DisneylandForward

DLR92

So, I was in a long Zoom meeting this morning including multiple CM's and city reps. I am going to discuss the part that had us preview and critique the DLR presentation that is planned to be presented to community groups and others, aka public info, so I am not going to get into trouble for disclosing internal info, but even with what I post, I am going to err to the conservative answers.

One very interesting point, the current Disneyland Resort Specific Plan (DRSP) from the 1990's allows 6 million square feet of Theme Park Development. Including SW:GE and Avengers Campus, only 3 Million has development, so Disney has more than enough now. They just really need a place to build. The main backstage area (north of DL) gave up 30% for SW:GE and 15% for Runaway Railroad.

Disney is just starting the Public Scoping period, which is required by law for planning commission purposes, basically public input. The next step is the EIR, required due to CEQA, it is the Environment report, also required prior to going in front of the planning commission.

Outreach to the Hotels/Businesses has started in regards to the Eastern Gateway and how to provide access, etc. Disney made it clear they don't want a repeat of the first attempt. But it is clear that the project has a high priority in the overall scope of things.

DisneylandForward is "A Planning Process" and all the artwork was Vague on purpose

The Toy Story lot will be a mixed use, and not a Third Park. Think more like a Disney Springs, aka DtD upgrade. They also stated that you shouldn't look at the current access points remaining in use. While Gene Autry Way wasn't mentioned, it was hinted at a couple of times. Seems like that will be a negotiation chip in the upcoming months/years.

The PPH was left off due to the fact Disney doesn't own the land, but might still be added depending on how ongoing talks with the landowner goes.

A pedestrian bridge at Harbor and Katella was brought up, as was the Pedestrian Bridge for the Eastern Gateway.

I think that was it.

My biggest critique was that more needs to be added to what tangible benefits the city, its residents and businesses will get out of the deal. If your presentation is designed for them and wanting their support, you need to give them things, similar to the Vague Artwork. Not everyone is a Disney/Theme Park Fan, and you need something for those folks to understand and accept. Alas, Jobs, tax revenue and economic benefits are not "things" some folks understand.

The business end was fairly positive with the economy opening up, the Green Tier, and the new Convention Center.

Nothing exciting regarding tonight's City Council meeting.
Long dead of the idea of a third park! Lol

PiratesMansion

In the current business climate, a fifth park in the swamp is probably more viable and attractive than a third one in Anaheim.
Probably, but I'm not sure that WDW wants a 5th park for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that Animal Kingdom cannibalized attendance from the older three when it opened rather than adding new visitors to the complex as a whole.

Better to focus on the three parks that need fixing, and the four parks that need capacity.

DLR92

Probably, but I'm not sure that WDW wants a 5th park for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that Animal Kingdom cannibalized attendance from the older three when it opened rather than adding new visitors to the complex as a whole.

Better to focus on the three parks that need fixing, and the four parks that need capacity.
WDW other parks definitely need more attractions! I don’t think a 5th park is on the table beyond the future either. Animal Kingdom did not bring stellar attendance upon opening.

PiratesMansion

Yes, do that and THEN build the fifth park.
Even then I'm not sure it's justifiable.

It sounds great, but the reality is that American vacation time has shrunken over time, wages have stayed pretty stagnant, and Disney's prices have been...not remotely stagnant.

Many people find the property has more than enough to fill a week's worth of time, and plenty of people don't even go for a week.

Disney still can't convince the people that go to Magic Kingdom to go to the other three existing parks (it would help if they understood their product and embraced differentiating them instead of turning them all into Magic Kingdom reduxes, but I digress).

And I'm not sure I'd trust the current WDI to deliver anything that would truly blow people away for the right reasons.

It's a nice idea, but it's unlikely to happen and, in my view, unlikely to satisfy in the remote chance that it does.

fradz

Disney is just starting the Public Scoping period, which is required by law for planning commission purposes, basically public input. The next step is the EIR, required due to CEQA, it is the Environment report, also required prior to going in front of the planning commission.

Do you have any updates on that? I have no idea how long that's supposed to take in USA, let alone CA.

TP2000

Do you have any updates on that? I have no idea how long that's supposed to take in USA, let alone CA.

In California the public input process generally lasts a month or two. But it precedes any actual work by at least several years.

In the rest of the USA that timeline is often condensed quite a bit. But in California, we like to drag things out for years and years and years to keep Sacramento bigwig bureaucrats employed so The French Laundry can stay in business. See: California High Speed Rail.

truecoat

but any mention of disneylandforward from an account with "anaheim" in the name MUST be an official announcement????? right?????????

/s

Disneyland already announced that they have tentative plans. The Anaheim PD is using said announcement to recruit new officers as they probably have some openings. They will probably need more officers if and when Disneyland expands but they aren't hiring for that now.

CaptinEO

I like how people get excited over the announcement of plans to expand that have zero specifics. People need to get a life.

Being excited about Disney wanting to build things is like acting surprised apple is working on a new iphone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom