DisneylandForward

shambolicdefending

They 100% need to do this. The system WDW and many other parks use basically means that people are almost never stopped, practically eliminating a huge bottleneck.

WDW is so much better at everything that happens before you actually enter the parks. It makes no sense that DLR is still using the practices they do when basically every other Disney resort on the planet, and indeed several non-Disney parks, are much better at it.

Maybe at this point they keep the current procedures in place because they're worried that they'd just end up with pandemonium in the Esplanade if Security is less of a bottleneck? It gets pretty slammed outside the turnstiles as it is the first few hours the parks are open even with the current, slow security procedures. Move people through the faster scanners and the current lines at the turnstiles would balloon and potentially run into each other.

I hope that's not actually the reason why we have the security setup we do, but I'm struggling to think of other reasons why the current setup makes any sense.
Several sports teams in SoCal are using the same system as WDW for their security perimeters, as well.

Knowing Disneyland, it's probably either a cost issue, or a law enforcement cooperation issue that's kept them from transitioning.

They may not want to budget in the infrastructure and training for it. Or maybe Anaheim PD won't agree to it.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Several sports teams in SoCal are using the same system as WDW for their security perimeters, as well.

Knowing Disneyland, it's probably either a cost issue, or a law enforcement cooperation issue that's kept them from transitioning.

They may not want to budget in the infrastructure and training for it. Or maybe Anaheim PD won't agree to it.
They have them at Angel Stadium so I don’t think it’s a city issue.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's a list of the upcoming DisneylandForward Community Coffee events.

May 20 - Ponderosa Park, 2100 S. Haster St.
June 3 - Walnut Grove Park, 905 S. Anaheim Blvd.
June 10 - Boysen Park, 951 S. State College Blvd.
July 8 - Maxwell Park, 2655 W. Orange Ave.
July 22 - Barton Park, 800 S. Agate St.
Aug. 12 - Juarez Park, 841 S. Sunkist St.
Sept. 9 - Pearson Park, 400 N. Harbor Blvd.
Oct. 14 - Ronald Reagan Park, 945 S. Weir Canyon Rd.

"Each of the DisneylandForward Community Coffees run from 9-11 a.m. and offer opportunities to find out more about the plans and ask questions."

TP2000

What kind of coffee are they serving at these PR events?

If it's that yummy coffee they always serve at the Disneyland Hotel Convention Center events, I would go out of my way to attend.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

One of the key sticking points folded into DL Forward is the revival of the eastern gateway for DCA expansion. When DL Forward gets the green light, how quickly do you think it will be before they start building this new parking structure? And when that happens does this mean that what may have been planned for Hollywoodland before COVID could be revived or would this be something new?

Nirya

I have always assumed DisneyForward was just a bit of fancy marketing for what Disney has really wanted: the Eastern Gateway completed and rezoning on everything else they owned so they could do whatever they wanted with it. The concept art was pretty lazy when it first came out (if I recall, it was just images they'd created for previous projects slapped together with the idea of "maybe we do something like this!") but if Disney can simply get the Eastern Gateway approved and construction on it beginning, they'd likely call it a win and move on.

choco choco

One of the key sticking points folded into DL Forward is the revival of the eastern gateway for DCA expansion. When DL Forward gets the green light, how quickly do you think it will be before they start building this new parking structure? And when that happens does this mean that what may have been planned for Hollywoodland before COVID could be revived or would this be something new?

Do they need another parking structure? When the Eastern Gateway was cancelled, they hurriedly built the Pixar Pals parking lot. So that takes care of what the Eastern Gateway was supposed to supply. They still think they need more? Then why was the Eastern Gateway plan submitted with insufficient parking when they asked for approval?

shambolicdefending

I have always assumed DisneyForward was just a bit of fancy marketing for what Disney has really wanted: the Eastern Gateway completed and rezoning on everything else they owned so they could do whatever they wanted with it.
This is basically my assumption. If Disney gets what it's asking for it effectively ends the need to ever deal with the tumultuous city government again on a major project.

Nirya

Do they need another parking structure? When the Eastern Gateway was cancelled, they hurriedly built the Pixar Pals parking lot. So that takes care of what the Eastern Gateway was supposed to supply. They still think they need more? Then why was the Eastern Gateway plan submitted with insufficient parking when they asked for approval?
It's more to future-proof the parking, I assume. Moving the transportation drop-off further off-site will free up space north of Hollywood Land, and the extra parking would free up Toy Story for future development if and when they choose to do so.

Honestly, they'd ideally build another parking structure north of the Disneyland Hotel/former ESPN Zone for DTD and free up the south side for future development as well. Disneyland doesn't need that land and realistically should not push development that way.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Part of DisneylandForward is turning the Toy Story parking lot into a shopping district, so they'd need to replace those spaces.

truecoat

It's more to future-proof the parking, I assume. Moving the transportation drop-off further off-site will free up space north of Hollywood Land, and the extra parking would free up Toy Story for future development if and when they choose to do so.

Honestly, they'd ideally build another parking structure north of the Disneyland Hotel/former ESPN Zone for DTD and free up the south side for future development as well. Disneyland doesn't need that land and realistically should not push development that way.

Yep, if they are really going to follow through with the whole Disneyland Forward plan, they'll need the parking to replace all the lot space that will close.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm too lazy to go back and look at the old EGW thread for the exact number, but as I recall it was always said that even with a new parking structure DLR was still lacking enough spots to meet future needs, something like in the thousands. Not to mention what others have said about moving spots around for future expansion.

Also just an FYI, Pixar Pals max is 6500 (number varies depending on source) spots while Pumbaa Structure from EGW would have been 6900, meaning they even lost at least 400 (if not more) spots just by going the Pixar Pals route.

And with 2028 rapidly approaching I suspect the Pumbaa Structure gets revived really quickly next spring.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I'm too lazy to go back and look at the old EGW thread for the exact number, but as I recall it was always said that even with a new parking structure DLR was still lacking enough spots to meet future needs, something like in the thousands. Not to mention what others have said about moving spots around for future expansion.

Also just an FYI, Pixar Pals max is 6500 (number varies depending on source) spots while Pumbaa Structure from EGW would have been 6900, meaning they even lost at least 400 (if not more) spots just by going the Pixar Pals route.

And with 2028 rapidly approaching I suspect the Pumbaa Structure gets revived really quickly next spring.
Where would the Pumbaa structure go if it gets revived? In place of the Toy Story lot?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Where would the Pumbaa structure go if it gets revived? In place of the Toy Story lot?
The same site where it was proposed before as part of the Eastern Gateway project, on top of the current surface Pumbaa lot at Manchester/Clementine and Disney Way which is currently being used as CM parking (sometimes overflow) I believe.

Here is an old pic from the original project showing it purple in the lower right.

cpiy5g7uiaadnk2-jpg.155374

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Part of DisneylandForward is turning the Toy Story parking lot into a shopping district, so they'd need to replace those spaces.

Considering how many acres the Toy Story lot is, I would think Disney would rather turn it into another theme park. Disney is also moving away from brick and morter as well. They are using a Disney Spring like area as an example of the no bounds to zoning they want.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Considering how many acres the Toy Story lot is, I would think Disney would rather turn it into another theme park.
The Disneyland Resort is definitely in need of its own water park.
The same site where it was proposed before as part of the Eastern Gateway project, on top of the current surface Pumbaa lot at Manchester/Clementine and Disney Way which is currently being used as CM parking (sometimes overflow) I believe.

Here is an old pic from the original project showing it purple in the lower right.

cpiy5g7uiaadnk2-jpg.155374
The reason that was rejected because the nearby tenants didn't like the plan.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Disneyland Resort is definitely in need of its own water park.
Its survived without a water park for 68 years I'm sure it can continue to survive without a water park that would be closed for at least 3 months out of the year.

The reason that was rejected because the nearby tenants didn't like the plan.
The Pumbaa parking structure was never the issue and wasn't the reason why the Eastern Gateway was cancelled. It was the bridge or more specifically rerouting all foot traffic away from the Harbor businesses by having no access to the bridge from Harbor that was the issue.

That Pumbaa parking structure in that same location has always been part of the Resort Plan, in fact Disney could still build the parking structure today if they wanted to. However without the bridge to handle all that new foot traffic crossing Harbor it'll be a traffic nightmare. Anaheim wants to remove the crosswalk at Harbor to improve safety and traffic flow, this has always been part of the plan. Which is why the bridge was part of the Eastern Gateway project, so Anaheim can remove the crosswalk, ie a win-win for Disney and Anaheim.

Any revived Eastern Gateway as part of Disneyland Forward will include the parking structure in that same location from the original plan, and will ensure that any issues with the bridge will be resolved and acceptable by the local community. Specifically the new plan, as I understand it, is to allow access to the bridge from Harbor and thus eliminating the rerouting of foot traffic away from the Harbor businesses. So now it would be a win-win-win for Disney, Anaheim, and the local Harbor businesses. And as I understand it, they already have acceptance of this new plan from the local Harbor businesses.

shambolicdefending

DisneylandForward feels significant to me, because I think it just might end up being the final phase of the resort's build out. If they get the Eastern gateway and expand the parks across Disneyland Drive, that may be the end of significant expansion.

I know there will always be talk of a third gate and the property south of Katella, but I still lean towards thinking that ends up as a permanent mixed dining/hotel/retail space, and Anaheim never gets another park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom