbconglom

paleo sounds fun! but let's be serious about the organic marketing thing. cancer didn't get out of control until monsanto roundup and gmo foods. obviously it's more than just marketing.

SleepingMonk

Oh there are legit reasons behind the organic craze but much of it is marketing101 at this point.

You need to be very careful and well educated before buying anything now. Organic has become more of a buzzword than a process indicator.

cbconglom

Oh there are legit reasons behind the organic craze but much of it is marketing101 at this point.

You need to be very careful and well educated before buying anything now. Organic has become more of a buzzword than a process indicator.

oh i think i understand what you mean now. but worry not your talking to someone who knows offhand what the enzyme dpp-iv is for.:wave:

TestTrack

Rain water shower eh? I like my water to not have pollution in it thank you.

I'm assuming it is filtered somehow.

In anycase this makes me think how fancy words really make people pay extra for things even when they are just the same without fancy wording.

What sounds better:
Chocolate or Swiss Chocolate
Vanilla or French Vanilla

On thtis note do the French think French Vanilla sounds classier than regular Vanilla. Does America have anything that the rest of the world adds our name to to make it sound exotic? I guess we do have cheese....

I happen to have a new tea sitting in front of me it is called "Aztec Sweet Chili Spice Tea"...formerly Mexican Tea. Aztec sounds better.

Anyways, my shower water is made with crystal clear Appalachian Mountain Water.

I COULD be wrong...but typically when people refer to rainwater shower it is actually referring to the shower HEAD. NOT the actual water used. It's simply a wider head with tons of nozzles that are fairly low pressure. It is typically mounted so that the water comes out vertically instead of the usual at an angle. The end result is that it feels like your standing outside in a rain storm.

But what do I know ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=rain...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1023&bih=413

jakeman

I COULD be wrong...but typically when people refer to rainwater shower it is actually referring to the shower HEAD. NOT the actual water used. It's simply a wider head with tons of nozzles that are fairly low pressure. It is typically mounted so that the water comes out vertically instead of the usual at an angle. The end result is that it feels like your standing outside in a rain storm.

But what do I know ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=rain...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1023&bih=413
And it is annoying to take a shower in.

Imagine water in your shower coming directly down on top of your head and the only way to keep water out of your face is to either step out of the water (and get cold) or hunch over (like Quasimodo).

ChrisM

As has been predicted for the past few years, Disney has squeezed as much blood out of the "down market" stone as possible. They haven't sufficiently taped the "upmarket" segment, however, and this is where you're going to see a large focus for the time being.

I'm fully expecting to see more mainstream availability of "pay to play" and "enhanced access" options soon, too. I know this will greatly upset the egalitarians among us, but nothing will get between Disney and their pursuit of dollars. I'm personally hoping a side benefit of this is improved attention to detail, maintenance, and development as part of this trend, but I won't be holding my breath.

Anyway, what's interesting about the trends of modern society is that the concept of the "idle rich" is being turned on its head. Rich foods, idleness, and corpulence are becoming hallmarks of the less economically advantaged, whereas a focus on fitness and healthy eating is now the craze among the wealthy. And so it goes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom