Disney's Celebrate America Fireworks Video - 3 Angles - Opinions Please!

mpaul32001

Original Poster
Hey guys! I need an opinion on something!

I recently experimented with making a 3 angle video of the new July 4th fireworks show. I filmed each video 3 different nights, and synced the audio together perfectly.

I thought it turned out pretty good, but wanted to get opinions for when I do this in the future with other things such as Illuminations, Fantasmic, and maybe even Block Party Bash. It would be greatly appreciated to get comments, as it will help me make my videos the best they can be. Thanks! And just click the image!

Matthew Paul

--------------------------

Note: I am not making this to advertise the website. I just work for the site, and all of my videos have to have the logo, for obvious reasons. I hope you all understand!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ve done a few multi angles of RoE and Fant!, plus many other shows, attractions and displays from many angles. Let me get over my jet lag and have a think (and watch your vid)

BrennaRN

I loved your video............my opinion is that there might be too many angles. I kept looking all around and didn't focus on one particular angle. In the future maybe focus on one angle and go with that. Other than that, it was fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

mpaul32001

Original Poster
I loved your video............my opinion is that there might be too many angles. I kept looking all around and didn't focus on one particular angle. In the future maybe focus on one angle and go with that. Other than that, it was fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Well, really the point of the video was to show how perfectly synced the same show can be on 3 separate nights, and to give you a look at how the show looked from 3 separate angles simultaneously. There's always something you missed the last time. I'm glad you enjoyed, and will definitely will keep that all in mind for future productions! :wave:

Llamaface

My background is in stills and not video, so take it as you may.

It seems to me that over half of your available image space has been wasted with a static background image, a logo, and your name. Would it be possible to enlarge the three videos to use more of the space?

What about the bottom video taking up the entire bottom half? What about varying the size of each of the three videos at different times? They don't all have to be the same size all the time do they?

The fireworks from about 12:55 to the end are spectacular. It's a shame you can't find a way to really enhance that and drive it home with your presentation somehow.

Like I said, I'm not a video guy so I don't even know what's possibe.

Thanks for posting this though. I really enjoyed seeing it. :wave:

mpaul32001

Original Poster
Very well done.
However, I think that each video view should be a bit larger.

Well, I'm currently using Sony Vegas 8, which is the latest editor in the Vegas series. For some reason if I make the videos bigger, even though there is still space on the edges, the videos get cut off. It's like there's some sort of invisible edge. Maybe Martin will be able to help me with that.

And, if you really want the videos larger, they are each available full screen on MouseTimes!

donsullivan

Premium Member
Another presentation option might have been to stay with one full-frame view in the original 16x9 aspect ratio and then once you had the three synched (don't know what editing software you're using so I'm not sure if it could do this), just cut back and forth between different camera angles at transition points in the show. That way the viewer gets a full picture of the content your presenting and sees it from a few different angles much like a professional shoot would be delivered. In that scenario, you just pick the one with the best audio quality and use that as the sound track for the total presentation.

mpaul32001

Original Poster
Another presentation option might have been to stay with one full-frame view in the original 16x9 aspect ratio and then once you had the three synched (don't know what editing software you're using so I'm not sure if it could do this), just cut back and forth between different camera angles at transition points in the show. That way the viewer gets a full picture of the content your presenting and sees it from a few different angles much like a professional shoot would be delivered. In that scenario, you just pick the one with the best audio quality and use that as the sound track for the total presentation.

That's a great idea, and i'll eventually get around to it in the long run. I was thinking this was a unique way to view a fireworks show, but maybe I should rethink my approach. You guys are doing great! This is exactly the stuff I need. Thanks!

PhotoDave219

Okay, good job on the actual video quality.

Since i've been having to do this for work now..... I always wanted to do this with lluminations but i ran out of time before i moved.

You need to edit and go back and forth between the shots rather than having all 3 on the screen at the same time. Sitting on a static image is boring.

Also, i like the long shot from down the street and one of the Castle shots. The other castle shot seems a bit repetitive in that its the mirror of another shot. Nice cross-dissolve transitions between shots and just edit it all together well.

Things that i feel that are missing here are the details - i wanna see peoples faces go "wow." I want to see close ups of the launches and closeups of the explosions in the air or closeups of the shells exploding in air.

Lastly, see if you can find a clean, source (or near source) copy of the audio wherein you can overlay it so you can hear it great and use enough of the ambient so you hear the pop of the fireworks and the ooooos and ahhhhhs of the crowd and lose all the crap from the crowd - coughs, stray conversations, etc.....

PhotoDave219

I would also watermark the logo over the corner of teh screen at a low opacity, so its there but not distracting. Make a good title card for the beginning and and credit yourself at the end.

Sure beats the Hurricane Charley video that someone around here did a few years back :lookaroun

hpyhnt 1000

Great video, I mean, videos! Wish I was able to be there three nights in a row... :eek:

As far as things you could do, others have already touched on them. A larger screen size would be great, and maybe instead of three angles, narrow it down to just two. The top two ang;es you have are really similar, and I think in the long run, its more visually appealing to consolidate and keep it at two angles. I know what you were trying to do, but the difference between the top two angles is minimal, so I think you should just eliminate one of them. Integrating some cleaner audio with the live audio would help, too.

Finally, I don't even know if this is possible, but its something I've always wanted someone to do. If you ever do something like this again, try this: instead of taking 3 videos from 3 different spots, take 3 different vidoes from the same spot. What you do is place the camera so that one video is pointed left, one is centered, and one is off to the right. Then, stitch them together to create one large panoramic shot. In the case of Celebrate America!, I think your way worked better. However, for shows like IllumiNations or Fantasmic!, a large panoramic shot would work really well. Again, I don't know if thats possible, but if it is, it would really look impressive.

Once more, creative idea, and great job!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My mistake; I thought it was a multi angle edited video. I agree P&Ps are hard to do; I`ve done a few and getting them to sync can be very difficult.

As and when you venture into multi-angle editing give me a shout; I`ll give you my pointers (not perfect but semi-pro) about preplanning and the actual shooting and post prod :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom