Disney's Animal Kingdom receives new Association of Zoos and Aquariums accreditation

RSoxNo1

I know getting AZA accredidation is a big deal, but does this mean that the Animal Kingdom did not have this accredidation for the first two years of operation?

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here, but I know that China has strict rules governing the care and loaning of Giant Pandas to zoos. Are any of these rules linked to AZA accreditation?

fosse76

Probably means nothing to guests in the long run, although I believe it does allow them to continually exchange animals for breeding.

It allows a lot:

Eligibility for grants
Exempts certain government requirements, primarily at the state level)
Access to specimens from other AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums for loan or breeding

Not to mention it will attract more highly-qualified employees, scientists and caretakers.

ABigBrassBand

It allows a lot:

Eligibility for grants
Access to specimens from other AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums for loan or breeding

Not to mention it will attract more highly-qualified employees, scientists and caretakers.

Cool! Anything to make this park even better than it is. :cool:

Liverstealer

Just so you guys know, getting accredited by the AZA isn't something new for DAK. They have to go through this inspection process every 5 years or so (The Seas went through it last year). They were accredited from day 1 starting back in 1998 i believe. A team comprised of zoo keepers, researchers and educators from other AZA facilities visit the park and look at animal care facilities, husbandry practices, educational programs as well as conservation outreach.

It's the kind of inspection that the DAK staff wasn't exactly worried about passing, but it's also something people in Animal Programs really take seriously. It doesn't necessarily mean that all of a sudden, there's going to be a huge influx of world class researchers and biologists (as they've been accredited for going on 12 years already). I can tell you that in the zoo world, DAK is very well respected.

Liverstealer

As far as the China-panda connection, AZA certainly does look good should DAK pursue that, but it's more of a political situation more than anything, as all pandas (even those born on US soil) still belong to China. It's a very expensive endeavor to pursue.

Being AZA accredited, does allow DAK to participate in breeding programs, such as the Species Survival Plan. Think match.com for gorillas, elephants, rhinos, etc.

Figment1986

As others said, they have to renew it every so often... Busch Gardens Tampa runs through march of 2011... they will start the process next year for re-acredidation...

RSoxNo1

As far as the China-panda connection, AZA certainly does look good should DAK pursue that, but it's more of a political situation more than anything, as all pandas (even those born on US soil) still belong to China. It's a very expensive endeavor to pursue.

Being AZA accredited, does allow DAK to participate in breeding programs, such as the Species Survival Plan. Think match.com for gorillas, elephants, rhinos, etc.

Yeah, the Species Survival Plan will often not even bring compatible mates together, but rather compatible specimens. I'm not sure if this is the case with the Gorillas, but I was told on the Backstage Safari that it's relatively common place with the African Elephants.

As for Pandas to the Animal Kingdom, I know that the Chinese government has strict requirements for the backstage and onstage enclosures. I've heard budgets for the enclosures in the neighborhood of $10-20 million, and then there's no guarantee that once they're built that the zoo will get Pandas.

I'm not sure what Disney's growing presence in China means to the Animal Kingdom's ability to get Pandas. I'm guessing it means very little, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney is no longer pursuing acquiring Pandas.

_Scar

It allows a lot:

Eligibility for grants

WOW, that's awesome!

:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom