Disneyland's 75th Anniversary: Desires and Predictions

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
How naive I was.
Weren't we all? It really is sad. Maybe things will change in 34 years for the 100th.
Kind of sad to say, but 9 years maybe lines up with a realistic expenditure timeline again. We've got a couple of years for the company to underinvest, attendance to drastically rebound and the inevitable 6-7 years it takes for the projects to actually come to fruition.

9 years of low expectations ahead!

One thing is for sure, it most likely can't be worse than WDW's 50th.
I haven't be following WDW's 50th, but it seems they won't be getting any new entertainment, is that correct? I've seen photos of Cinderella Castle and it reminds me of ours. Why is it pink and blue? I've yet to see any commercials or advertisement in general for the celebration either.

I believe you're right, a Disneyland 75th celebration will most likely be better. Disneyland has the upper hand of being the original, and based on Disney's track record for DL celebrations within the last 20 years, we actually get a decent to adequate amount of attention/new offerings. Even the 60th was pretty significant and blew away my expectations (I figured we'd get new merchandise and special food items and that's all). I have no doubt that we'll at least get new entertainment in nine years.

DCA, on the other hand... Maybe not.

BrianLo

I haven't be following WDW's 50th, but it seems they won't be getting any new entertainment, is that correct? I've seen photos of Cinderella Castle and it reminds me of ours. Why is it pink and blue? I've yet to see any commercials or advertisement in general for the celebration either.

I believe you're right, a Disneyland 75th celebration will most likely be better. Disneyland has the upper hand of being the original, and based on Disney's track record for DL celebrations within the last 20 years, we actually get a decent to adequate amount of attention/new offerings. Even the 60th was pretty significant and blew away my expectations (I figured we'd get new merchandise and special food items and that's all). I have no doubt that we'll at least get new entertainment in nine years.

DCA, on the other hand... Maybe not.

To be completely fair to WDW, it is not its fault in the least. The 50th (whatever it was supposed to be) was completely kiboshed by the Pandemic. I think it mostly consists now of an attraction and show in Epcot that should have opened a year ago. Plus a very light marketing campaign and some flourishes.

It's mostly disappointing because the entertainment refresh (parades) they so desperately needed are now not happening.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
To be completely fair to WDW, it is not its fault in the least. The 50th (whatever it was supposed to be) was completely kiboshed by the Pandemic. I think it mostly consists now of an attraction and show in Epcot that should have opened a year ago. Plus a very light marketing campaign and some flourishes.

It's mostly disappointing because the entertainment refresh (parades) they so desperately needed are now not happening.
I forgot to mention the pandemic in my original response. I figured it has something to do with it, too.

Bad timing, which sucks for the fans.

CaptinEO

The Guardians Coaster and Tron Coaster were supposed to be done for the 50th as well, Ratatouille was supposed to be done by summer 2020. There was a Mary Poppins area announced for Epcot, but no known timeline, not sure if its been axed or not. It'd truly be a shame as Mary Poppins is Disney as a company at its best.

el_super

9 years of low expectations ahead!

One thing is for sure, it most likely can't be worse than WDW's 50th.

I wouldn't mind at all... if Disneyland's 75th Anniversary was a very low key affair. I'm not a big fan of the year-long-but-really-18-months "celebrations loosely tied to some IP and some concept of family."

Having Disneyland is enough to celebrate having Disneyland. A new firework show and maybe a new stage show or parade. Some fresh paint and a catchy theme song. That's all.

The one thing I dislike, and the thing WDW is now guilty of, is trying to tie in a random new attraction as part of a "birthday" celebration. I'm not entirely sure how Ratatouille relates to WDW or Epcot as a whole, and it makes little sense in the context of a anniversary celebration. For that matter, neither does Tron or Guardians.

I suppose Splash Mountain doesn't either.

truecoat

The Guardians Coaster and Tron Coaster were supposed to be done for the 50th as well, Ratatouille was supposed to be done by summer 2020. There was a Mary Poppins area announced for Epcot, but no known timeline, not sure if its been axed or not. It'd truly be a shame as Mary Poppins is Disney as a company at its best.

I'm pretty sure I heard the Mary Poppins carousel was cut.

PiratesMansion

As much as I would love a Mary Poppins ride, the cancelled attraction was a carousel.

I'm completely fine with Epcot continuing to not have a carousel, as much as I imagine it would have been more tastefully done than, say, Jesse's.

Stevek

Some of these probably aren't feasible but hey, can't hurt to thrown them out there...

New Fireworks
New Parade
Redo of Tomorrowland, a new peoplemover is a must
Additional Attraction in Galaxy's Edge (it's not going anywhere)
Redo of Hollywood Land in DCA
Westcot ;) in Toy Story Lot (gotta dream big)
New Hotel in place of Paradise Pier
Expansion of DCA into Simba Lot
Expansion of DL into the old DTD lot
Fix Toontown
Either expand FL to where the FL theater is or have a high quality show there
Reduce footprint of Autopia and use some of that space along with the old motor boat area for a new FL attraction

Brer Oswald

Tomorrowland is in desperate need of help. A complete overhaul that pays homage to the unrealistic future of the original land (weird sleek architecture, giant robots, fictional civilizations on other planets). It will never happen, but Tomorrowland had such a unique identity, and it just doesn’t anymore.

el_super

Tomorrowland is in desperate need of help.

Tomorrowland's normal state is a "desperate need of help."

A complete overhaul that pays homage to the unrealistic future of the original land (weird sleek architecture, giant robots, fictional civilizations on other planets). It will never happen, but Tomorrowland had such a unique identity, and it just doesn’t anymore.

Wasn't that Tomorrowland 98?

el_super

98 was very “steam punk” and Jules Verne focussed. I’m more referring to the visions of Tomorrowland from the old Disneyland anthology show.

Kinda, I guess.. but yeah Tomorrowland 98 was supposed to be a tribute to the old style of Disneyland's Tomorrowland. That's why they brought back the Moonliner and put the old Peoplemover Cars and Mouse-o-rail back in. That's why they painted the 20k sub on the mural. Part of the premise was to poke fun at how silly those old visions of the future were compared to what we got. I mean MST3k was pretty popular in the 90s.

CaptinEO

My honest prediction for the 75th:

Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters Removed - Positively portrays police officers and gun usage
Abraham Lincoln Removed - It's a historically controversial figure
Walt Disney Statue Removed - He's the guy that made all the racist rides and films that have to be expunged from history
City Hall Removed - Don't want to remind people of Portland
Peter Pan Removed
Dumbo Removed
Launch Bay Removed - Too many star wars stores, no need for it
Small World Removed - Each culture is appropriated with stereotypical attire, settings, and dolls with stereotypical features

I think the removal of Astroblasters and Launch Bay will be part of an entire Tommorowland Retheme. Mr. Lincoln could potentially become a history lesson with Fredrick Douglas or Dr. Martin Luther King. I see the space for It's A Small World becoming an Arrendelle boat ride of sorts, they could also make the facade a castle.

Brer Oswald

Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters Removed - Positively portrays police officers and gun usage
Walt Disney Statue Removed - He's the guy that made all the racist rides and films that have to be expunged from history
Peter Pan Removed
Dumbo Removed
Small World Removed - Each culture is appropriated with stereotypical attire, settings, and dolls with stereotypical features

I think the removal of Astroblasters and Launch Bay will be part of an entire Tommorowland Retheme. Mr. Lincoln could potentially become a history lesson with Fredrick Douglas or Dr. Martin Luther King. I see the space for It's A Small World becoming an Arrendelle boat ride of sorts, they could also make the facade a castle.
Launch Bay will definitely go eventually. The Astro Blasters thing has been rumoured. As for the rest of it, just no.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

Peter Pan Removed
Dumbo Removed

What?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom