DisneylandForward

mickEblu

You can't tell me that you'd be upset if Disney next week said in a blog post -

"We've decided that after years of guest enjoyment that similar to the land coming to Hollywood Studios as one of the first projects of DisneylandForward we're building Monstropolis into the new section of California Adventure being built on the former Simba parking lot. This will include the much talked about Doors Coasters with new scenes for a unique experience. This however means that as part of our expansion we'll need to say goodbye to Monsters Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue in the Hollywood Backlot as we make way for the new Avatar experience that we previously announced."

You'd be upset with that because its not going in the Backlot?

Lol man you really wanna keep talking about this. No I wouldn’t be upset but it would feel somewhat like a wasted opportunity. But I’d be happy still because that’s one less trackless Zootopia ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Lol man you really wanna keep talking about this. No I wouldn’t be upset but it would feel somewhat like a wasted opportunity. But I’d be happy still because that’s one less trackless Zootopia ride.
I think it would be the best outcome of all the possibilities mentioned so far.

Oh and Zootopia with its two trackless rides would go in the land next door to Monstropolis.... ;)

MistaDee

You can't tell me that you'd be upset if Disney next week said in a blog post -

"We've decided that after years of guest enjoyment that similar to the land coming to Hollywood Studios as one of the first projects of DisneylandForward we're building Monstropolis into the new section of California Adventure being built on the former Simba parking lot. This will include the much talked about Doors Coasters with new scenes for a unique experience. This however means that as part of our expansion we'll need to say goodbye to Monsters Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue in the Hollywood Backlot as we make way for the new Avatar experience that we previously announced."

You'd be upset with that because its not going in the Backlot?

I am curious what sort of vibes they go for in the Disneyland Forward plot. I think having a really appealing view from the hotels will be a factor to justify increased "park-view" prices.

Personally, I don't find Zootopia or Monstropolis to be particularly visually appealing, besides the "Monsters!" or "Animals!" twist - the structural core of both settings is just a basic urban streetscape which is closer to the Hollywood Backlot than Pandora. Hollywood Studios in Orlando can have north american exclusitivity if I got to be in charge of Anaheim's plans.

Bulldoze the backlot for Pandora and use the Simba lot for truly transportative, visually striking, immersive themed environments that you can only find at Disney this side of the Mississippi.

I'm beating my drum for a differentiated Villain's Land, plus maybe an epic Volcano Bay area that can match some of the sorta mid-century Polynesian vibes that gave us Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel (and was in full kitschy vogue in the 50s). Peter Pan, Moana even a Tony Baxter Discovery Bay or DisneySea Mysterious Isle type attractions could co-exist in this sorta space.

Looks like someone in the concept art department had some similar blue sky thinking

1729366197221.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I am curious what sort of vibes they go for in the Disneyland Forward plot. I think having a really appealing view from the hotels will be a factor to justify increased "park-view" prices.

Personally, I don't find Zootopia or Monstropolis to be particularly visually appealing, besides the "Monsters!" or "Animals!" twist - the structural core of both settings is just a basic urban streetscape which is closer to the Hollywood Backlot than Pandora. Hollywood Studios in Orlando can have north american exclusitivity if I got to be in charge of Anaheim's plans.

Bulldoze the backlot for Pandora and use the Simba lot for truly transportative, visually striking, immersive themed environments that you can only find at Disney this side of the Mississippi.

I'm beating my drum for a differentiated Villain's Land, plus maybe an epic Volcano Bay area that can match some of the sorta mid-century Polynesian vibes that gave us Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel (and was in full kitschy vogue in the 50s). Peter Pan, Moana even a Tony Baxter Discovery Bay or DisneySea Mysterious Isle type attractions could co-exist in this sorta space.

Looks like someone in the concept art department had some similar blue sky thinking

View attachment 821338
I wouldn't be opposed to that, but that would mean that DLR wouldn't get the doors coaster. As long as you're ok with that I'm down.

MistaDee

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but that would mean that DLR wouldn't get the doors coaster. As long as you're ok with that I'm down.

I think trying to keep attractions exclusive within a continent is a smarter long term play for Disney - though I think having different concepts for the same IP is still very worthwhile like our Pandora vs Animal Kingdom

If I were Disney I’d harvest DCA’s Monsters Inc assets for Monstropolis a la America Sings for Splash

View attachment 821338
I’ll have to look for it again but not too long ago they showed off a wakanda expansion of avengers campus as part of Disneyland forward. So hopefully it’ll finally give us an avengers land that is the same quality as galaxy’s edge

mickEblu

View attachment 821338

Yeah this is why I kind of don't really want Monsters unless it goes in the backlot. The atmosphere doesn't really do anything for me but as an upgrade to the ugly backlot and unused Hyperion? Yes please. I suppose if it were to go in one of the DL Forward plots it would still be better than Toy Story land or Zootopia land IMO. But at that point I'll just take my chances on a different coaster. With that said, there's also a part of me that believes if the Doors coaster doesn't go in DCA proper that only two more coasters might be coming to DLR - an E ticket and a kiddie/ family one. If Doors goes in DCA proper that gives you a much greater chance at increasing the net coaster count for DLR. Anyway this is all armchair imagineering stuff as we don't have one solitary rumor that Monstrpolis or the Doors coaster are coming to DLR.

I'm definitely in favor of a Villains land going into DL Forward although I think it would make more sense on the DL side.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Yeah this is why I kind of don't really want Monsters unless it goes in the backlot. The atmosphere doesn't really do anything for me but as an upgrade to the ugly backlot and unused Hyperion? Yes please. I suppose if it were to go in one of the DL Forward plots it would still be better than Toy Story land or Zootopia land IMO. But at that point I'll just take my chances on a different coaster. With that said, there's also a part of me that believes if the Doors coaster doesn't go in DCA proper that only two more coasters might be coming to DLR - an E ticket and a kiddie/ family one. If Doors goes in DCA proper that gives you a much greater chance at increasing the net coaster count for DLR. Anyway this is all armchair imagineering stuff as we don't have one solitary rumor that Monstrpolis or the Doors coaster are coming to DLR.

I'm definitely in favor of a Villains land going into DL Forward although I think it would make more sense on the DL side.
I kept reading "Doors coaster" as like a Jim Morrison West Coast equivalent to Rockin' Roller Coaster. Which would fit the fast-dwindling California theme of the park. Oh, now I get what you meant...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’ll have to look for it again but not too long ago they showed off a wakanda expansion of avengers campus as part of Disneyland forward. So hopefully it’ll finally give us an avengers land that is the same quality as galaxy’s edge
In the concept art it wasn't to be an expansion of Avengers Campus, but a whole new land in the DLForward plots.

MistaDee

I don't think you could really do a proper villains land at DCA due to the restrictions of the Simba lot laid out in the DL Forward environmental impact plan.

Are there specific restrictions you're alluding to? Height limit and noise pollution are clearly established with generous error bars. Nothing I've read would prevent them from doing villains land proper

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I don't think you could really do a proper villains land at DCA due to the restrictions of the Simba lot laid out in the DL Forward environmental impact plan.
We talked about this a lot when DLF was being approved.

This is the sky exposure plane for Walnut Ave.

1729474243267.png

And based on that this is how far in a structure as tall as the Matterhorn would need to be:

1729474295539.png

As long as they butt lower height show buildings up against the Walnut side there really shouldn't be a problem with doing tall structures like rockwork and castles in the Simba lot.

MistaDee

I kept reading "Doors coaster" as like a Jim Morrison West Coast equivalent to Rockin' Roller Coaster. Which would fit the fast-dwindling California theme of the park. Oh, now I get what you meant...

Incredible take

Maybe they go with a Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit style choose your own soundtrack approach? What song would YOU choose?

- Riders on the Storm
- Break on Through
- The End
- Touch Me
- Whisky Bar Alabama Song
- People Are Strange

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom