DisneylandForward

yensidtlaw1969

Wait, the proposed Disneyland expansion would take the entire DTD lot, Uber drop off and Stitch lot? Wow that’s more room than I thought.

So can we please hold off on Frog Mountain and expand NOS and then put an original PatF ride there? Please?
The Death Knell of Splash Mountain as we know it has been rung. Tiana's not being brought in out of a desperate plea to bring her in - there is a committed effort within the company to do away with Song of the South and its characters.

You could build a Princess and the Frog attraction elsewhere, but it wouldn't spare the Brers. The fact of the matter is that removing them is the highest priority, and what they are replaced with is a secondary consideration to that.

mickEblu

The Death Knell of Splash Mountain as we know it has been rung. Tiana's not being brought in out of a desperate plea to bring her in - there is a committed effort within the company to do away with Song of the South and its characters.

You could build a Princess and the Frog attraction elsewhere, but it wouldn't spare the Brers. The fact of the matter is that removing them is the highest priority, and what they are replaced with is a secondary consideration to that.

I know. I know. Can a man dream though?

But anyway... Here’s how my brain works... Disney didn’t / doesn’t really want to retheme Splash but decided to announce it during the height of BLM to get some bonus points. Flash forward Biden is in power. The perception is that racial tension has calmed down and Disney sees that a NOS expansion is possible so they come out and say “we decided Tiana deserves an original attraction and now that we have the space we re going to give her one.” In the meantime they take a new approach with Splash and tackle it head on with marketing to explain why it’s insensitive and it doesn’t reflect the companies current values nor does the ride portray any of the movies problematic elements. Which is honestly is how they should have handled it in the first place.

Is this probable? No. Do I think there is a teeny tiny chance? Sure

BayouShack

I know. I know. Can a man dream though?

But anyway... Here’s how my brain works... Disney didn’t / doesn’t really want to retheme Splash but decided to announce it during the height of BLM to get some bonus points. Flash forward Biden is in power. The perception is that racial tension has calmed down and Disney sees that a NOS expansion is possible so they come out and say “we decided Tiana deserves an original attraction and now that we have the space we re going to give her one.” In the meantime they take a new approach with Splash and tackle it head on with marketing to explain why it’s insensitive and it doesn’t reflect the companies current values nor does the ride portray any of the movies problematic elements. Which is honestly is how they should have handled it in the first place.

Is this probable? No. Do I think there is a teeny tiny chance? Sure

New Tiana ride taking over ODV + Country Bear integration into Splash... and the crowd goes wild.

trolol123

as someone who lived through the DCA expansion and remembers the tease strawberry field third gate stuff from the late 90s/early 2000s

I am cautiously optimistic. I don't know how much I care for the tentative plans, but I do like the idea of expansion from their current landlocked position. I also just wouldn't get my hopes up period, because like I said, I remember my DCA excitement.

overall though, I am open to opening things up to expansion, just not gonna get on the hype train yet.

Darkbeer1

The eastern gateway was completely left out of this proposal. Even the space penned for DCA expansion is ... Not shown as such.

So yeah... Feeling pretty good about that statement.

From the Media Fact Sheet.

>>To support future development over the next few decades, DisneylandForward would include:

Continued investment in transportation, transit and pedestrian safety to improve mobility throughout the Anaheim Resort

• A new east parking destination with a new pedestrian bridge and access for Harbor hotels and businesses

• Investing in and encouraging use of public transit and ride-sharing for cast and guests<<

And is Disney down playing this part of the project? Yes.

Darkbeer1

From the Media Fact Sheet:

>>What is DisneylandForward?

DisneylandForward is a multiyear public planning effort that the Disneyland Resort is launching to update our existing 1990s development approvals with the City of Anaheim to allow for more integrated experiences and investment. Disney is not seeking any public funding for DisneylandForward, nor are we seeking additional square footage or hotel rooms beyond what is currently approved and allowed. Rather, we are simply working with the city and community to update our existing approvals to allow for integrated development to be located and built throughout Disney properties. We are at the very early stages of this effort with the city, and this multiyear process will include many opportunities for public involvement.<<

Robbiem

So how are they going to handle sightlines when there are two hotels in the middle of everything? They're not. You're going to look at Moana and see a big hotel looming over the ride.
Keeping the Disneyland and Paradise Pier hotels isn't something I really understand. If you want zoning freedom then its a real opportunity to clear all that land and integrate new accommodation into the park expansions in a much more land efficient way. Imagine if accommodation was built above the park like the Miracosta in Tokyo. Having an old hotel sitting in the middle of a new theme park area is just odd to me, especially if you're selling a dream you're not going to end up building!

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Keeping the Disneyland and Paradise Pier hotels isn't something I really understand. If you want zoning freedom then its a real opportunity to clear all that land and integrate new accommodation into the park expansions in a much more land efficient way. Imagine if accommodation was built above the park like the Miracosta in Tokyo. Having an old hotel sitting in the middle of a new theme park area is just odd to me, especially if you're selling a dream you're not going to end up building!
I’d rather they bulldoze those two hotels and build brand new ones with better designs. Heck, use the old designs from Westcot Center. Those hotel designs look much nicer.

el_super

From the Media Fact Sheet.

>>To support future development over the next few decades, DisneylandForward would include:

Continued investment in transportation, transit and pedestrian safety to improve mobility throughout the Anaheim Resort

• A new east parking destination with a new pedestrian bridge and access for Harbor hotels and businesses

• Investing in and encouraging use of public transit and ride-sharing for cast and guests<<

And is Disney down playing this part of the project? Yes.

How does that differ from the parking lot and bridge they are already technically allowed to build?

britain

I’d rather they bulldoze those two hotels and build brand new ones with better designs. Heck, use the old designs from Westcot Center. Those hotel designs look much nicer.

They very well still might. They are just trying to show off what could be done in the “in-between spaces” for which they need zoning to change.

TP2000

There's a long decades-old story why the Paradise Pier is untouchable and sits there exempt from planning documents like this.

I don't have all the answers, but I know the old Cliff's Notes version of the story and its being discussed here...

fctiger

View attachment 542365

Highest quality photo I've been able to find.

OMG, this DisneyForward thing just got super real lol! This is very exciting!! I thought we talking about more parking lots and three additional Starbucks. I didn't think they were talking about expanding the parks themselves!

I know this is all just more of a proposal and nothing is confirmed, but just the fact they are pushing for this as a possibility is great.

I'm sure the website has shown this, but this is literally the same idea what they are doing in Tokyo DisneySea and Fantasy Springs that is an expansion of new lands, by extending it into one of their existing parking lots.

It's funny, I use to see a few people propose a possible Star Wars land into the DTD parking areas. And the idea of proposing more DCA territory has also been suggested for a long time into the space where this is now. But this is great. Everyone was so worried Disney was going to build less things due do the pandemic and they are going the opposite. That also means that the Avengers ride will still get built as well.

And like TDR, this is just a better idea of trying to build a third theme park somewhere else. Just focus on the two parks you have now and keep expanding them.

As a global Disney fan, there is just so many things happening in the next few years which I plan to see as much as possible. But it's always exciting to have something fall in your backyard too!

I really hope this happens!

Last edited:

doctornick

The smaller plot southeast (nearer to the convention center) - seems too small to be a full fledged theme park, but is it possible it could be used for a water park? Seems like that would be a space appropriate compliment to the existing theme parks.

fctiger

The smaller plot southeast (nearer to the convention center) - seems too small to be a full fledged theme park, but is it possible it could be used for a water park? Seems like that would be a space appropriate compliment to the existing theme parks.

The few videos I seen, they are suggesting it could be basically an extended DTD area or something closer to Disney Springs.

I just went to the site itself and that's what they are basically suggesting.

fctiger

It's an actual bona-fide master plan!

Sure we can be all pessimistic that it will never happen, but it's quite nice they maybe have a plan again.

I've never considered expanding Disneyland in such a manner, just DCA. But I really what what it does for the resort and adding the secondary entrances.

Exactly!

That is what is so exciting, that they want to expand DL itself! After GE, I kind of thought that would be it! The last time DL got a major expansion before GE was literally Toon Town and that was nearly 30 years ago now. So even if they did expand in the future, it could be decades away. The fact they are presenting it as a possibility now is super exciting. We could have another expansion of it in the next decade if things go right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom