Trip Report Disneymoon Report

The Brickers' Disneymoon Report (10/21 Update: Wedding Photos Added)

Preface:

Welcome to the Disneymoon Report. For those of you who have been following our Saga in the Pre-Disneymoon thread, thank you for bearing with us as we have delayed in getting this report posted. Hopefully it lives up to at least some of the expectations.

If you make it through this trip report and are hungry to read the others, here is a catalog of our past trip reports:
Engagement Report
August 2008
November/December 2008
August 2009
October 2009

Worth noting is that this report report is 44 single spaced pages of text. I don't point this out because I want to warn you before you make the time commitment to read it, but because at this length, and given my schedule, much of the report was written very hastily. I hope that it’s somewhat coherent and not rife with grammatical errors, stylistic faults, and misspelled words, but such may be the case.

Along the same lines, there are approximately 500 images among the first set of posts. The way I take pictures, my camera produces a “digital negative.” This is unlike most P&S cameras, which give you a usable .jpg file right out of the camera. This means I have to edit each shot. Normally, I spend 20 minutes or so editing an image that I post on Flickr. Given the time constraints and the volume of images to edit, I edited most of these in batches, grouping similar pictures together and performing quick edits. Consequently, some of the shots may be less-than-stellar.

If you're interested in the photography here and would like EXIF data for the pictures, it can be found on the Flickr page for each image that is on Flickr (denoted by little watermarks that read “Bricker”). To access said data, click the picture, which will take you to Flickr. EXIF data can then be found by clicking the "More Properties" link in the lower right hand corner.

Finally, as promised in the Pre-Trip Report, I will be posting a wedding report as well. However, we do not yet have our wedding pictures, so that will have to wait until a later date. This report thus begins on the morning of the Honeymoon.

Alright, enough with the disclaimers, warnings, and other miscellaneous opening remarks. On with the show!

The Brickers’ Disneymoon Report

Waking up at 4 a.m. is never fun. But, when it's the day after your wedding and you're heading to Walt Disney World, you don't complain. Such were the circumstances when Sarah's parents came into our suite to wake us up the “morning” after our wedding. We were already thirty minutes late; apparently, the AM/PM mistake happens outside of the world of of Seinfeld.

So began the whirlwind process of getting ready for the day. If our lives were set to music, the same John Williams' score that plays during the beginning of Home Alone, where the family rushes for the airport, would be played here. Much like that film, we forgot a few things. We both knew this would occur, so we weren't too upset. Contrary to the film, we did remember each other, which I considered highly positive. We wouldn't be starting the marriage on the right foot if we forgot one another.

In addition to being late to heading to the airport, neither one of us—individuals who had gone to a Chicagoland school for 5 and 7 years, respectively—could give Sarah's father adequate directions to the airport. James and Andrew, although it's unlikely that you're reading this, sorry for calling you in the middle of the night. After driving 20 miles out of our way, we did arrive at the airport. At this point, you can probably queue the John Williams score again. We rushed to check our bags, at which point we realized we were fine time-wise. Then, as we walked up the concourse towards our gate, the most glorious moment of any trip to the Midway airport occurred: the Golden Arches came into view.

I believe I have stated this before, but I am a huge McDonald's fan. Even with all of my love for McDonald's, I only eat there a few times a year since I generally attempt to eat healthy. However, I always eat there the morning we leave for Walt Disney World. McDonald's breakfast is, unequivocally, the best way to start any trip to Walt Disney World. No matter what the circumstances, two Sausage McMuffins will prepare you for the day. This day acted no differently, as they again prepared me for the day.

I might as well get this out here now since it will be a theme of the trip report; for those who don't know, photography is a hobby of mine. I normally include my photography-related thoughts in my trip reports. Most of the time, I don't really know what I'm talking about, and really just ramble on about nothing, so skipping these segments is highly advised.

I always take an inordinate number of photos at the airport. This is because I really am not wild about photography, except for at Walt Disney World, so I don't practice much outside of the parks. As with anything, you get rusty if you don't practice. While this particular trip was definitely not about photography, I had two new lenses on the trip that I had used for a grand total of about two hours (almost all of which was use with one of the lenses), and I needed to get familiar with the lenses and get rid of the rust.

This is all much to Sarah's chagrin, and rightfully so. I can't imagine anyone being too happy with me taking pictures of them eating breakfast after only two hours of sleep (and that's being generous—it was probably more like an hour and a half). Sarah has a way of being gorgeous no matter the circumstances, but I still think pictures of her eating are off limits. Still, she's a good sport while I attempt to figure out what the heck I'm doing with the camera. Luckily or unfortunately, I had a lot of rust, as I hadn’t really used my camera much in the previous month.

After breakfast, it was basically time to board the plane. In all of the hustle and bustle of the wedding, we had forgotten to check in early. Well, at least really early. Normally, I refresh Southwest.com's check-in page until it will let us check-in on the day prior. This trip, that was not the case. Consequently, we were not seated together. Strolling down the aisle of the plane, I always chuckle to myself to see two people clearly together who are situated window and aisle, as if to ward off stray single riders (don't know a better term for this, so I'll use the Disney term), who approach. If you ask to sit next to them, begrudgingly, they allow it (as if they have a choice), but they always move. I guess Sarah and I do the same thing when we are the earlier ones on the plane, so it's not a knock against everyone else, but it really does seem silly.

This was not the case with the people between whom I chose to sit, unfortunately for them, as it would be. Luckily for them, Sarah was seated directly in front of me. You see, I have a tendency (to put it lightly) of falling asleep while traveling. When this started to occur on the flight, the man next to me took on pillow status in my unconscious. Yep, I'm “that guy.” I always have been that way. My grandpa used to say that there was no point in me getting a driver's license, because I always fell asleep in the car, so I'd have no idea where I was going, and would always be lost. I really don't have any explanation or excuse to offer; I would hate it if someone started leaning their head on me, but yet I do the very thing that would irritate me. From my perspective, the man would have had every right to give me a good shot to the head.

061310041.jpg

To save money, Sarah and I had chosen a flight that had a layover. This was also the same reason that we chose such an early flight. A direct flight that left 3 hours later would have been $70 more per person. Without hesitation, if we could do it over, we would buy that flight. Although Sarah and I are cheap, we do understand the value of time. When you're on your honeymoon and it's the day after your wedding, $140 for three hours is a bargain.

During the layover, we moved forward to the second row. There, we were directly behind some people from one of the Disney forums (hi, if you're reading this, hope the vacation was magical!) who recognized us when we got onto the plane. The husband and wife were taking their kids (they told us the ages, but I've forgotten since), probably ages 7 and 5, to Walt Disney World as a surprise. They kept giving the kids opportunities to guess where they were going. The daughter (the older child of the two, I think) thought they were going to Washington, DC to visit their grandma. I can only imagine how the kids reacted when they realized they were at Disney. Something I imagine the kids and the parents both will never forget. I can only hope that Sarah and I are able to do the same for our kids when we're older. What a great surprise.

Although I was running on only a few (more now, given my sleeping arrangements on the flight preceding this one) hours of sleep, I couldn't sleep during this flight. I was excited not only for our honeymoon, but for the little morsels I could hear from the folks in front of us. I really am a sucker for that type of thing. I really can't wait for Sarah and I to have kids so we can do this. At the same time, there is no way we could continue our “style” of touring with young kids, so we will embrace the next few childless years.

061310042.jpg

Arriving at the Orlando airport (I know it has a memorial name or a sponsor since it's abbreviation is MCO...and there is no “MC” in “Orlando airport”) is always fun. Sarah and I are always elated. Add tired this time to the mix. Tired and elated, we ran off the plane towards...somewhere. We are getting better with this, but we still seem to get lost at that airport every time we go there. Not this time. We boarded the fake monorail like clockwork, went to the CORRECT floor of the car rental/accommodations area, and got in line for Disney's Magical Express.

I have a love/hate relationship with DME. Okay, mostly love. Although I do hate it when they want to pick me up and make me leave WDW. I wanted to test out another new toy, my neutral density filter, so I stepped outside and took some pictures of the DME bus. Unlike the lenses, I had used this before, but just for a few shots. Apparently, I had a decent handle of it, because a shot I took using it won me a iPad. Still, I wanted to hone my skills with it. I can be lazy with contest pictures. Disney pictures require precision and perfection.

061310043.jpg

After a couple of shots, I came back inside to return to Sarah's side. She really deserves a lot of credit for allowing me to be a “kid in a candy store.” After we waited a bit, it was finally our turn to board the DME bus. If you're thinking this is a lot of nothing thus far, I promise, it'll start to get interesting, eh, maybe.
Okay, so nothing all that interesting happened on the DME bus, besides seeing new segments of the video that I absolutely love. Why this isn't on Mousebits, I don't know. Passing through the gates was, as always, magical, and I really don't even mind doing the loop around the resorts before getting to ours. It builds anticipation and this time, allowed us to see “home,” Saratoga Springs.

061310045.jpg

Then, we arrived there. Stepping out of the bus, I felt somewhat like royalty. As we strolled past freshly minted Beemers and Lexuses (Lexi?) I thought to myself, “how did they allow two poor college kids to stay here?” Well, college kids were we no more. Poor, yes, though. The lobby was as grand as the exterior, and instantly, I knew this was going to be one heckuva stay. Not to stick our noses up to the value resorts, where we usually stay, but this was completely different. It's not just as if the resort were in another league. It was playing a different sport.

061310427.jpg

We tried to sweet talk our way into the “best” view out of the crappy view rooms (as I've read some can see the BoardWalk...a little; or at least the pool), but the Cast Member assisting us was unable to do anything. We were rarely on the balcony anyway, so the parking lot view wasn't that bad (although I think we would've been a lot more had we had a better view). I think Online Check-In hurts you in this regard. Sarah and I never have had issues having room requests fulfilled with regular check-in; they never happen with online check-in.

After check-in, we stopped at the sundries store to get a snack, then headed to our room. I am in no way “on staff” for Disney, but I'll give the sales pitch anyway. If you're our age, or anywhere around our age and in similar circumstances, buy DVC. I did the whole cost/benefit objective analysis (assuming 2 kids, “second best” use of money at ROI of 7.5%, 32 years of use, etc.) and thought it was a good idea for us given that we'd be spending nearly the same amount to stay at the Poly for our time-frame. However, I didn't fully account for the feeling I'd have when stepping into the room, when getting up in the morning, or a whole host of other externalities. Additionally, I don't think I accounted for the feeling I THINK I would've have had waking up at the Poly thinking, “all we did was sleep here on this particular night, and gee wiz, we spent $300+ on it?!” Despite what Disney says, DVC does not pay for itself after one use (our break-even point for comparable on-property locations is around 15 years), but it is worth it. In an instant. We will definitely be adding on as soon as funds allow. Oh, and Bay Lake Tower, we'll see you in 2011!

062010267.jpg

062010268.jpg

Glad I got that little DVC advertisement out of the way (hey, someone has to fund this thing—am I wrong?). Unlike me, Sarah is not so amenable to falling asleep on the shoulder of a strange man (thankfully). She implored me to take a nap, but I could not. I slipped out of bed and wandered the room before waking her up. We agreed to thirty more minutes of nap time, after which we'd head to the Studios. We also decided that getting me out of the room was the only way to facilitate that nap, so I headed out with the camera and tripod to play.

061310047.jpg

Last edited:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
We had scouted out spots ahead of time for Illuminations, but we always seem to arrive too late, and to compound matters, I am indecisive in picking a location, often stopping at one, only to decide thirty seconds later to go back to a previous stop we passed, only to see that spot is taken, and so on. This night was such an occasion. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a really good Illuminations location (from a photography perspective—we could see just fine). I had a fairly good spot in October 2009, thanks to other guys saving it for me, but I don’t think I’ve had a great location since August 2008. In December, I really think I would like to watch once from the second story of Japan. Anyone have any experience with how crowded it is in that location in early December (i.e. off-season)? Once again, I did a fairly lousy job taking pictures of the show. Fine by me, as I enjoy watching it so much that photography isn’t really my focus. That score is just perfect. Illuminations is one of the few things I would be happy with Disney never changing, or only having Disney slightly modify.

061710177.jpg

061710178.jpg

Following the show we inched our way toward SpaceShip Earth with the glob-of-a-crowd, where we boarded for a relaxing spin. I think I drifted off right around the time Rome fell. Hopefully society resolved that one satisfactorily; rumor has it that they lost some great library at Alexandria. With my SSE mini-nap over, we headed to Soarin’. On one of the nights of our trip, I’m thinking this one (I don’t remember for sure), I drifted off for a second on Soarin’. That has to be a new record for me. With that, and with Sarah equally as tired, we decided to take some pictures in World Showcase prior to close, and then call it a night. Again, it was tough for us to pull ourselves from the park early, but we were tired puppies. This night, International Gateway was still open, and we exited through it as it took us a little longer than normal to make the voyage back to BoardWalk.

061710179.jpg

061710180.jpg

061710181.jpg

061710182.jpg

061710183.jpg

061710184.jpg

061710185.jpg

The next morning was another shotgun start. Set to start the morning at the Studios, we boarded a boat roughly 20 minutes prior to the 9 a.m. park opening. We got to the Studios about 5 minutes before opening, made our way through the turnstiles, and did the “TSM Dash” with the other early risers. We rounded the various corners of the Studios, guided by Cast Members who prevented us from taking the correct short cuts to gain advantage over the masses. When we neared the entrance, we saw they were stacking the queue, and that the line to get FastPasses was already 10 minutes long. Sarah and I had never experienced stacking with TSM, but we decided to play it by ear, with Sarah getting in line for the ride, and me getting in line for FastPasses. We agreed that she'd drop out of line if she got inside (as I didn't think it right to push my way through the queue, only join her if it meant not going through the queue, if that makes any sense). I watched as she got closer to the entrance, getting impatient as parties in front of me struggled with the FastPasses. I finally got mine and headed to the queue meeting Sarah with only about 10 people between her and the entrance to the building.

061810187.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
We had done TSM through the actual queue only once before, so it was nice to be in there (with a fast moving queue) to see Mr. Potatohead. It was fun although disappointing that we couldn't get a picture together with the AA. I think in the future we will always carry a point and shoot around to give to strangers that we ask to take pictures of us. We've occasionally asked with our DSLRs, but usually people unintentionally mess up the shots (through no fault of their own, obviously). The ride itself...eh...we won't go there. I will just say the outcome of the ride was not what I was hoping. Sarah was not very gracious about it, either.

061810188.jpg

I couldn't sulk for long, as it was time to check-in at the Hollywood Tower Hotel. One of my research tasks before this trip was to figure out what Twilight Zone (original series) easter eggs were littered around the Hotel. It's one of my absolute favorite TV shows, so I was really hoping to capture some of the nods. We found a few, but I really only got a good photo of the glasses Burgess Meredith wore in the episode, “Nick of Time” (one of my very favorite episodes). When editing, I decided to give some of the shots an ultra-contrast, high-noise look. I think it suits the theme well; it gives them a bit of an edge. What do you think?

061810189.jpg

061810190.jpg

061810490.jpg

After a couple rides on Tower of Terror, I went to see if I could get FastPasses that would be ready soon for Rock 'n' Rollercoaster so I could go on the attraction. Sarah didn't want to go because the ride makes her a little queasy, and she didn't want to get sick before our big meal that evening. The FP wait was past the time we expected to stay in the Studios, so I aborted the plan, and instead got ToT FastPasses. During this time, Sarah was picking up delicious breakfast for us. Although they are really expensive, in my opinion, for what they are, the bagel/egg/sausage breakfast sandwiches are wonderful. I honestly think I could have the picture below as my desktop background and just stare at it all day. Not only because I enjoyed the sandwiches so much, but also because it would remind me of that morning at the Studios, which was a pretty good one for us, partly because it was highly efficient.

061810578.jpg

061810192.jpg

After breakfast it was time to use our TSM FastPasses. Although I was again displeased with the results, even that couldn't put me in a bad mood. At that point, we could have gotten in line for another one of the headliners, but we decided we didn't have enough character pictures, so we'd meet the new Toy Story 3 character who was in the Animation building. We were meeting him on the day the film opened, which I thought was sort of cool, but then again, I am lame like that. We waited in line 30 minutes, but it was worth it. I am a bit embarrassed to say that almost two months later, we still haven't seen Toy Story 3. The worst part about this is that we have two free passes to see it. Maybe if I didn't have to work tirelessly to type up a trip report to appease hoards of angry posters on a Disney forum we would have seen it by now. ;)

061810193.jpg

061810194.jpg

061810195.jpg

All Day I Dream About Dachshunds…

WDWFigment

Original Poster
061810658.jpg

I love that they have indoor Meet & Greets in the parks, but one thing that I hate about these locations is that, despite them being permanent locations, the lighting is always atrocious. This is something about which I would think most people would care, especially from the perspective that they won't buy PhotoPass pictures if they (the people) look lousy in the pictures. A softer light wouldn't have an increased cost, and it would make a huge difference. I don't know why normal incandescent lights are used in those locations. Not a big deal to me because I can fix it to a degree in Photoshop, but I know Disney isn't doing this to its PhotoPass pictures, nor are most people who take the pictures themselves.

061810196.jpg

061810197.jpg

061810198.jpg

Next stop, Monstropolis! Here, the lighting was actually pretty good. We had wanted to meet Mike and Sully the other day, but they went in early when it started to rain (even though their location is under cover). The wait time was much better here, only taking about 5 minutes. This was another Must-Do for us on this trip, so I'm really glad we caught them. Back at their old location (near the Commissary), the lines would frequently exceed an hour. In the new, somewhat off the beaten path, location, I doubt the line ever gets that long. Following that, we made another stop at Pizza Planet, where we split a pizza. We didn't want to fill up in any way that might be harm our appetites for dinner. We had our FastPasses for another ride on ToT, but we decided two rides was plenty, and that a little more rest would be better, so we headed home. We were in the park from 9 a.m. until 12:08 p.m., during which time we rode TSM twice, ToT twice, ate breakfast, and met three characters. Not too shabby for three hours. We were both very happy. Back to the resort we went to rest for a few hours before dinner.

061810199.jpg

061810200.jpg

061810201.jpg

As mentioned earlier, we forgot some things in our haste to get ready. Two such things were my suit and Sarah’s dress to wear to Victoria & Albert’s. We thus had to have Sarah’s mom send us our clothes via FedEx. As a result, they were a little wrinkled (and I think our cat, Yossarian, turned my suit into a bed for a few days, as it was also covered in cat fur), so I had to iron it, which I absolutely hate doing and am atrocious at, and use like 50 sheets of lint-roller paper on it. After we finally finished getting ready, we headed down to the bus stop for the Magic Kingdom.

We contemplated just taking a taxi, given the heat and our attire, but after having to mortgage two kidneys, a small intestine, and my prized collection of Care Bears, we figured we probably should save the money and just take the bus. Our confidence in the promptness of the Disney Transportation system had been bolstered by our experience with the AK-AKL bus experience, so we had no fears that we’d be waiting long.

061810660.jpg

061810661.jpg

Twenty minutes, three AK, three Downtown Disney, and minor frustration later, we were still waiting. More time passed. Finally, at the forty minute mark, I told Sarah she better call V&As to let them know we might be running a little late. She called and informed them of the delay, but a few minutes later, we decided it might be a better bet to just spend the $20 on the taxi. This was especially the case since it was our understanding that V&A only has two servings, and if you’re not there at your serving time, we thought we might be rushed. She ran to the room to get a credit card while I stood watch for the bus, and got back with no bus in sight. The taxi got us there in 5 minutes, still early for dinner. There was a minor scare when the taxi driver’s card reader rejected our card twice, but he graciously accepted the card number anyway, saying it might’ve been an error on his end (it was).

Sarah and I have had some nice meals, and I have to say usually they aren’t my thing. I get impatient when eating several “course” meals, and I feel out of place at the lavish restaurants where everyone else is seemingly aged 60-80. We have gotten poor service at some such places, I feel, because the staff felt we “didn’t belong” (it only makes matters worse that we look slightly younger than our actual ages—or so we’re told). Consequently, on the rare occasions that we dine out, I try to steer us towards more moderate restaurants.

061810579.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Moderation is not a word in Victoria’s, or Albert’s, vocabulary. As we ascended up the stairs and the polished mahogany (I’m no expert of woods, but it sure looked like mahogany; even if it wasn’t, that just sounds cool!) of the grand doors came into view, my stomach became unsettled, as I wondered if we had just forked down a substantial amount of money for what might only amount to a few hours of discomfort. I curled my Mickey Mouse camera strap into my hand as we approached the check-in stand, not wanting to appear like an “outsider.”

061810580.jpg

061810202.jpg

My fears would quickly be allayed. We had two maids (waitresses and waiters go by maids and butlers at V&A) who were both incredibly friendly and personable. Immediately, they offered to bring a stool for our cameras. The rest of the experience was only uphill. Our meal and the options were explained to us, and we were given a wine list. Actually, I think it might’ve been some sort of catalog from which to purchase a new car. The names of the cars didn’t register (they were mostly French and older models), but the prices certainly suggested that it was a car catalog. Upon realizing all but the cheapest wines were out of the question (we didn’t end up ordering any), we were given the menu for the meal.
The explanations for some of the items on the menu were humorous, to say the least. My favorite was some type of beef that is born in Australia and then flown to Japan, where he is massaged daily (I’m going off memory, so those locations may be wrong—the massage part is definitely correct). The beef is the world’s most tender. All I could think of while our maid was describing this was some guy going out to the fields, 9-5 (or perhaps longer), to give a cow a massage. Do you think he takes a table and a white cloth to cover the cow up? When asked by his friends, what does he say he does for a living. Certainly there is a way to ‘dress it up’ to make the occupation sound better, but how different from the reality of the job can you make “Bovine Masseuse” sound?!

061810203.jpg

061810204.jpg

After ordering, one of our maids brought out palette stimulators, compliments of the chef (pictured below this paragraph—all subsequent courses will follow this format—if I get any of the names/pictures incorrect, let me know, as I am going off the names from AllEarsNet as I don’t remember them). Upon my first spoonful of the egg, I knew I was in for the most amazing meal of my life. Up until that moment in my life, this was the best thing I had ever tasted. I don’t think my palette is refined enough to describe all of the tastes (even if it were, I couldn’t remember them so long afterward), but it was amazing. The other three portions were incredible, as well.

061810581.jpg

My first course was Minnesota Elk Carpaccio. After the first course, I was incredibly excited for this, as I love wild game. The elk was delicious with excellent presentation, but it left me wishing for a little more. It was so thinly sliced that it was almost difficult to properly taste it (at least I thought). Still, wonderful.

061810583.jpg

061810205.jpg

For her first course, we can't quite remember what Sarah had (I'll update this when we find our menu; the All Ears menu doesn't have her choice listed). She was equally impressed with her course.

061810584.jpg

061810585.jpg

After this, the maids served us bread. This was some of the best bread and butter I had ever had. The butter had garlic in it that, while probably not massaged daily, was rich and smooth beyond belief. The bread itself was delicious, too.

061810587.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
061810590.jpg

061810582.jpg

For the second course, we both got the Marinated King Salmon; it was delicious.

061810586.jpg

Throughout the meal, the maids were incredibly attentive and personable. Sarah asked one how she liked working at WDW, and they chatted for a few minutes about how (eventually) we’d like to work at WDW. The maid encouraged us to do it, which always lights up Sarah’s eyes. I give it no more than 10 years before we’re living somewhere in Florida.

Sarah had the Duck Breast, Duck Sausage and Confit, which I almost ordered as well. The sausage, especially, was delicious, and although I don’t know what confit is, it sure made the plate delicious!

061810589.jpg

My rationale for not ordering the duck was that our meals were already going to shape up very similarly, and the Poulet Rouge with Mushroom-Truffle Ragout intrigued me. Truth be told, I had no idea what this was when I ordered it, and the maid’s explanation didn’t really elucidate things for me, but I decided to go for it anyway. I absolutely love mushrooms, and I figured it would be good. It was excellent. Some of the best mushrooms I’ve ever had, and this is coming from an expert Northern Michigan Morel hunter.

061810588.jpg

Next was the main course. Sadly, we decided against shelling out the extra money for the hand-massaged cow, instead both opting for the Niman Ranch Lamb. It was amazing. Out of this world delicious. At this point, though, it was a bit anti-climatic. Every course before it had been so amazing that we fully expected the perfect main course. It definitely delivered; cooked perfectly, nice and tender. It’s right after lunch as I write this, but even thinking about it on a full stomach makes me crave it.

061810591.jpg

061810592.jpg

061810593.jpg

For dessert we were torn. It was really only a two horse race, but torn we were, nonetheless. Eventually we decided that Sarah would get the Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle and I would get the Grand Mariner Souffle. Prior to this trip, I hadn’t been a big chocolate or desserts person (much to the disappointment of my waistline, I’ve become a convert). Hallelujah, I saw the light on this trip! I don’t even know if I could put into words the deliciousness of that dessert. Rich. Decadent. Super-awesome-fantasmic!

061810594.jpg

061810595.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Finally, we were treated to some wonderful candies. (V&A doesn’t even skimp on the candy!) Sarah was given a rose and we were given a dessert bread to take home. As the experience drew to a close, the maids gave us one last “course” that would prove wonderful—access to a private room in which we could take as many pictures as we wanted! The room, the Queen Victoria’s room, was set up for overflow or perhaps parties, and the bookings were very light that evening, so it was not in use. We went in there, set up a tripod, and went to town!

061810596.jpg

061810206.jpg

061810207.jpg

061810208.jpg

061810209.jpg

After finishing our pictures in there, I convinced Sarah that we ought to take some pictures around the grounds of the Grand Floridian before changing and heading to the Magic Kingdom. I am really glad we did, as I am quite pleased with these. It was also nice to, for our first time together, catch a viewing of the Electric Water Pageant. Although thanks to poor judgment on my part (maybe?), I missed much of the show while changing. On a subsequent trip, I really want to see this in full. It appeared to be one of those goosebump-inducing traditions you can enjoy for generations to come. I’m not nostalgic for it, but I wouldn’t mind building some “future nostalgia” towards it, odd as that may sound!

061810213.jpg

061810214.jpg

061810215.jpg

061810216.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
061810217.jpg

The thing I’m asked the most about Victoria & Albert’s is whether it was worth the money. Obviously if people are asking, they’re in a situation like us: money is not no-object, and a trip there would be splurging to some degree. My advice, unequivocally, no matter what degree of splurging it may be, would be to find a special occasion to celebrate there, and go. I don’t say the ‘special occasion’ bit so you have a nice “in” to get a freebie, but rather because I think it provides a nice reason to be there, and something to “embrace” while you’re dining. The meal is absolutely amazing, the service wonderful, really, I can’t say enough good things about it, except for the price. However, no matter what amount of saving it requires you to do, it’s definitely worth doing once. If it weren’t for our honeymoon, I’m not so sure I could have enjoyed it as much in our present financial circumstances; rather, I’m pretty sure I would’ve been thinking about how much it was costing and wondering why we’re doing it. In the context of a once-in-a-lifetime celebration, though, thoughts of price didn’t cross my mind once (well, besides when looking at the wine list). I cannot wait until we are financially stable enough to enjoy our next meal there.

061810218.jpg

At the Magic Kingdom, we grabbed a locker for our dress clothes and headed inside to play. Victoria & Albert’s followed by evening EMH?! A new definition for us for the term “perfect evening.”

061810219.jpg

We arrived on Main St. right before the Nightastic fireworks were about to begin. I had gotten into a grove with the camera on the beach of the Grand Floridian, and I kept that going for the fireworks, as I had my best night of shooting that night. We found that the best route out of the crowd was via that 'out of the way' narrow path from Main St to Tomorrowland (not the Terrace one), so we took that over to Tomorrowland.

061810220.jpg

061810221.jpg

Once there, we watched the dance party for a little bit. I know these dance parties have caught a lot of flak from the online community, but I must say that I completely disagree with that sentiment. I think it mostly comes from people armchair quarterbacking things, who make judgments without actually experiencing them. My take on the party was that it brought a palpable energy to Tomorrowland. One that has been absent for a while at night, and one that is especially necessary in Tomorrowland. Now, I don't think the music is exactly appropriate for the “future” theme, so I would like to see that retooled (I think it could be done with a “space” or “future” music theme). My other problem with it is that you can hear it while in the first two scenes of the Carousel of Progress. That said, the parties add needed atmosphere to Tomorrowland. I really wonder if all of the naysayers experienced Tomorrowland last summer as well as this summer. The difference in atmosphere between the two is stark.

062110372.jpg

062110373.jpg

061810223.jpg

061810492.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
06181224.jpg

061810225.jpg

061810226.jpg

061810493.jpg

The rest of the evening was our typical late night MK fun: several trips on the TTA, Buzz, Space, and a viewing of the MSEP, followed up with some after hours shooting. One thing we saw a lot of throughout the trip, but especially on this night, was Cast Member mop art (don't know if there is another term for this). We had seen it on past trips, but certainly not to this extent. After we finished with pictures, we boarded a bus for BoardWalk and went right to bed.

061910663.jpg

061910236.jpg

061910237.jpg

Who let the giant dork-bots into the Magic Kingdom?

061910238.jpg

Thought this was pretty cool—we used a two tripod setup (one for my Flickr-type shots, one for shots of us), both of which could be triggered by the same remote. On accident we triggered the wrong camera a few times.

061910664.jpg

061910239.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
061910240.jpg

061910241.jpg

We got back so late—after 4 a.m—that the next morning's New York Times had already been delivered to the resort.

After being in the MK so late the previous night, we decided to sleep in again. This time, we actually got up fairly late (although I still think it was less than 6 or 7 hours of sleep). As you may have gathered from the pre-trip report, this weekend was to “Weekend of Deliciousness,” with meals at Victoria & Albert’s and California Grill. We had split our reservation at BoardWalk so that Friday and Saturday were booked separate from the days prior, enabling us to add the Dining Plan to the preceding days, but not to Friday and Saturday. Since V&A alone nearly justified the cost of the Tables in Wonderland card, we bought that to use over the weekend.

061910242.jpg

The sleeper in there was Beaches & Cream, which we figured we’d hit prior to Cali Grill for a light meal and some ice cream. I had mentioned the Kitchen Sink to Sarah far in advance. I think she thought I was joking, or maybe she hoped I’d forget. Quite the contrary: I deeply engrained it in my brain and fixated on it to the point that there was no way around getting the Kitchen Sink. Even if I had to eat it alone. I actually planned on only getting that and nothing else.

061910665.jpg

061910666.jpg

Upon getting ready and arriving at Beaches & Cream, I knew I couldn’t get just ice cream. The burgers looked and smelled too good. We agreed to split a burger, which turned out to be a huge mistake. Those burgers are way too delicious to split! If anything, I’d recommend getting more than one. Seriously. The nice toasted and buttery bun, perfectly cooked meat makes for the best burger I’ve had on property. I think by getting me to agree to the burger, maybe Sarah was hoping that I’d lose my desire for the Kitchen Sink. Not so. We ordered it, somewhat to the surprise of our very courteous server, who didn’t seem to believe two people like us could eat it.

061910667.jpg

061910668.jpg

When the sirens went off, I knew our time had come to consume one of the greatest desserts known to man (remember, I’m a changed man when it comes to dessert). Ladle of Chocolate Fudge, Ladle of Butterscotch, Ladle of Peanut butter, 2 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream, 2 Scoops Chocolate Ice Cream, 2 Scoops Strawberry Ice Cream, 1 Scoop Coffee Ice Cream, 1 Scoop Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Pineapple Topping, Strawberry Topping, Entire Banana, Muffin, Entire Can of Whipped Cream, Large Brownie, Angel Food Cake, Entire Milky Way Bar, 4 Oreos, Every single type of sprinkle in the house, Chocolate Syrup, Marshmallow Topping, and topped with a handful of Maraschino Cherries. Oh yeah baby, we were going home full!

As the evidence should clearly indicate, I contributed a lot more to our Kitchen Sink consumption effort than did Sarah. Not to diminish what she did, as we both ate a lot—way too much, actually. Although we weren’t given any sort of medallions for conquering the epic dessert, we were champions in our own minds. The crowd (in our heads) cheered as we left the restaurant.

061910669.jpg

061910670.jpg

061910671.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
061910672.jpg

061910673.jpg

Don't ask me...

061910674.jpg

061910675.jpg

061910676.jpg

Wanting to show just how tough I was, I decided to go swimming right after we ate. Well, as cool of a reason as that may sound, in actuality, I had been itching to go swimming the entire trip, and this is the only day it would fit our schedule. Ideally, I would’ve loved to go to Typhoon Lagoon, but Sarah really dislikes the water parks, so this was my second-best alternative. I actually wore my swimming suit to Beaches & Cream with the hope of just using that pool, but little did I know the pool hopping is actively restricted via wristbands. I figured since we’d be there pretty early in the morning, they wouldn’t otherwise have minded, but since wrist bands were in use, I wasn’t going to mess with it. I’ll circumvent the rules clandestinely, but not that actively. Instead, we headed over to the BoardWalk pool for the first time. I’m kind of glad we did. The slide there is awesome! The pool itself is really cool, and the theming is perfect. Sarah watched me play for a little while, wondering how I’d have any interest in swimming after eating all that food, before we headed to the room.

061910677.jpg

061910678.jpg

061910679.jpg

Given all of the food we had consumed, a nap was in order before heading out to the Magic Kingdom. Following that, we headed to the MK, where we rode Splash, Pirates, TTA, Space, MILF, HM, and Splash again before heading to California Grill.

061910680.jpg

061910245.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
061910496.jpg

061910497.jpg

While we were leaving Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, we were talking about how good that show is, and how it takes a beating online for, what seems to us, no good reason. The only reasons I see people site are an abstract hatred for the living character initiative, not wanting Pixar in the parks, or it not fitting Tomorrowland. I can't think of many, if any, complaints about the substantive content (maybe my memory is incorrect on this).

061910248.jpg

061910249.jpg

061910247.jpg

We find it to be one of the most underrated attractions in the Magic Kingdom. It has constantly been tweaked since being introduced, offers a new experience (albeit with overlap) every time, is genuinely funny, and utilizes Disney properties that have bona fide comic qualities. The audience gets a chance to interact and most of the time the shows are fun. I can't think of a time when I didn't laugh during them. Perhaps not all the way throughout, but at least at various point.

061910246.jpg

061910251.jpg

I am probably going to break some unspoken Disney fan code, but we think it's certainly better than the Jungle Cruise. While it may not seem like it at first blush, the Jungle Cruise is a similar attraction in that it's dependent upon the Cast Member's ability to entertain and/or engage the audience. I used to really enjoy the Jungle Cruise: the queue is cool, the pre-ride announcements are funny, and the ride along the way is mildly entertaining albeit incredibly dated (part of me thinks the self deprecating humor is necessitated by the fact that the props are so weak). However, I can't think of the last time we had a decent skipper on the attraction, probably sometime in 2007. Since, we've had over 10 rides with a skipper who was either phoning it in, or simply didn't have the aptitude for the gig. I know a lot of people love the Jungle Cruise, so maybe we've just been incredibly unlucky, but I doubt it. Even if we have been unlucky with the skippers, it also seems to us that the skippers tend to deviate only slightly from the script now, whereas in the past, there were much more substantial deviations (I think). Given that, I think MILF's re-experience-ability is much higher than Jungle Cruise. Plus, it's funnier. Anyway, we couldn't stand around and ponder the relative quality of the attractions for long, as it was time to head for Liberty Square followed by Frontierland.

Our ADRs for California Grill were approaching, and were getting sick of the crowds and heat, so we began making our way from Frontierland to the park exit almost an hour early to see if we could be seated early. As we left Splash Mountain, it began to pour. After the incidents of the previous days, I decided to suck it up and pack a poncho on this particular day. Boy was I glad I did. The only unused poncho Sarah had was a baby blue one that said San Francisco all over it. I figured if it were raining hard enough for me to don the poncho, I wouldn’t care what it said. We quickly put them on inside the arcade then began the dash to the exit. The one day of the trip I actually wear shoes, it pours. Sarah was wearing Crocs and was consequently much slower than me. I wasn’t about to go her pace, so I would rush ahead to an awning, then wait for her. As I sped ahead near the monorail, I saw a young girl dressed as a princess wipe out in a puddle. That made me a little sad; hopefully it didn’t ruin her day. By the time we got to the monorail, both Sarah and I were drenched.

Although we arrived at dinner around 45 minutes in advance, our table was ready very promptly—and this was even after putting in a window request! It was actually ready so early that Sarah had to wait for me for a few minutes while I dried out my shoes in the bathroom. With no hand-blowers in those bathrooms, I’m sure the gentlemen who entered the bathroom wondered what I was doing dancing on my shoes with paper towels scattered about. Despite my best efforts, the paper towels didn’t help much.

After the dinner at Victoria & Albert's the night before, the trip was becoming a bit like a Jerry Bruckheimer film: filled with explosions (thanks to the Nightastic fireworks), and way over budget. We determined that we'd reign in the spending a tad by eating light at Beaches & Cream that day, and sharing an entree at California Grill. However, Sarah had the habit of checking our honeymoon registry at various points throughout the trip to see where we stood, and she noticed we had a gift we hadn’t seen before: $100 to Cali Grill. It was a total shock to us in more than one way, and we perceived it as a sign that we’d noticed it on the morning of Cali Grill that we should have the meal we wanted to have, not just a scaled back meal in order to take in the ambience of Cali Grill, thus allowing the “Weekend of Deliciousness” to “go down” in full form.

Even with the rain, there is something to be said for a view of the Magic Kingdom from California Grill. The food could probably be atrocious, but with that view, I doubt either of us would notice it too much. I’ve heard several people say online that the food has gone downhill in recent years at the Cali Grill. Now, we’ve only eaten there twice, once in 2007 and now in 2010, but we find that hard to believe. The food would’ve had to have been absolutely off-the-charts amazing pre-2007 for there to be a palpable change. Given those comments, I think it’s safe for you to assume we enjoyed our meals.

061910254.jpg

This may look like an uninteresting shot, but look closely—you can see both the MK and the reflections of the inside of the restaurant. Eh, I thought it was somewhat neat.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
061910253.jpg

We started out by splitting the Triple Cheese Flatbread (Pecorino, Asiago, and Provolone with Sun-dried Tomato and Arugula Pesto) as on our previous visit we opted for their (delicious) sushi rather than a flatbread, which had also looked good at the time. It was wonderful. We are both big cheese fans, and we felt it had a perfect flavor combination between sharp and normal. We would highly recommend this flatbread, although the others sounded good as well.

061910597.jpg

061910255.jpg

061910256.jpg

061910598.jpg

061910600.jpg

061910684.jpg

Once again, we were treated to free champagne, compliments of our server.

The rain subsided during dinner, but it was still lightly sprinkling afterward. We took our time, as our waiter informed us that the fireworks had been delayed. We intended upon watching the show from the observation deck, so we waited. At the time, it looked like it might clear up, but I'm no meteorologist, so that was pure speculation. At around 10:15 p.m., I said to Sarah that we needed to make the call: if we waited too much longer, we wouldn't be able to get back into the MK, and would miss any after-hours shooting; however, we might also miss the fireworks during the trip back to the MK. We decided that it was likely that the fireworks would be canceled since they had been delayed so much, so we cut our losses and headed to the MK.

061910257.jpg

When we arrived, we fought the herd of people exiting (there was only ONE entrance turnstile open...it actually took a while to find), and made our way towards Space Mountain. At this point, no one was even waiting for the fireworks. Their cancellation was a foregone conclusion.

061910258.jpg

After riding Space twice, it was 11:05 p.m., and thus the park was closed. As we began setting up for our first shot in Tomorrowland, we heard the announcement, “In just 10 minutes, the Magic Kingdom will present the Summer Nightastic Fireworks…”; I looked, wondering if the announcement was mistakenly played. Rather than ponder the question too long, we briskly moved towards Main Street.

There couldn't have been more than 200-300 people still in the park, which mind you, had been closed for 15 minutes, at the point when the fireworks began (I realize this story is already long, so I won't elaborate on how I think this is a huge testament to Disney's incredible guest service; how much did that show cost...and for only that many guests to see it?!). Not wanting to miss an opportunity to shoot the show on an uncrowded Main Street, I set up my camera, improvising a Rain Sleeve from my poncho. Sarah said it was a terrible idea to risk my camera for a few fireworks shots, and it probably was, but after much frustration the previous nights in shooting amongst crowds, I wasn't missing the chance. Thanks to rain getting all over my lens, it doesn't hold a candle to most of my other fireworks shots from the trip, but thanks to the circumstances, I will always remember getting this shot. I realize this is hardly the best shot of the Summer Nightastic fireworks show, but it's special to me for the memory of that particular evening, and for that reason, it is somewhat “perfect”; despite its glaring imperfections.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
At the start of our shooting that night, the plan was to just grab a couple pictures of us in front of the Castle with the camera set up under an awning. After we got that shot, the Kiss Goodnight played; at first we were struck by how early this was occurring, but then we realized the fireworks started after park closing and lasted a decent amount of time, so by the time the fireworks were done, it was nearly a half-hour after closing. Right as the Kiss Goodnight started, a light bulb went off. I often have people ask me what the Kiss Goodnight is when I allude to it here or on Flickr posts, and I usually just refer them to crumby YouTube videos. I had a tripod mounted DSLR capable of HD video, so why not record it myself? So I recorded it! (I’m not much of a videographer; this was like the 3rd time I’ve even used the video feature of the camera despite having it for over a year and a half. Suffice to say, the quality isn’t quite what I was hoping, especially sound-wise).

After the Kiss Goodnight, we decided to head up in the Castle’s tunnel to take some pictures, and then headed to Main Street. Most of the pictures are lousy because the lens either got some water on it or because we look like crap from the rain. Around this time, we noticed that the rain had pretty much stopped, so we decided to take some more pictures. We also heard the second Kiss Goodnight start, so we paused to watch that as the camera recorded it. This version was even worse because we were much further from the Castle, so the camera didn’t pick up the sound nearly as well. Maybe someday if I get bored of photography I’ll take up videography; one thing is clear: I currently suck at it.

061910262.jpg

061910263.jpg

061910264.jpg

061910499.jpg

Of course, right when the rain completely stopped, it was time to go. When we arrived at BoardWalk, I mentioned to Sarah that we had yet to get any pictures of us down on the BoardWalk at night. It was the worst possible night to do it of any on the trip, given that we both had gotten soaked and were exhausted, but the water on the wood made the pictures look a little more interesting. Sarah went up before me to get ready for bed as I took a few more pictures. As I left I turned and gave it one last look. I was really going to miss this place; it was easily the best resort at which we’d ever stayed.

062010265.jpg

The next morning we were up bright and early to get checked out and checked into Old Key West before our 11:30 a.m. ADRs at Coral Reef. The checking out part was pretty easy, although we managed to mess it up (second time we’ve done this—did it last time at Fort Wilderness Cabins, too; you’d think we’d learn). I dropped off three of our bags with Bell Services for them to transfer, and informed them that my wife would be bringing one more bag in about 30 minutes. Sarah and I had agreed that she would get ready, pack her ‘getting ready’ stuff in the last suitcase, take it to Bell Services, and meet me at EPCOT. She carried out her end of the bargain without a hitch.

After I dropped off the other bags, I went out the bus stop, planning on catching the first one. When a Studios bus arrived, I got in and the bus driver said “you know I’m going to the Studios, right?” I told him I didn’t care where I went (he presumably told me this because normally buses for the Studios don’t stop at the bus stop, so I’m sure he found it odd that anyone boarded). A couple minutes later, we arrived, and I went to the Old Key West stop. Given my luck in catching a bus there so quickly, I figured it would take a while before I got a bus to OKW, but I had a fair amount of time, so I wasn’t worried.

062010270.jpg

Thirty minutes later, I was a bit surprised to see around 7 buses stop at Coronado Springs’ (I think it was CSR, it could’ve been something else), but none stop at OKW. After forty minutes, when one finally stopped and I started to board it, the driver told me he was only dropping off, and that buses picking up would be marked with something (can’t remember what) on their display. I informed him that I had been waiting for forty minutes and his was the first bus I’d seen for OKW, period, and he told me one should be along shortly. After an hour and fifteen minutes of waiting, another unmarked bus stopped. He told me the same thing when I started to board, and I told him I had been waiting for an hour and fifteen minutes. He indicated that sometimes buses take 20-30 minutes, and I said, “no, not fifteen, an hour and fifteen.” Shocked, he told me that he was going to radio someone, and closed his doors. After a couple of minutes, he told me to come on the bus. Relieved, I boarded, and started to sit, only to have him tell me that he couldn’t take me.

He indicated that he wanted me to come on the bus because he wanted to tell me this in private. He said that normally, there is a spotter who stands out by the bus stops and watches for people who need to go back to their resorts for whatever reason before 11 a.m., as that’s when the return service starts. When that spotter sees someone waiting at a stop, they send for a bus to come. On that particular day, he said there was no spotter, which was why I, and a group of about 8 people waiting for nearly an hour at the Saratoga stop, had not been picked up. He said it was absolutely ridiculous that this had happened, and that I needed to call the head of Transportation, and he gave me the head’s name and contact information. Indicating that he called for a bus and that one should be there for me soon, he closed by saying, “but I didn’t tell you any of this.” I take this as sign of honesty, as usually people only tell you that they’re not the source of information if they could get in trouble for disseminating it, or if it’s untrue. I don’t think he had any reason to lie about it, so I took him for his word, and thanked him. He apologized profusely for the situation, but I told him I understood, and that I realized it wasn’t his fault. I got off the bus, and five minutes later, the bus for Old Key West came to pick me up.

062010271.jpg

I arrived at OKW in a bit of a foul mood, yet I knew I needed to act pleasant so the Cast Member at check-in might give me a better view (and for the obvious reason that it wasn’t her fault that it took an hour and twenty minutes for a bus to pick me up, so it wouldn’t be fair to be sour towards her because of that). Getting a better view assumed as a condition precedent the ability to check-in. The Cast Member at the desk couldn’t find our reservation, so that would be tricky, but they finally found it.

062310725.jpg

After checking in, I went straight to the bus stop to catch a bus to the EPCOT (of course it was the last to arrive, but it was still very quick to arrive) without even stopping at our room. I got to EPCOT only 10 minutes after our ADR was to start, and booked it over to the Coral Reef. To think, when I first caught the Studios bus with such ease, I had these grand visions of riding Soarin’, The Seas, and SpaceShip Earth all before lunch. I met up with Sarah right as our table was ready, so at least that worked out well.

We shared the stories of our mornings, and to add insult to injury, I discovered that she got her picture with Ariel! There are only a couple of face characters with whom I’d ever want pictures, and she is definitely top on the list (I later found out that it was “Princess” Ariel, so I didn’t really care anymore; I want the Mermaid version). That actually made me snap out of the foul mood, as at the time, it just seemed like too much. Come to find out, Sarah also had a frustrating experience when she tried to buy a hat and her room key was rejected (we had this issue earlier; I believe it had been demagnetized). She also indicated that despite indicating that we’d wait for a table close to the aquarium window, we were seated in the row of tables farthest from the aquarium. We laughed about the morning and cheered up, ready to devour some fish.

062010685.jpg

Last edited:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
062010276.jpg

This was our second time at Coral Reef, the first being in 2006. It took us so long to return because the food we had there the first time was underwhelming (except the dessert). We had low expectations this time, and really only booked it because of the ambience. While the ambience was definitely better the previous time when we sat right next to the tank, the food was considerably better this time. It was actually very good, and something I’d highly recommend. The Chocolate Wave was, of course, delicious, too. Our server was inattentive, but it appeared that she was serving a lot of tables. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were short-staffed that day, so I don’t blame her. Still, I expect attentive service (regardless of who is at “fault”) when dining out, so it was still disappointing.

062010274.jpg

062010277.jpg

062010604.jpg

062010601.jpg

062010278.jpg

062010279.jpg

062010281.jpg

With the exception of Illuminations and brief stops in Mexico and Norway for Gran Fiesta Tour and Maelstrom, we hadn’t experienced much of the World Showcase. Thus, we decided this afternoon would be devoted to doing that—after a Living with our Land and a brief trip aboard our spaceship, our SpaceShip Earth.

062010282.jpg

062010283.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
062010288.jpg

062010289.jpg

Sarah had already picked up for us a Kim Possible “Pass,” and we were fully committed to doing it for once (this was roughly the 6th pass we’d picked up, but we always ended up doing something else). We had some time to kill until KP, so we decided to see O’ Canada. Until our October 2009 phototrip, Sarah and I had never seen either of the CircleVision 360 films in the World Showcase. We had this attitude that if we wanted to watch a tourism video, we’d watch it on YouTube. That’s like saying watching Planet Earth on a 3.5” black and white TV is the same as watching it on IMAX. I am really glad that we reluctantly followed those guys to the CircleVision films, as Canada’s is now one of our favorite things in World Showcase. It might be my top favorite.

062010302.jpg

062010304.jpg

062010291.jpg

062010293.jpg

062010300.jpg

After we emerged from Canada, it had started to sprinkle. With only 5 minutes until the next American Adventure show, we decided to go see that while the rain passed. When we entered the theatre, famed Cast Member Lonnie motioned for us to come to the podium, where he said there was a call for us. It was Minnie and Mickey, who wanted to tell us congratulations! Very cool! After we took our seats, Lonnie had us stand and had everyone in the audience give us a round of applause. The show was great as always; I’m sure I’ve made clear in past reports my Patriotism and how the American Adventure always gets me riled up. Lonnie approached us as we were leaving, and took us over to the Liberty Inn and gave us an Apple Cobbler and a certificate in honor of our honeymoon. There’s a reason he’s widely regarded as one of the best Cast Members; talk about making our day!
It was still raining when we exited the Liberty Inn, and I convinced Sarah that it wouldn’t be much fun to do KP in the rain. She agreed, and we contemplated what we could do. We still had a decent amount of money on a Disney Visa Rewards card that we had to use, so we considered doing a mini “Drinking Around the World.” We were a bit hesitant to do this as we’re both frugal and the drinks are expensive, and because we had a late night ahead of us in the MK, and we didn’t want to be anymore exhausted for that then we’d already be.

062010612.jpg

062010308.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
062010305.jpg

A message for blackthidot. Those puppies don't just clean themselves—especially with all the places YOU put them!

We decided to start, and see how things went. If the rain cleared, we’d take another stab at Kim Possible, if not, we’d just do Soarin’ and head over to MK in the early evening. We started in Morocco where Sarah got the Sultan and I got Casablanca. This is a pretty good beer and, I think, it’s one of the cheapest in the World Showcase. After we got the drinks, we sat down with them under an umbrella and chatted for a while as we did some people watching. Next on my list was Canada. I really wanted to try another Unibroue beer. When we arrived in Canada, much to my dismay, I discovered that the outdoor stand did not serve Unibroue. Extremely disappointed, I opted for a Molson while Sarah got a Torontini. I’m not sure why (besides the fact that there was a line behind me so I just impulsively ordered the first thing I saw) as it’s something I could probably buy in any Wal-Mart in the US.

062010310.jpg

062010314.jpg

062010311.jpg

Some ducks were under a tree near a bench in the area, so we went over and did voiceovers for them while doing some more people watching. We saw some interesting people, but watching the baby ducks was far more interesting. After that, we headed to Norway’s Kringla Bakeri og Kafe where I got a Cloudberry Horn and Sarah got the other thing that’s pictured. We heard a lot of positive things about the School Bread, but it was cheaper than the items we did get, so we figured it would be better to use the DDP credits on more expensive items this trip, and save the School Bread for Christmas. Can’t experience everything in one trip, after all. After having our snacks, we stopped at the stand in Norway and got a large Carlsberg Beer to split. Neither of us had ever had it before, and it was probably our favorite.

061710611.jpg

062010316.jpg

062010319.jpg

I got down behind some planters paparazzi-style to introduce this cool foreground bokeh. I thought it was pretty cool, but it got us some weird looks and comments. Sarah had to tell one lady that she knew me!

It was getting fairly late by this point, and we had to decide whether to leave then and beat the post-Illuminations crowd or stay, watch Illuminations, and get stuck in the crowd. We really wanted to try out the new La Cava del Tequila in Mexico, so we decided to do that and then watch Illuminations. For those unfamiliar, La Cava is an actual bar/restaurant, and not a little kiosk like the other beer stands. Accordingly, unless you inquire, the prices aren’t always listed. Assuming it would “only” be $10-12, Sarah and I ordered drinks upon the bartender’s recommendation. Come to find out, the drinks were $25 each! I was sick to my stomach. No matter how good the drink, there is no way it is worth $25. I could not believe it. We could have eaten a table service meal for that price. We learned an important lesson: always ask the price of things, even if it is “tacky.”

062010607.jpg

I think this gentleman agrees with me that Blackthidot's skirt is a little too shirt. Plus, c'mon, rainbow with black? That just clashes!

Although beside ourselves regarding the drinks, we enjoyed Illuminations just the same. We tried to rationalize the amount spent by saying it’s okay to splurge on our honeymoon, but I don’t think either of us really bought that explanation, especially given that wasn’t something on which we had any desire to splurge.

Right when Illuminations ended, we booked it for the exit, but even by this point, we had to wait for three monorails. By the time we finally made it to Magic Kingdom, the fireworks were just starting. It was crowded and it would take too long to set up my tripod, so I just snapped a couple pictures of the fireworks handheld. Not the greatest shots ever, but not bad given the circumstances.

062010321.jpg

062010320.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
After the fireworks, we headed for our old standby, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. It was a nice leisurely voyage, and definitely relaxing after being in mobs of crowds from the start of Illuminations until after the end of the Nightastic fireworks. With the crowds more or less dissipated, the park was much more enjoyable when we exited TTA. Given that it’d been a while since we ate lunch, we decided it was time to eat again. Surprisingly, we weren’t that hungry. My Cloudberry Horn was huge and very filling, so perhaps that was why. Since we’d need to conserve counter service credits a bit, we decided to split a meal. That meant we’d be ordering the half rack of ribs and chicken combo, which is by far the best option to split. Given its size and cost, I’m really surprised it’s still a DDP option.

062110326.jpg

062110325.jpg

062110329.jpg

062110330.jpg

Sorry about these last two shots. On the plus side, you all now have blackmail material on me!

Our friend Nick, who was in our wedding party and is a Cast Member, met up with us at this point for a couple hours. We rode Space Mountain several times, along with the TTA, Big Thunder, and Splash. At closing, we found ourselves in Tomorrowland again. I realize that the fisheye lens is an acquired taste (or better put, not to everyone’s taste), and I realize that I probably over-used it this trip. It was just so fun to use (there’s a reason “everyone” in the Disney photography crowd has been buying them—they’re incredibly fun to use at WDW).

062110331.jpg

062110332.jpg

062110333.jpg

062110338.jpg

062110503.jpg

062110504.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Moreover, certain subjects lent themselves to the lens rather well. On this night of shooting, I discovered one such subject was Tomorrowland. The liquidity of the land’s lines, the curves, and the circular focal points culminate in one delightful land for goin’ fishin’. Once I got on a roll using the fish, I just couldn’t stop. I went with crazy angles, odd compositions, and so on. I thought it made for some interesting images. Sarah, whose constructive criticism I always solicit and appreciate, was less enthused by the pictures. She thought they were awkward and just visually busy. So I guess they are somewhat divisive. I’d be curious to hear some of your takes. We took some pictures there and on Main Street before heading back to Old Key West, feeling completely drained.

062210699.jpg

When we arrived in our room, our luggage wasn’t waiting for us. Great, we thought. Sarah called the front desk, which transferred her to Bell Services. After about 20 minutes, they showed up with our bags. Given that it was after 3:30 a.m., I was actually quite impressed that they got us the bags so quickly. At this time, we also noticed that the room was disgusting. It smelled of mold, the sheets were dirty, and there was actually visible mold or some sort of fungus by the door. When we heard a few weeks after returning that OKW rooms were being renovated, we weren’t shocked in the least. It wasn’t that big of a deal to us, as we would be spending very little time in the room. I still think the resort itself is very pretty. The location obviously isn’t as good as the BoardWalk, but not every resort can be an MK or EPCOT resort.

062210696.jpg

062210697.jpg

062110339.jpg

062110340.jpg

062110690.jpg

We had a later start the next day, heading to the Magic Kingdom around 12:30. After getting to bed after 4 a.m., I think this is fairly understandable. We just can't go non-stop like we used to. After picking up FastPasses for Big Thunder, we headed to Adventureland for a nice air-conditioned ride on Pirates. While exiting, we spotted Pirate Goofy entering the area. There was barely anyone in the area, so we immediately jumped into line. I really wish they'd bring back the other pirate characters; the one Pirate and Princess Party we attended had a few out, and we weren't able to get pictures with them. That's probably one of my biggest character picture regrets. That, and my mom not being able to find our family pictures with me and Dreamfinder. Although I don't know if I can regret someone else's acts or omissions.

062110689.jpg

062110505.jpg

062110341.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom