Disneyland vs. WDW loyalty: What are the reasons you don't visit the other park?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
So this is for people that are Disneyland vets that have never been to WDW but come on these boards anyway (I know of at least a couple) and WDW vets that are on here that have never ventured to Disneyland and I know there are lots on here.

What are your reasons for never visiting the other park yet? Or will you? I'm more of a WDW vet but I did see Disneyland in 2012 and it was well worth it and I would encourage any WDW fan to go see the original. Vice-versa too, WDW is so grand.

So what are you reasons for just sticking to one resort so far?

Gillyanne

For me it's distance. I'm on the east coast so I can easily drive down to WDW (alone or whole family). We've also had a timeshare down there since '86 (though sadly we had to relinquish it b/c the new owners are ridiculous, but we have a back up ;)) Both of these also help cut down on the costs. it's about 1800 miles round trip for me, so depending on gas prices about $250-300, and when using the timeshare I can usually get a condo for about $250/week (I usually do an "extra vacation" sale). This way, coupled with an AP, I'll usually do a year on/year off, Each fall I'll go down for F&W. One year I'll get a AP, then go other time(s) during the year (usually 1-3) and one more time before it expires in the fall. Then wait until the next fall and do it all over again.

I have made it out to DL 2x. 1x was because my best friend was doing coast to coast runDisney so I used it as an opportunity to go out, and the other my family was doing a cross country RV trip, so I talked them into stopping in Anaheim so we could hit DL and I flew out.

I wouldn't be against hitting DL again, I even hope to make it out there for their holiday decorations/overlays sometime, but the regular trips will remain WDW because of the above.

baymenxpac

i imagine it's going to be the same for most: proximity. though for what it costs to spend any length of time at WDW now, a cross-country flight and a few days at disneyland is probably more cost efficient.

believe it or not, though, back in the late '80s and early '90s, conventional wisdom was that WDW was the vastly superior resort in every way: more diverse offerings, far better maintenance, etc.

Disneyfreak Jen

I’m an East coaster so besides the fact that it’s less expensive for airfare, WDW offers more, and I can stay there longer than just a few days. I’m sure DL is great, and I would try to make it a point to check it out if I was out that way.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
So this is for people that are Disneyland vets that have never been to WDW but come on these boards anyway (I know of at least a couple) and WDW vets that are on here that have never ventured to Disneyland and I know there are lots on here.

What are your reasons for never visiting the other park yet? Or will you? I'm more of a WDW vet but I did see Disneyland in 2012 and it was well worth it and I would encourage any WDW fan to go see the original. Vice-versa too, WDW is so grand.

So what are you reasons for just sticking to one resort so far?

For me it's a 30 miles vs 2,500 miles thing.

SteveAZee

I grew up on the east coast, so WDW was the first of the two I frequented. Even after moving west, WDW was my 'home' resort with an occasional day visit once or twice to DLR. About three years ago I decided to give DLR the WDW treatment, so I reserved at the Grand Californian and spent three days at DLR. Candidly, I found Disneyland cramped and it had the feel of a park that had been continually added to and added to without having a great overarching theme.. patched together. I can only imagine what adding Star Wars will do to it. I liked California Adventure more... elbow room and a more relaxed (and adult?) feel to it.

My next trip will be to WDW; I prefer the space, the variety of activities a large resort can offer, and all the things it has compared to DLR... World Showcase, for example. I also like staying at Old Key West... it's a great relaxed and open feel to it while being in the middle of everything.

The Pho

Went to Land once, did not have a good experience to say the least so minimal desire to return. (Had it been my first Disney park experience, I don't think I would have ever gone to another). Meanwhile I'll be making my 12th flight this year alone to World in a couple weeks.

Raineman

I have yet to make it to California, which is the only reason why I haven’t been yet. For me, the appeal of DLR is the historical aspect of it-walk where Walt did, etc. Also, I am curious to find out why DLR is generally viewed as better than the red headed stepchild, WDW.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I have yet to make it to California, which is the only reason why I haven’t been yet. For me, the appeal of DLR is the historical aspect of it-walk where Walt did, etc. Also, I am curious to find out why DLR is generally viewed as better than the red headed stepchild, WDW.

Generally from my standpoint Disneyland is better than Magic Kingdom (WDW as a resort is much better simply because it is bigger with more parks) because from my experience I thought Fantasyland is better, there is a Toontown, Pirates is a better ride, still all of the classic dark rides and more of them, Matterhorn, Indy, etc. On top of it, what surprised me was that you arguably feel more of the "magic" aura at Disneyland. I never thought you could. I mean how is it possible that a park where a busy street is just on the outside of it compared to Magic Kingdom which literally feels like you are transported in another galaxy could feel more magical? But I think it did. You don't even think about the fact that Anaheim is just right there.

Went to Land once, did not have a good experience to say the least so minimal desire to return. (Had it been my first Disney park experience, I don't think I would have ever gone to another). Meanwhile I'll be making my 12th flight this year alone to World in a couple weeks.

What happened?

i imagine it's going to be the same for most: proximity. though for what it costs to spend any length of time at WDW now, a cross-country flight and a few days at disneyland is probably more cost efficient.

believe it or not, though, back in the late '80s and early '90s, conventional wisdom was that WDW was the vastly superior resort in every way: more diverse offerings, far better maintenance, etc.

Isn't it still? There is no comparison to the size differences. There is so much more to offer at WDW, more resorts, more choices to do things, more parks, water parks, etc. Granted Magic Kingdom usually loses out from an individual aspect to Disneyland but that's about it.

Rich T

Distance. Disneyland is six hours from my house. It’s also my preferred park experience with more rides per park, one-minute park hopping, more history, great weather, no need to plan everything in advance... and a less expensive, more casual, different kind of vacation. WDW is great for a big, sprawling resort vacation with a wide variety of things to do over a week or more and much more emphasis on Hotel leisure time. I’m part of the West Coast crowd who have grown to love Disneyland as our personal funtime weekend getaway, requiring very little (sometimes none) advance planning and minimal budgeting. For us a hotel room is just a bed you crash in between leaving the parks at 1:00 AM and heading back to the parks at 6:00 AM :D.

The Pho

What happened?
I'd prefer not to dive too deep into it, but here's some of it.
First experience walking in, one security guard was telling us to do one thing, we listened to him, then another security guard screamed at us for doing what the other guy said. Within the first hour of being in the park we saw guests getting yelled at 5 times. It was a very unwelcoming way to start off our first day at Disneyland. Had that been it, I would've just written it off as bad luck. We also found the cast members in general to really not be very friendly like they are in Florida. They seemed to act like they didn't want us to bother them by talking to them. There seemed to be very little of that Disney passion that I'm used to from the cast members. Oddly enough, I found more Disney passion from the Magic Mountain employees than Disneyland's.

Beyond that there were a few other things I don't really want to mention. Then add in the park being borderline filthy (California Adventure was quite clean though), the poor air quality, the disgustingly dirty parking garages, poor signage to get from parking to the park, and some other minor stuff.

I did love a lot of things there as well, specifically Cars, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, getting to do Mr Toad again, and the Haunted Mansion overlay. But not enough to where I'd want to deal with unpleasant cast members. To be honest I feel like I need to give it another chance, since people don't seem to have the same experiences, but I just don't see making a dedicated trip out there ever again, especially when I could make a trip to World or Cedar Point or even just drive to the local Six Flags.

Goofyernmost

Simple... one is on the West Coast and the other is on the East Coast. I live on the east coast just a 10 hour drive away. I have no reason to go to California. I went once, that was more then enough.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
I've been going to WDW since I was 8 (I'm 41 now). It's what I know and love. I have heard DL is great, and perhaps I will go there someday, but I'm a WDW guy.

Mjt5126

I was born and live on the East Coast so getting to WDW has always been easier. Had to leave my honeymoon in Hawaii early a few months back so finally got to DL for the first time. (My wife had been there before a few times) The resorts are really different and I really like both of them.

I will always be more loyal to WDW because it’s what I grew up on and there is more to do but I am sure we will be back to DL again in a few years. The nice thing about DL is we spent two days there and I felt like I had accomplished what I wanted to. (outside of Matterhorn being closed). It would be very easy to add on to a Cali trip. I will always want more time at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom